Accents

Old Oct 28th 2016, 7:04 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accents

I'm from Yorkshire, and my accent gets misunderstood all the time.

I frequently say "four" and they hear "five".
Old Oct 29th 2016, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

My Irish accent can sometimes be a pain when i have to repeat myself almost every-time in a restaurant, shop etc. This is still the case even when i consciously make an effort to slow down. I do find kiwis hard to understand sometimes, the only difference i hear in the New Zealand accent is the regular Kiwi accent and the Maori accent who speak quite differently at times. While i like the kiwi accent more than most i would much prefer my kids to be brought up in an Irish environment where people are more social and wittier in life
Old Oct 29th 2016, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Celticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud of

Have the same problem, Welsh Accent, spend most of the time having to repeat myself, while i get the Smile and nodding reaction knowing full well they have not understood me.
I just tell them it the accent and nothing much i can do about it.

my Wife is from Yorkshire, but according to her Brother who asked "Why is thou talking Posh"? gets the same reaction as me.

the only word that gets me wound up is the Kiwi plural for Woman........... Woman.
Old Oct 29th 2016, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Leeds originally and I'm always getting asked if I'm Irish???
Folk often comment on how lovely my accent is and they wish they had it, lol! I wish I could get rid of it as I think it sounds really rough but whatever rocks their boat.
'Woman' sounds very cave man doesn't it when they're actually referring to 'women'
Old Oct 29th 2016, 8:55 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I hate the woman/women thing!

I also have been accused of being both Irish and Scottish.
Old Oct 29th 2016, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Celticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud of

the guess list of areas / countries usually starts off with

1 Tyneside..........answer . Im not even English
2 Irish.......... have another try
3 Scottish...... Close, I am a Celt

4 Welsh ?...... finally.. also not from the Valleys that's South Wales, im from the Hills. North Wales.

and now relax.. since ive bu**ered up laying a new patio im off to my DogBox to sulk.

Ian.

Last edited by Celticknight; Oct 29th 2016 at 10:56 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

Also Welsh. I frequently have to give presentations, and apologise up front for the odd accent. A friend of mine said she had no problem understanding me, but it was the maddest accent she'd ever heard.

It took me a while to figure out why the hairdressing place in the mall was called the Sharing Shed. Until I tried it in a Kiwi accent.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 8:09 am
Happy in Wellington

Originally Posted by janiejones

It took me a while to figure out why the hairdressing place in the mall was called the Sharing Shed. Until I tried it in a Kiwi accent.
There's one near us called "Hair by the Sea" which took me a while to realise the Kiwis pronounce hair "Here".

Also a shipping company called "Air to there"
Old Oct 30th 2016, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

There is a caller ID system - I think it might be the infamous Jitstar that requires you to say 'Yes' or 'No' to various options to navigate through the menus. After several frustrating rounds of 'I'm sorry, could you repeat that' in reply to my 'Yes' from the robot I finally drew myself up to my full height and bellowed 'YIS!' down the phone only to be put through.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

I have the Spike Milligan LP record "Muses with Milligan" where he says "get the Scottish Voice".

e.g. it takes a few seconds to tune into what an accent is actually saying

Last edited by LoCarb; Oct 31st 2016 at 4:38 am.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Hysterically when I was in Northern Ireland in the early 90's staying with friends as part of my backpacking days, they actually couldn't understand my Australian accent, bless them!

It was whilst meeting people around UK and Ireland that I realised just how bad my slang was, I actually thought I spoke well! That Aussie slang really embarrassed me at the time, actually!

All in good fun, I met some great people !
Old Oct 31st 2016, 9:23 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Shouldn't the thread title be " Iccents " ?
Old Nov 4th 2016, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

my ex had a job as an Ear Nurse
lost count of the number of kiwis who would ask, Oh, you fly in the rescue helicopters, eh !!
Old Nov 4th 2016, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
my ex had a job as an Ear Nurse
lost count of the number of kiwis who would ask, Oh, you fly in the rescue helicopters, eh !!
My late husband was a Kiwi from Christchurch..

Even after 20 years I still got confused and thought he was saying "bear" when he meant "beer"!
Old Nov 4th 2016, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

We are not exposed to much NZ English in the media. Regional UK accents only started to appear quite recently on TV. Give it time !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.