ABs v Eng

Old Jun 21st 2008, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default ABs v Eng

Just back from the match. This is what I came to NZ for!! Test rugby on my doorstep, and Cricket, and the Alps, Port Hills, beach, 40° temps, no EU, etc etc....

Oh and to all the disappointed England fans, don't worry about the scoreline, England only lack an inspirational Number 10, hurry up and get fit Danny Cipriani
Old Jun 21st 2008, 10:59 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ABs v Eng

Great match, eh? and what an atmosphere - no animosity between fans, first time we've been and just loved it
Old Jun 21st 2008, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

It's rugby - never any animosity between fans. Unless it's Scotland v England at Murrayfield!!
It will be awesome when the new stand is finished. There was a lot more atmosphere than the normal Super 14 games or even the ABs v SA last year. My kids thought it was due to the two drunk Englishmen who were singing and encouraging the ABs fans to get up and do something to support their team, it was hilarious!!! (You don't sing when you're winning!)
Kiwi's are quite reticent normally and don't know how to chant, sing or abuse the ref as a group.
Funny how it was freezing in Goon when we left home, then warm in Chch at the start of the match, then freezing after half time and warm again when we got home, talk about micro-climates!
World class sport 25 mins from home - love it!!
Old Jun 21st 2008, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Barpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant future

Yeah I am just back from the match too. It really was a great occasion. I wasn't expecting the pre-game show to be so spectacular - Awesome!

Some big tackles flying in as well!

Pity it was so one-sided.

Woodlea - I think England need more than just a good number 10 to beat the AB's.

Barry
Old Jun 21st 2008, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Barpolo
Woodlea - I think England need more than just a good number 10 to beat the AB's
Yeah, maybe, but in 2003 when they did it, I think it was that position and you-know-who that sealed it. OK having Martin Johnson and a team that had played together for about 5 years helped!

Yep, the pre match fireworks were better than the Guy Fawkes ones at Brighton last year and the fly-by and the band were good too - altogether a good night. Daughter missed the Crusaders' horses though!

Old Jun 21st 2008, 11:28 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, it was awesome. Was really impressed and loved the jazzed up marching band and fireworks. We sung both national anthems - badly - but at least we had a go. Not too sure what was wrong with England. Unpatriotically we were cheering for the All Blacks - home team now! - but I was really hoping to see another cracking run down the side by Topsy but no-one really seemed to pass to him and we had thought it would be a much closer scoreline. Still a fantastic evening, like Woodlea said, just 25mins from your doorstep and absolutely no problems walking back to the car or traffic-wise getting back out of the city.

Now trying to stay awake for the F1 Grand Prix qualy at midnight
Old Jun 21st 2008, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

No harm in singing both National Anthems - I get a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat for both of them, and sing them both heartily!! I think it's possible to still want England to win and New Zealand to win and on night's like this one of my teams won so I can celebrate!!
Old Jun 21st 2008, 7:38 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with all the above - it was a good match, but we (England) were shambolic going forward and should be taking lessons in attacking from depth. I don't think we ever broke the AB's line - they seemed able to do so with the pommy line at will.

It was good fun though, and the effort was made by loads of English fans which is great to see. T - traitoress that she is - was all made up in AB's shirt, face paints and all that! I kept the faith and went in my England shirt. When we finally get residency I will consider supporting the AB's but until then....

The atmosphere around us was so quiet! To liven things up me & 2 brits behind me gave voice to a few sing-alongs, including 'We love you Topsy, we do....' and 'give the ball to topsy, la la la laa'. Also heard the 'You don't sing when you're winning' a few times which was hilarious. Everyone else was so quiet - typical Kiwi reservedness there really and similar to the AB's vs S. Africa match we went to last year.

Good fun and a great evening. I'm on here this early as was meant to be going sking at Mt Hutt this morning but gale force winds have meant that we are 'on hold' till 9.30 when the weather is reviewed.

I hope it's cancelled really, as I'd appreciate a full day but still - what a weekend, it's what we came here for!
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the Joshlin massive were also in attendance. It was Caitlins first game ever( she is nearly 4 ).
We sang both anthems also, but our son was aghast that we wanted England to win.
The fireworks and sing-song before was great, and was the highlight of Caitlins evening. She wanted to know why Dan Carter wouldn't wave back at her!
We were in the Hadlee stand and seemed to be surrounded by brits and I must admit I was pleasantly suprised with the effort of the UK national anthem On the match front we were found wanting in so many areas. You could not fault the commitment of the players, but technically we were clearly second best. I thought Matthew Tait had a cracking game and was at the heart of all our good stuff-pity his game ended the way it did.
We had a kiwi woman sat behind us with three 7yr old lads and they were great value-they knew all the players, what was going on, who was doing what and loved getting stuck into " topsy turvey" (their words).
Roll on the World Cup....

Lee
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Agreed, only 3 years away, I read somewhere that England were going to be playing their pool matches here in Chch, but I can't find where I read it.

What a beautiful mid-winter day, 15° and the sun is shining and not a breath of wind!