Reload this Page >

about renting a house/apt in NZ

about renting a house/apt in NZ

Old Apr 17th 2015, 7:18 am
Just Joined

MaxxNZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: about renting a house/apt in NZ

Originally Posted by Persephone
I agree with the above, you're better off not restricting yourself to furnished places as these may well be hard to find. Most rentals seem to be unfurnished.

If you're planning on living in NZ longterm then buying furniture may well work out cheaper and easier. Have a look at what's available in the areas you want to live in and compare prices.
It'll also give you more choice when it comes to choosing somewhere. There are plenty of threads on the [lack of] quality in NZ housing stock so limiting yourself to furnished may well mean you end up somewhere completely unsuitable especially if you have a 3year old - I'm thinking mould, damp etc
Many thanks for your advice. I have decided to take the comments from the folks here, and fall back to unfurnished/long-term rent.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

poppy10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: about renting a house/apt in NZ

Will I need a reference from my UK landlord if I am renting a place in NZ for the first time?
Old Jul 27th 2015, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't Poppy, in fact I only formally signed the lease on my current place along with my other two flatmates after I'd been here nearly a year. But then again it won't hurt to have one ready just in case So yes I'd get one.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 11:58 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LauraNotts
I didn't Poppy, in fact I only formally signed the lease on my current place along with my other two flatmates after I'd been here nearly a year. But then again it won't hurt to have one ready just in case So yes I'd get one.
Yeah, do ask for one.

I have heard of people getting a reference from their UK and/or NZ employer or their bank for their landlord. Mostly people who have been living in their own home, not in rented accommodation, so they don't have a landlord to ask for a reference from.

Fortunately, my husband still has his reference from his days of flatting in NZ from several years ago. We also obtained another reference from the UK to show to the NZ landlord, so we were good to go.

This was good when we moved into another short term rental and could refer current NZ letting agent to the previous NZ letting agent.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jul 28th 2015 at 12:01 am. Reason: landlord