Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

About to move into our new rental in Tauranga but still awaiting arrival of container

About to move into our new rental in Tauranga but still awaiting arrival of container

Old Oct 1st 2011, 6:34 am
Just Joined

KheyniK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default About to move into our new rental in Tauranga but still awaiting arrival of container

Hi all! We are a family of 4 and arrived with our PR visas a month ago. Our container has been delayed a little and doesn't arrive til beginning of November and we have managed to secure a gorgeous unfurnished rental in Otumoetai. Although we have been to 'Harvey Norman' and bought 1 bed and 2 mattresses (we brought over sheets in suitcases!) we are lacking in items such as crockery/pans etc. As I am sure there are many others before us that have been in this situation, could I draw on the expertise of any ex-pats and ask what you guys did in this necessary interim period? Are there any organisations set up where we could loan such items for a month? I would love to think we could reciprocate and help others a year down the line when we were in the position to do so. Any advice appreciated! Love Kheya xxx
Old Oct 1st 2011, 9:31 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: About to move into our new rental in Tauranga but still awaiting arrival of conta

Originally Posted by KheyniK
Hi all! We are a family of 4 and arrived with our PR visas a month ago. Our container has been delayed a little and doesn't arrive til beginning of November and we have managed to secure a gorgeous unfurnished rental in Otumoetai. Although we have been to 'Harvey Norman' and bought 1 bed and 2 mattresses (we brought over sheets in suitcases!) we are lacking in items such as crockery/pans etc. As I am sure there are many others before us that have been in this situation, could I draw on the expertise of any ex-pats and ask what you guys did in this necessary interim period? Are there any organisations set up where we could loan such items for a month? I would love to think we could reciprocate and help others a year down the line when we were in the position to do so. Any advice appreciated! Love Kheya xxx
Ahhh, this is along the lines of our "Starter Packs For New Arrivals" thread I tried to start up, sadly been hard to organise.

Anyway welcome to Tauranga.

I'm sure I can grab a few bits and bobs and will text expat friends too if you give me a list of what you need. Should be able to rustle together some stuff by the end of the weekend if that helps?
Old Oct 1st 2011, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: About to move into our new rental in Tauranga but still awaiting arrival of conta

Ahhhhh really?? Loolah that would be so fab! I have cutlery which has been donated to us by new colleagues after 1 day of supply teaching! How kind are people here?!!!! However, we still need the basics like a few plates/bowls/glasses/mugs/pans/coffee plunger/microwave/hoover/iron/ironing board....is that okay? Or a bit too optimistic? Should really go out and buy a good peeler and bottle opener (for wine lol! as those are the 2 things i am using every day. This feels really odd making a list but I really hope to help out when it is our turn! Thanks so much for replying and well done for promoting this community spirit which, sadly, seems to be generally lacking in the UK these days! Love kheya xxxx
Old Oct 1st 2011, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by KheyniK
Ahhhhh really?? Loolah that would be so fab! I have cutlery which has been donated to us by new colleagues after 1 day of supply teaching! How kind are people here?!!!! However, we still need the basics like a few plates/bowls/glasses/mugs/pans/coffee plunger/microwave/hoover/iron/ironing board....is that okay? Or a bit too optimistic? Should really go out and buy a good peeler and bottle opener (for wine lol! as those are the 2 things i am using every day. This feels really odd making a list but I really hope to help out when it is our turn! Thanks so much for replying and well done for promoting this community spirit which, sadly, seems to be generally lacking in the UK these days! Love kheya xxxx
The wine bottles are screw tops so fret not ...

I can help with some plates, bowls, glasses, mugs, iron and ironing board and I'll see what else. Let me know when would be a good time to drop them off or collect, I'm in Papamoa and around later this afternoon and evening.

Cheers.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Wowzers! Gobsmacked! Thanks so much! Cannot believe how organised this all feels now! All thanks to this forum! Really appreciate all your effort. We can collect around 2.30 (so as not to disturb the All Blacks game!!) Is that ok or do you want us to come later? Whatever is best for you -Just need your address in Papamoa so if you don't mind texting me it, that would be grand! Big hugs from us all, Kheya xxx <wee snip> Ps oh yeah!! The wine bottles ARE screw tops! Amazing!

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 2nd 2011 at 5:24 am. Reason: Wee snip of personal phone number . There are some odd people that browse open forums.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 10:53 pm

Will text you address, probably be best after the rugby as I'm out this afternoon and maybe able to pick up some other stuff for you. See you later.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 2:37 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much! We'll pop round (once you text me your address) just after 5.30. Kheya xxx
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit late on this thread, so firstly (& most importantly)....welcome to NZ. I hope you'll be very happy in Tauranga.

If Am Loolah hasn't been able to help you out with the basics that you need I may be able to help. Unfortunately though I'm not back in Papamoa until next weekend...was there this weekend but, of course, didn't see your thread until we got home. Anyway, hopefully you should be pretty well sorted out by now, but do feel free to shout out if there's any glaring gaps, there's a possibility I might be able to help.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

SparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really nice

Welcome to Tauranga.....lots of us about ready to help....keep an eye on here for local meet ups....not been one for a while, will message you to come along to the next beach barbie )
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Bumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really nice

Hope your possessions aren't on the Rena currently stranded off the coast of Tauranga??
Old Oct 15th 2011, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=KheyniK;9651063]Hi all! We are a family of 4 and arrived with our PR visas a month ago. Our container has been delayed a little and doesn't arrive til beginning of November and we have managed to secure a gorgeous unfurnished rental in Otumoetai.

Hi there and welcome to NZ. We bought sleeping bags and picnic plates, ect to tide us over till the shipping came. We figured they were items we would be buying at some point anyway.
Somebody came up with some companies that will rent you pretty much everything you need, from washing machines to kitchen equipment. Try doing a search on this forum for it, or someone else may remeber the company name. Good luck
Kaz
Also farmers are having another 50% off kitchen ware sale this weekend, we bought some great stuff in their last one. Made the stuff I'd shipped over look very tatty when it did arrive.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Rolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at DTR for renting furniture etc in Tauranga. I rented from them a few years back and they were fine. . .

http://www.dtr.co.nz/store_locator.php?id=8#
Old Oct 28th 2011, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Hi just seen this thread - welcome to Tauranga . I pass your way most weekends on way to taking daughter horse riding. We have a couple of air beds & other odds and sods. Let me know what you need & I will see what I can do
Old Oct 28th 2011, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs down Re: About to move into our new rental in Tauranga but still awaiting arrival of conta

Originally Posted by bolton1
Hi just seen this thread - welcome to Tauranga . I pass your way most weekends on way to taking daughter horse riding. We have a couple of air beds & other odds and sods. Let me know what you need & I will see what I can do
Wowzers! Thanks so very much to EVERYONE that replied to this thread on here and through texts...and big apologies for only just getting back! Wireless connection has been temperamental as has been my 'temporary' nz phone from telecom so here is our new landline number instead: <snip> Looking forward to meeting you all at the next BBQ-so now I am back on Internet I will keep my eyes peeled! Thanks to the lovely 'amloolah' for the loan of the 'starter pack'- really appreciate it! Our container is scheduled to arrive w/c 7th Nov so will return everything as soon as! X

Bolton1- if your offer of borrowing an airbed still stands, that would be 'reight good!' as my Sis in law will be visiting soon....(hope you detected my Bolton accent there! Lol- I schooled in Bolton so am intrigued to hear if you are from
my neck of the woods! :-D...) love Kheya xxx

Last edited by Am Loolah; Oct 29th 2011 at 2:02 am. Reason: Best not to post personal contact details on the main forum.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 2:03 am

We are planning a provisional meet up for the 12th November, see the meet ups section, be good to see you again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.