British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   9 months in - Advice! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/9-months-advice-903813/)

simonsi Oct 1st 2017 6:26 pm

Re: 9 months in - Advice!

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12350577)
No Statutory Sick Pay ? What do people do for income when they get sick ?

Yep NZ is further right-wing than Europe, more self-reliance and less of a fluffy nanny-state is the cultural approach.

Of course if everyone wanted a nanny-state we could have stayed in Europe - nothing wrong with my reading I can assure you.

garethwm Oct 1st 2017 7:03 pm

Its not quite so bad. Employees are entitled to at least 5 days paid sick leave per year. Sometimes more, depending on the employer and the contract. Theres also ACC entitlements for injuries etc. If you pull a muscle in your back that stops you working, you will receive, I think, about 80% of your pay while youre off.

simonsi Oct 1st 2017 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by garethwm (Post 12351132)
Its not quite so bad. Employees are entitled to at least 5 days paid sick leave per year. Sometimes more, depending on the employer and the contract. Theres also ACC entitlements for injuries etc. If you pull a muscle in your back that stops you working, you will receive, I think, about 80% of your pay while youre off.

Thats partly the point though, ACC covers accidental injuries, not all-encompassing illness. At least the ACC approach keeps car insurance premiums under control.

MAZ-10 Oct 1st 2017 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12350675)
This explains it.

Use holiday time . Borrow from the following year. Unpaid leave. Use savings , take a loan or borrow somehow.

The recommendation is that one has the equivalent of 3 months income stashed for such times.

Trying to stash enough money to cover 3 months income should we be unable to work, is a big ask. I can't imagine this is achievable by many people unfortunately.

sr71 Oct 2nd 2017 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12350677)
NZ is pretty hard-ass and people are resentful of providing help for the poor or the sick folks that have fallen on hard times.

I think it needs to be, there is a large segment of the population that feels entitled and would take the mickey. Personally I think the British system is a joke and there are far too many abusers, they need to clamp down.

dfjordan Oct 2nd 2017 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by sr71 (Post 12351982)
I think it needs to be, there is a large segment of the population that feels entitled and would take the mickey. Personally I think the British system is a joke and there are far too many abusers, they need to clamp down.

I agree that there are many who abuse the British system, but then there will always be abusers of any system. I think it is far better to have a system that helps those who genuinely need it, and accept the abusers that arent caught, than to have no system at all.

Timmy Chch Oct 3rd 2017 3:23 am

Disagree strongly. You pay a few bucks a week for insurance if you're worried about this. Peeps more chilled out here so it suits some, others get insurance

ChrisRobinson Oct 6th 2017 10:44 am

You are right to be concerned about healthcare!

Our experience was farcical, we were sold a lifestyle block contaminated with Arsenic and God knows what else, the effects on our lives were dreadful. See
<snip> for full details but briefly I was first diagnosed with a serious heart condition - lack of breath and chest pains - it took four years of agony before they found I had serious reflux - Barratt's disease! The arsenic affected my vision - bubbles formed in the lenses giving cataract type loss of sight - no treatment available except private lens replacement - $30,000! Been back in UK 6 months - my surgery on NHS is next week! Our son was chronically fatigued, they gave him lots of anti depressants - he is now fighting the addiction caused and being treated for the real cause!

Overall, NZ health care is very expensive and apart from some private facilities of low quality, the GP's moan about cost restrictions on drugs and treatment, they do their best but their hands are tied financially.

It also sounds like your employers are cashing in on your experience and not paying you a decent wage, living costs in NZ are wild compared to UK so it must be a massive downgrade in lifestyle!

Justcol Oct 7th 2017 2:24 am

Not an everyday occurrence in the lives of 99.999% of people here.

First thoughts were buyer beware and due diligence.

Glad you got treatment you're happy with

Andrew.Family Oct 12th 2017 7:10 pm

I can see why people moving over would be concerned. In the UK we do have a generous sick pay system. Even so, we have always paid for income protection, just in case we become very poorly. Thankfully we haven't needed it.

Do many people take out income protection in NZ? As we won't have any support network when we get arrive, I think if we can afford it we will take it out.

Your comments have been interesting to read, thanks for sharing.

Justcol Oct 12th 2017 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew.Family (Post 12359700)
Do many people take out income protection in NZ? As we won't have any support network when we get arrive, I think if we can afford it we will take it out.

As in the UK some do and some don't.
I don't, my wife does

Andrew.Family Oct 12th 2017 8:23 pm

Where in NZ are you? We are at the beginning of our journey and likely to be going to Wellington as I need to have a job to secure a visa and the job needs to be outside Auckland.

Justcol Oct 12th 2017 11:22 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Andrew.Family (Post 12359773)
Where in NZ are you? We are at the beginning of our journey and likely to be going to Wellington as I need to have a job to secure a visa and the job needs to be outside Auckland.

I live about 100km south of Dunedin in a quiet little backwater town.

Not many jobs around here I'm afraid