British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   9 months in - Advice! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/9-months-advice-903813/)

MAZ-10 Sep 27th 2017 5:05 am

Re: 9 months in - Advice!

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 12347587)
So if I understand this correctly, you are afraid of staying here in case you get sick?

Income protection insurance will set you back approx $10/week.

Or you could get one of these.

https://sc01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1NxGZX...r-presonal.jpg

Many thanks, will definitely look at the links

BEVS Sep 27th 2017 5:20 am

Originally Posted by MAZ-10 (Post 12347644)
Many thanks, will definitely look at the links

Catcha is lovely . A very innovative fella who, together with his wife and children have really settled well and made an enjoyable life for themselves a few hours from me here in NZ

So is Justcol in his own way. He has been through the mill a bit and come out the other side. He likes to play tough. Just send him big kissies or waggle like this at him. Attachment 128614

Both know it is not all plain sailing. Both have made good lives here.

smudge1 Sep 28th 2017 8:31 am

I can understand your concerns and empathise fully as I felt exactly the same way. We were more or less the same age as you when we moved to NZ and I think at that age you do start thinking more about the later years, possible health issues, retirement income etc. I knew within the first few months that NZ was not right for me although my husband was much happier there. We very nearly headed back to UK after a few months but decided to stick it out and try harder to settle for the sake of our son who we felt would have a better future in NZ. As it turns out we stayed for twelve years and those first few years caused some major stress and mental health issues. We are back in UK now and I can honestly say that I wish we had returned when we first thought about it all those years ago as I feel so much time has been wasted worrying and wondering what if..and missing the diversity that UK offers. NZ is a truly beautiful country and it was an experience but I think if it's just beautiful scenery you want, live back in the UK where you can earn a decent living and feel some kind of financial and social security, and maybe take more holidays in Europe...that is our intention.

MAZ-10 Sep 28th 2017 8:40 am

Originally Posted by smudge1 (Post 12348679)
I can understand your concerns and empathise fully as I felt exactly the same way. We were more or less the same age as you when we moved to NZ and I think at that age you do start thinking more about the later years, possible health issues, retirement income etc. I knew within the first few months that NZ was not right for me although my husband was much happier there. We very nearly headed back to UK after a few months but decided to stick it out and try harder to settle for the sake of our son who we felt would have a better future in NZ. As it turns out we stayed for twelve years and those first few years caused some major stress and mental health issues. We are back in UK now and I can honestly say that I wish we had returned when we first thought about it all those years ago as I feel so much time has been wasted worrying and wondering what if..and missing the diversity that UK offers. NZ is a truly beautiful country and it was an experience but I think if it's just beautiful scenery you want, live back in the UK where you can earn a decent living and feel some kind of financial and social security, and maybe take more holidays in Europe...that is our intention.

Thank you for your response. We are taking each day as it comes, looking into possible solutions to our problems and will see how we feel in the coming months.
It's such an expensive move that we want to give it our best and try to make the right decision for us all, but I totally hear what you're saying. We've had the exact same conversation! 😬

escapedtonz Sep 28th 2017 9:16 am

Originally Posted by MAZ-10 (Post 12347583)
He is a health physicist by trade, so primarily nuclear licensed facilities, but worked for and in areas that are being decommissioned and have had radiological materials. I'm sure it's a lot more complex than I've described, but that's kind of the gist.

A mate of mine and his Mrs work for a company (MSD or Merck Sharpe & Dohme) in Upper Hutt, Wellington that utilizes radioactive rods in an equipment sterilization facility. The rods are held in a tank of water, as you'd expect and lifted out to frazzle the life out of anything when equipment to be sterilized passes through.....what could possibly go wrong aye!!! :eek:
Mates Mrs is the one who got the big job there that brought them over to NZ. My mate is working there temporary while he's doing a PhD at Wellington Uni.
Apparently great pay and great t's&c's and they've absolutely bent over backwards and sideways to help them out. Gave my mate a temporary job on decent pay when he was looking for work during his Uni studies and agreed flexible working as they have 3 kids plus huge pay rise to keep her from going to Fonterra yada yada.
May be an option ?

MAZ-10 Sep 28th 2017 9:38 am

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 12348705)
A mate of mine and his Mrs work for a company (MSD or Merck Sharpe & Dohme) in Upper Hutt, Wellington that utilizes radioactive rods in an equipment sterilization facility. The rods are held in a tank of water, as you'd expect and lifted out to frazzle the life out of anything when equipment to be sterilized passes through.....what could possibly go wrong aye!!! :eek:
Mates Mrs is the one who got the big job there that brought them over to NZ. My mate is working there temporary while he's doing a PhD at Wellington Uni.
Apparently great pay and great t's&c's and they've absolutely bent over backwards and sideways to help them out. Gave my mate a temporary job on decent pay when he was looking for work during his Uni studies and agreed flexible working as they have 3 kids plus huge pay rise to keep her from going to Fonterra yada yada.
May be an option ?

Thanks for this info! It's really helpful and definitely a positive to look into. We will check out the company and see whether hubby has anything to offer them! Fingers crossed! πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ˜„

Timmy Chch Sep 29th 2017 2:11 am

Try the pulpmills here as they use radiation-based level gauges. Every worker and contractor needs training when first on-site. Now I see why you're worried about sick leave!

MAZ-10 Sep 30th 2017 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch (Post 12349532)
Try the pulpmills here as they use radiation-based level gauges. Every worker and contractor needs training when first on-site. Now I see why you're worried about sick leave!

Awesome thanks, we’ll definitely look into this!
And at least by glowing in the dark we save on electric bills! πŸ˜‚

scot47 Sep 30th 2017 5:26 pm

No Statutory Sick Pay ? What do people do for income when they get sick ?

Pollyana Sep 30th 2017 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12350577)

Probably the same as in Australia, apply for a new credit card, beg off your friends, if you have any, and go hungry.

scot47 Sep 30th 2017 7:23 pm

Time for you guys to read up on the Welfare State. Bismarck had the idea and it was pinched by Lloyd George. The 1945 Pommy Labour Government did a lot. Time for you guys to catch up !

MAZ-10 Sep 30th 2017 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12350631)
Time for you guys to read up on the Welfare State. Bismarck had the idea and it was pinched by Lloyd George. The 1945 Pommy Labour Government did a lot. Time for you guys to catch up !

Absolutely! I just don’t understand the lack of investment in people!

BEVS Sep 30th 2017 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12350577)

This explains it.

Use holiday time . Borrow from the following year. Unpaid leave. Use savings , take a loan or borrow somehow.

The recommendation is that one has the equivalent of 3 months income stashed for such times.

Bo-Jangles Sep 30th 2017 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12350631)

NZ did have a pretty good welfare system in years gone by, but various Governments have implemented radical 'reforms' and managed to cut large chunks out of that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_of_all_Budgets

NZ is pretty hard-ass and people are resentful of providing help for the poor or the sick folks that have fallen on hard times.

Justcol Oct 1st 2017 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12350677)
NZ is pretty hard-ass and people are resentful of providing help for the poor or the sick folks that have fallen on hard times.

Not in any place I've ever lived in NZ.
The Brits and kiwis I know down here are the friendliest, most helpful, generous
and caring people I have ever known.

Maybe some folk are just mixing with the wrong people...!!