8weeks to go

Old Jul 18th 2015, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Somersettochristchurch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 8weeks to go

My hubby is a floor installer too and works out of central Christchurch. I would suggest that you really need to look at as many houses in as many areas as you can within your budget, then take a closer look at the area; go to the places you would use such as supermarket, library, park, school etc. to try to get a feel for the suburb. Where are you staying when you first arrive and for how long? In an ideal world it would be good to stay in short-term temporary accommodation until you've had a chance to "suss out" areas - something you should be able to do relatively quickly if you're working all over the city. When we planned our big move over here we originally intended to live within the city fringes but no-where really felt right so we've ended up in North Canterbury over 50km away, my hubby leaves home at 6am to miss traffic - takes around 45mins. Fortuantely he is happy to do that so that we can live somewhere that we all love. He also says that the drive home helps him leave work behind so he can forget about it until the next day! On a plus side you get more for your money too but it obviously depends on whether you're happy with a longer commute. Whereabouts in the UK are you from are you a village, small town or city family? Hope this helps, any questions feel free to shout � ����
Old Jul 18th 2015, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Timaru is little, about 30,000 people ish. I found it too small for me as a youngish single person and quite cliquey. Otherwise it has good facilities - there is a large swimming pool/gym by the bay and a pretty large indoor sports hall up towards the west of town.

It's probably a little far to commute to Christchurch daily but you could think about Ashburton?
Old Jul 19th 2015, 6:43 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LauraNotts
Timaru is little, about 30,000 people ish. I found it too small for me as a youngish single person and quite cliquey. Otherwise it has good facilities - there is a large swimming pool/gym by the bay and a pretty large indoor sports hall up towards the west of town.

It's probably a little far to commute to Christchurch daily but you could think about Ashburton?
Ash would be a huge commute daily. I'm in methven I know people who commute from here and it takes them over an hour
Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

I know of quite a few people through friends who commute from Ashburton. It's not a choice I'd make but it's an outside possibility.