8weeks to go

Old Jul 14th 2015, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

James.crossland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 8weeks to go

Me, my partner and our 7year old daughter move to christchurch in 8 weeks. I am working for a company in phillipstown and would appreciate any advice on the surrounding areas. Thanks
Old Jul 14th 2015, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8weeks to go

Originally Posted by James.crossland
Me, my partner and our 7year old daughter move to christchurch in 8 weeks. I am working for a company in phillipstown and would appreciate any advice on the surrounding areas. Thanks
People will say it is a bit rough, but it does vary street by street if you are intending to live round there. There are plenty of lovely areas within an easy commute so just have a look around when you get here. I work in Woolston which borders Phillipstown but commute from Rangiora. Who are you working for?

Oh - and welcome to the forum, any questions, just ask!

Last edited by Woodlea; Jul 14th 2015 at 8:18 pm. Reason: forgot the welcome!
Old Jul 14th 2015, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Thank for you reply, im working for a flooring firm called hills. The work will be all over the city but phillipstown is where they are based. I would like to be within 20minutes drive but if its not very nice i wouldnt want my partner and daughter to be there while im out at work. Also the suburb we live in would have to have good schooling if possible, any information about this would be greatly appreciated
Old Jul 14th 2015, 9:17 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

welcome and how very exciting for you. we have a fair few people in and around ChCH so sure you will get lots of help.

make sure you put your details in the sticky above when the time is near
Old Jul 14th 2015, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

No brainer here (if you can afford it)

Lyttleton
Redcliffs
Sumner
Port Hills
Heathcote
Mount Pleasant

You'll not be disappointed with those areas.

Infact I'd highly recommend Lyttleton to you. It's about a 15/20 minute drive to Phillipstown on the highway before the roundabout. If you are having to go other areas - you've got easy access to the southern motorway from there - or you can drive past the wetlands to north and eastern areas.

Last edited by Tom H; Jul 14th 2015 at 11:07 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 1:02 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Phillipstown will be ok to work not live in. Remembering walking down Olivers Road makes me shudder even now. We lived in Linwood from March 2011 to June 2011. I thought Linwood, a neighbouring suburb to Phillipstown, was OK, Worcester Street, Linwood to be precise but my husband didn't like it. Hard to recall it without the earthquake damage. Although not much had changed when I went on a sentimental journey back there in August last year.

Linwood/Phillipstown is where the east of Christchurch starts. The east of any city is usually where the more affordable rents are. New Brighton is a beachside suburb. A lot of buildings got damaged in the earthquake and I don't know if they got fixed. The rumour was they were just dropping cost of the rent and not bothering to make the repairs !

It's about 20 minutes bus ride from Linwood/Phillipstown to New Brighton. So, I assume the drive would be shorter than the bus ride. Then you could be living at the beach and still only 45 minutes from Christchurch town centre, or, the pop up mall as it is currently. There's a small town centre in New Brighton.

Riccarton is a suburb nearer the centre and will have more facilities and it's closer to Hagley Park which is the main park in Christchurch. It's very nice. It has the river Avon which looks like a small stream. Netball courts and the only public golf course in the country are there too i.e not fenced off and anyone can play.

Riccarton became the unofficial town centre when Christchurch town centre was cordoned off and described as the red zone after the earthquakes of Feb 2011. This is because so many of the buildings had red stickers on them as they were structurally damaged and unsafe to enter or occupy. The Christchurch Red Zone stayed in place for many months after the earthquake of February 2011.

Good luck with finishing your preparations to come to NZ. Hope you all have a good journey.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jul 15th 2015 at 1:42 am. Reason: better sentence construction
Old Jul 15th 2015, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom H
Infact I'd highly recommend Lyttleton to you.
I wouldn't recommend Lyttelton because of the lack of winter evening sun.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 1:51 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom H
No brainer here (if you can afford it)

Lyttleton
Redcliffs
Port Hills

You'll not be disappointed with those areas.
Um, here's my opinion:

Lyttleton - you will have to drive through the Lyttleton tunnel twice a day to get to work and back. How structurally sound is it these days ? OK is it ? Good job there'll be no more earthquakes then.....

Redcliffs - my abiding memory of Redcliffs is all the sea containers they had at the bottom of those same red coloured cliffs to act as a retaining wall for the cliffs that were landing at the foot of those same cliffs.

Port Hills - Here's some friendly advice regarding renting in Christchurch. Do not live on a hill. The earth has had so much shaking from successive earthquakes it won't take much for those dwellings to fall off. Try to rent on a 'flat section' this description will become part of your house renting/buying vocabulary in New Zealand.

Cashmere is an expensive suburb of Christchurch. Memorial Avenue is a very busy road that leads to the airport. Lots of rentals there but you might not want to live on a main road. Hornby is ok but very industrial and miles away from Phillipstown.

Under the Red Verandah is a coffee shop on the corner of Worcester Street and um, Tancred Street or something like that. Nice coffee. We watched it being reconstructed after being bowled by the earthquake back in 2011. To bad they could not rebuild the city centre or residential homes as fast.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jul 15th 2015 at 1:57 am. Reason: leaning against an open door.....
Old Jul 15th 2015, 5:55 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi James

I would say St Martins or Beckingham if you can afford it. If you want something more affordable Shirley is nice too. Generally speaking the east side is the lower decile side of town and where most of the earthquake damage is. Having said that there are some nice areas like Waimairi Beach and Tumara Park area.

I would personally avoid the Port Hills. Stunning views yes, but unless your house is positioned correctly it will lose sunlight and get cold (hello huge power bills ) Also, I happen to think earthquakes and houses on hills do not mix, as Snap Shot has already pointed out! Lyttleton is a similar story I believe.

You may decide to look out of Chch altogether, which is what we did when we bought a house. There are places out west of the city like Rolleston, Lincoln, Prebbleton or West Melton all between 20-30 mins out of Chch. I live in North Canterbury about 25 km out of Chch and really like it out here. However, rush hour traffic from out this way is diabolical so I wouldn't recommend it unless you can get away with commuting at quiter times. Too much growth, not enough roads is basically the problem. A new by-pass is being built at the moment, which should hopefully ease congestion in future.

No matter which area you decide on make sure your home has a decent heat source. Believe it or not some rental homes do not and when it gets down to -5 degrees at night you don't want to be lying in your bed freezing wondering what the heck you've done moving here!

Any more questions ask away.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

I'd move to Woolston. You just need to be prepared to spend a bit on your house and you'll be fine. There's also Opawa or Hillsborough (urgh!!!) which are both fine areas and can get you out to roads that take you everywhere

Failing that, Cashmere isn't that expensive. Also Brighton isn't too far drive wise. Brighton is no where near as bad as some make it out to be. It has a great beach, lovely parks and is affordable. Unlike the vastly overrated Northshore or Queens Park.

How long would you be happy with on commuting. Just the southern motorway moves and can link you to Rolleston. Rolleston is lovely and growing. It's in the Selwyn district which has far cheaper council rates than Christchurch. My big regret was not moving there as we chose Amberley instead.

Don't come north! Unless you are prepared for at least a 60 minute commute. It takes me anywhere between 60 to 90 minutes to commute at 7.30 from Amberley to Addington. Some of my colleagues leave at 5am to avoid the traffic. They must lead such fun lives to be sad enough to do that.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

This is fantastic thanks everyone im glad i joined, this is so much easier than searching across the internet for hours. My partner has relatives in timaru, does anybody know what it is like there or what the commute is like? We are a very active family and would like sports oppurtunities ie cricket and football (proper football not aussie rules )
Old Jul 15th 2015, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Blade Down Under
Don't come north! Unless you are prepared for at least a 60 minute commute. It takes me anywhere between 60 to 90 minutes to commute at 7.30 from Amberley to Addington. Some of my colleagues leave at 5am to avoid the traffic. They must lead such fun lives to be sad enough to do that.
Hold up, while it is fair to say traffic is a nightmare at certain times, if your working hours are flexible then going north is a good option. You may think it is sad to get up early to beat the traffic, I think it is sad to sit in traffic for 60 to 90 minutes a day. Like I have said before on here my commute is 36/37 minutes from the north side of Rangiora to Woolston if I leave at 5.45 am, and I'm home playing with my son in the garden by 3.45 pm.
Rangiora is an historical town with far more facilities than Rolleston, even while still in rebuild mode it has lots more to offer.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by James.crossland
This is fantastic thanks everyone
You're welcome

im glad i joined, this is so much easier than searching across the internet for hours
Good on ya !

My partner has relatives in timaru, does anybody know what it is like there or what the commute is like?
Timaru is a small Canterbury town. There is a poster that contributes to this site occasionally who lives in Timaru, screen name is possibly MrsGreen. I think she was finding Timaru a wee bit to small and provincial to live and work in. Here's the link to a thread regarding a discussion about Timaru recently:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...ghlight=Timaru

There's a poster on this forum by the name of LauraNotts used to live in Timaru but moved to Christchurch.

The commute from Timaru to Christchurch is about 164kms one way that's over 100 miles one way. Although I was driving 150km round trip last year from Whanganui to Palmerston North and back for work. That's fifty miles each way. Good job petrol is cheap (compared to Britain) in this country.

We are a very active family and would like sports oppurtunities ie cricket and football (proper football not aussie rules
)
Look around i.e. noticeboards or ask around when you get to NZ or Google it. You'll be arriving at the end of the NZ winter so Rugby is the go until cricket starts in the Summer.

Especially as they will shortly be ramping up the 2015 Rugby World Cup advertising.

P.S. look up prospective properties to rent on TradeMe.co.nz, it's a very useful popular search tool. It's good for other stuff too. It's been described as the NZ version of e-bay, it's good for job vacancies too.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jul 16th 2015 at 8:52 am. Reason: made a correction
Old Jul 16th 2015, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

There are football leagues in Christchurch. I was a member of a football team in Merivale whilst we lived there and played a few games. It didn't last when we moved to Pegasus as i'm golf mad.

There's also an indoor sports arena which holds indoor leagues. I think you just need to register a team and then you can participate during the season.

Plus football is becoming the number one sport youngsters are taking up. Hopefully with the success of the 2010 world cup and Auckland Citys success at the recent world championships, football in New Zealand will take off.

There is nothing wrong with Australian Rules football by the way! I recommend a trip to the MCG to watch Hawthorne or Melbourne in the Aussie Rules, particularly against the South Sydney Swans. The Aussies know how to create an atmosphere and it's much better than waving your flags when horses come by, or attempt to do 1,608,375 Mexican waves during 80 minutes of rugby.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 10:03 pm
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

All the best with the move

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.