British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   800 Words (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/800-words-913214/)

Rete May 26th 2018 8:17 pm

800 Words

I'm an American who is hooked on the series "800 Words". I'm awaiting the new season and getting conflicting reports on FB and the internet when I search to find out if the show was renewed and if series 4 will be shown. Does anyone in NZ know?

Justcol May 27th 2018 7:23 am

Re: 800 Words

I believe it has been canned

If you get withdrawal symptoms try Shortland street, its just as bad

escapedtonz May 27th 2018 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12505681)
I'm an American who is hooked on the series "800 Words". I'm awaiting the new season and getting conflicting reports on FB and the internet when I search to find out if the show was renewed and if series 4 will be shown. Does anyone in NZ know?

Hi,
Yeah 800 Words is just awesome. We've been hooked since the beginning. We even downloaded the Series 3 episodes a couple of weeks earlier than they were shown in NZ as we just couldn't wait.

Funny story.......

From November 2014 till January 2017 we rented a house in Bethlehem, Tauranga and as you do we got pretty friendly with our Kiwi neighbours albeit the husband was the Kiwi and the wife originally from Scotland but still has the Scottish twang. Kids played together often and we occasionally went round as a family for dinner and a chat. Anyways it's only after around 2 years did we find out the maiden surname of the lady next door.....Thomson.
As soon as we heard that something clicked. She'd never mentioned much about her family........just snippets of them moving from Scotland to Tauranga, New Zealand when they were young and we did meet her mother a few times as she is also still local and often visits. Putting all that together with her maiden surname led us to believe the actor Erik Thomson is her brother which was confirmed when we did a bit of Facebook stalking a found a family photo of them all.

So, Australia's Seven Network announced early December 2017 that they will air 800 Words Series 4 later this year in 2018. The team have been filming over on the West Cost for a while so far as people have mentioned on Facebook etc.

Cheers

Rete May 27th 2018 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12505850)
I believe it has been canned

If you get withdrawal symptoms try Shortland street, its just as bad

I'd love to see if but have to find a streaming channel that airs it.

Rete May 27th 2018 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 12505852)
Hi,
Yeah 800 Words is just awesome. We've been hooked since the beginning. We even downloaded the Series 3 episodes a couple of weeks earlier than they were shown in NZ as we just couldn't wait.

I knew I wasn't alone. I binged watched it all one weekend.

Funny story.......

From November 2014 till January 2017 we rented a house in Bethlehem, Tauranga and as you do we got pretty friendly with our Kiwi neighbours albeit the husband was the Kiwi and the wife originally from Scotland but still has the Scottish twang. Kids played together often and we occasionally went round as a family for dinner and a chat. Anyways it's only after around 2 years did we find out the maiden surname of the lady next door.....Thomson.
As soon as we heard that something clicked. She'd never mentioned much about her family........just snippets of them moving from Scotland to Tauranga, New Zealand when they were young and we did meet her mother a few times as she is also still local and often visits. Putting all that together with her maiden surname led us to believe the actor Erik Thomson is her brother which was confirmed when we did a bit of Facebook stalking a found a family photo of them all.
How ironic is that. No way to bring it up to her or mom without perhaps causing a problem. If they are reluctant to embrace the relationship publicly, you don't want to cause a distance with good friends and neighbors.

So, Australia's Seven Network announced early December 2017 that they will air 800 Words Series 4 later this year in 2018. The team have been filming over on the West Cost for a while so far as people have mentioned on Facebook etc.

Cheers
Then perhaps Acorn will have it in early 2019 ... At least now I know there is going to be a season 4. Thanks.

BEVS May 27th 2018 7:36 pm

What is it?

Rete May 27th 2018 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12506102)
What is it?

A fictional series made in New Zealand and I'm assuming filmed there as well. It is about a family of our, mom, dad, daughter and son. The mom is killed in a traffic accident and the dad moves the kids to a place in New Zealand that he went to as a boy with his family that he has fond memories of. The show deals with how they all cope with the loss of the mom, dad, who writes a column, continues working and how they all try to fit into their new home.

Well acted and a good story plot.

Mishclark Jun 5th 2018 9:54 am

I live in Australia where Channel 7 is based who makes the show, last I saw it was not making a new series but I could be wrong.

I hope they do, I love Erik Thomson and have watched him in many shows over here.

As for Shortland street, just don't go there...maybe worse than Bold and the Beautiful?!!

Michelle :)

bearskin Jun 5th 2018 6:44 pm

I liked the first couple of series of 800 Words a lot. Well written and decently acted.

escapedtonz Jun 9th 2018 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12506149)
A fictional series made in New Zealand and I'm assuming filmed there as well. It is about a family of our, mom, dad, daughter and son. The mom is killed in a traffic accident and the dad moves the kids to a place in New Zealand that he went to as a boy with his family that he has fond memories of. The show deals with how they all cope with the loss of the mom, dad, who writes a column, continues working and how they all try to fit into their new home.

Well acted and a good story plot.

Yep. Beach filming is Piha and Karekare on the West Coast and the fictional town of Weld is Warkworth to the North of Whangaparaoa Peninsula.

Snap Shot Jun 9th 2018 7:41 am

I only remember it now Escape2enzed did a storyline synopsis. We tried watching it but bailed when it got predictable. (Meaningless silent scenes of the Dad trying to surf and meeting / not meeting someone on the beach that day.) Didn't want to cringe through more predictable or non existent story lines.

There's more to NZ than it's coastline.