British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   8 Month Observations ... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/8-month-observations-503495/)

Am Loolah Jan 4th 2008 9:47 am

8 Month Observations ...

Bizarre title I grant you, but I felt the need to share?!:o

A couple of things about having lived here for 8 months now

We live one road back from the beach - and go to the beach at most twice a week.

Work is still work and it can be darn hard and all absorbing.

We still drink and smoke.(:o)

We still don't technically exercise more. Although I got an "Ab King Pro" and didn't lose the promised 42kgs in 3 minutes. My Bolly Belly is still in place.

You do occasionally miss the ease of shops like Asda - even though you hated them whilst living in the UK.

In the next couple of months we will be;

Replacing the blown up people carrier with a 4X4 people carrier to take all 6 of us on weekend trips complete with surf boards, dogs and tent ... :eek:

We will be using the fishing rods that have decorated the garage for the last 2 months after their one outing.

Apparently we will be going camping. Our 15 year old daughter is, naturally, thrilled at the prospect.:thumbup:

We will be buying a boat!!!:thumbsup:

We will not be returning to the UK at any point in the foreseeable future.

We have had the best Christmas holiday, having anticipated that it would be very strange/horrid! It wasn't ... it was sweet as ...

P2L Jan 4th 2008 9:53 am

Re: 8 Month Observations ...

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 5737883)
Bizarre title I grant you, but I felt the need to share?!

A couple of things about having lived here for 8 months now

We live one road back from the beach - and go to the beach at most twice a week.

Work is still work and it can be darn hard and all absorbing.

We still drink and smoke.()

We still don't technically exercise more. Although I got an "Ab King Pro" and didn't lose the promised 42kgs in 3 minutes. My Bolly Belly is still in place.

You do occasionally miss the ease of shops like Asda - even though you hated them whilst living in the UK.

In the next couple of months we will be;

Replacing the blown up people carrier with a 4X4 people carrier to take all 6 of us on weekend trips complete with surf boards, dogs and tent ... :eek:

We will be using the fishing rods that have decorated the garage for the last 2 months after their one outing.

Apparently we will be going camping. Our 15 year old daughter is, naturally, thrilled at the prospect.:thumbup:

We will be buying a boat!!!:thumbsup:

We will not be returning to the UK at any point in the foreseeable future.

We have had the best Christmas holiday, having anticipated that it would be very strange/horrid! It wasn't ... it was sweet as ...

Oi you silly moo!!! :eek::eek::eek:

It's been NINE months not 8!!!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: We arrived in April!!!!!!
May, June, July, August ...............

Am Loolah Jan 4th 2008 9:59 am

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 5737899)
Oi you silly moo!!! :eek::eek::eek:

It's been NINE months not 8!!!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: We arrived in April!!!!!!
May, June, July, August ...............

Oh dear, there I go again - just like your favourite Auntie with tourettes ... yes 9 months!! :blink::rofl::p

P2L Jan 4th 2008 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 5737927)
Oh dear, there I go again - just like your favourite Auntie with tourettes ... yes 9 months!! :blink::rofl::p

Time flies when you're having fun ( and the sun shines for 10 months of the year!!;))

Batty Jan 4th 2008 10:06 am

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 5737932)
( and the sun shines for 10 months of the year!!;))

Sssshhhhh :D Nobody's supposed to know that! :lol: I'm glad you're having fun AL - it's a cool place to be. It's been sweltering hasn't it? OH reckons it used to be like this before he went to Europe 15 years ago. What's everyone going to complain about if the weather in New Zealand gets better? :lol: I'm heading towards my three years now and couldn't imagine living in any other country.

Maz Jan 4th 2008 11:27 am

Hee hee hee about the time Caroline! ;) :rofl:

Those are some lovely observations. It seems to be working out really well for all of you. :) I remember your struggle to get your family track entry to NZ, ugh! Far worse for you than for your children, if memory serves.

Anyway, rock on, and enjoy it all! :thumbup: :beer: :) :) :)

uk+kiwi Jan 4th 2008 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 5737883)
Bizarre title I grant you, but I felt the need to share?!:o

9 months ..... already!

Great post. Happy New Year. Looks set to be an exciting one! :)

misterjingo Jan 4th 2008 1:13 pm

Thanks for sharing! I'm not going to be over there for another year, but i'm already excited :rofl:

Am Loolah Jan 5th 2008 9:22 am

Originally Posted by misterjingo (Post 5738606)
Thanks for sharing! I'm not going to be over there for another year, but i'm already excited :rofl:

Thanks guys ... and I forgot to say - we all tried surfing - even the Hubster - and it was so good to be doing something all together and laughing our heads off - until someone else mentioned the recent shark sightings?!:eek::eek::eek:

Kayaking tomorrow!:thumbup::thumbsup::unsure:

lardyl Jan 5th 2008 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 5742339)
Thanks guys ... and I forgot to say - we all tried surfing - even the Hubster - and it was so good to be doing something all together and laughing our heads off - until someone else mentioned the recent shark sightings?!:eek::eek::eek:

good on ya Loolah, enjoy .....
..... we're off to do the South Island thing next week, first proper holiday and hopefully get my head straight about work, etc! :)

Marika 38 Jan 5th 2008 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 5742339)

love your post, but i wish i had known about the surfing, i would have loved to have walked past that day and seen your Dave out in the waves, bless him. I didn't know about the shark sightings, is that for real, or am i being taken in again :o.
Enjoy your kayaking tomorrow.
By the way, i think you may have forgotten to mention one of your 2008 highlights will of course be taking me for sushi, i shall look forward to it. :wub: ;)

Nerine Jan 6th 2008 9:02 am

Gosh that 8 months went quickly! great to hear things are going well for you :)

Am Loolah Jan 7th 2008 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Marika 38 (Post 5742740)
love your post, but i wish i had known about the surfing, i would have loved to have walked past that day and seen your Dave out in the waves, bless him. I didn't know about the shark sightings, is that for real, or am i being taken in again :o.
Enjoy your kayaking tomorrow.
By the way, i think you may have forgotten to mention one of your 2008 highlights will of course be taking me for sushi, i shall look forward to it. :wub: ;)

No, the shark sightings were for real, right behind our friends 10 year old!:eek:

The kayaking was so much fun. We went to Waimarino water park in Bethlehem and we kayaked (including Mother?!:eek:), went on a pedalo, dived off high boards into the river, you can kayak or use a mat to go down this long slide, we did rock wall climbing, had a BBQ, water slide, low ropes course for the little ones and then did a 2 hour sunset river cruise ... so much fun! I have photos ... :ohmy:

custard creams Jan 7th 2008 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 5751936)
No, the shark sightings were for real, right behind our friends 10 year old!:eek:

The kayaking was so much fun. We went to Waimarino water park in Bethlehem and we kayaked (including Mother?!:eek:), went on a pedalo, dived off high boards into the river, you can kayak or use a mat to go down this long slide, we did rock wall climbing, had a BBQ, water slide, low ropes course for the little ones and then did a 2 hour sunset river cruise ... so much fun! I have photos ... :ohmy:

Hi,
Waimarino water park sounds great! Any pictures to show?

thanks

helinuk Jan 10th 2008 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Richard S (Post 5754245)
Hi,
Waimarino water park sounds great! Any pictures to show?

thanks

It does look good fun! (we live just down the road from it...pass it every day on way into work/shops) We're keeping that outing for when our son comes to visit in Feb.

Good post Caroline:)