Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

6 out of 10 babies born to immigrants in London

6 out of 10 babies born to immigrants in London

Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:26 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: 6 out of 10 babies born to immigrants in London

So, is it really that easy?

If I was to relocate to the UK could I get a house, car and a fortnightly benefit? What steps would I need to take?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Stef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud of
Post Re: 6 out of 10 babies born to immigrants in London

I think this is a very delicate subject and the amount of times people have flown off the handle with me when I have tried to talk about it is incredible but I think we are all entitled to our views so here is mine...

There are too many immigrants in the UK and that is fact, even the politicians are saying this. I have nothing against anyone of any colour or race and I do think like in NZ or OZ immigrants can bring much wanted skills to a country and I have nothing against this...how can I, I am sat here in Timaru!!! It is the control that the UK needs, like NZ and Oz. The Uk pretty much lets anyone in, me and my husband couldn't just walk into NZ. It took months of paperwork as you all will know. We also can't claim (and wouldn't want to) benfits in NZ for at least 2 years, where is that rule in the UK?

I could go on but I won't as it is just my view...I do appreciate what you are saying though in this thread. Statistics aren't always accurate but we all know what the UK is like now.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by happynz
So, is it really that easy?

If I was to relocate to the UK could I get a house, car and a fortnightly benefit? What steps would I need to take?
I'm not sure if thats true...is it? Where I lived (Portsmouth) just before I left 5 years ago there was talk of a centre being built for migrants (or do I mean immigrants?)but I dont know if it went ahead. I used to pass one in Munich and it looked awful.
If you come here (NZ) as a refugee you get all the above and rightly so.

Last edited by Jude J; Jan 31st 2008 at 8:27 pm. Reason: got the word wrong
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stef_Paul
I think this is a very delicate subject and the amount of times people have flown off the handle with me when I have tried to talk about it is incredible but I think we are all entitled to our views so here is mine...

There are too many immigrants in the UK and that is fact, even the politicians are saying this. I have nothing against anyone of any colour or race and I do think like in NZ or OZ immigrants can bring much wanted skills to a country and I have nothing against this...how can I, I am sat here in Timaru!!! It is the control that the UK needs, like NZ and Oz. The Uk pretty much lets anyone in, me and my husband couldn't just walk into NZ. It took months of paperwork as you all will know. We also can't claim (and wouldn't want to) benfits in NZ for at least 2 years, where is that rule in the UK?

I could go on but I won't as it is just my view...I do appreciate what you are saying though in this thread. Statistics aren't always accurate but we all know what the UK is like now.
you are right everyone is entitled to there own opinion...

but as i've said there is still a lot of migrants coming into NZ...
the NZgoverment have comitted to increasing there numbers by 1% each year,which is about 45,000 migrants each year,that is still quite a lot considering the population of NZ.....

at the moment 23% of the population here was born overseas,one of the highest rates anywhere in the world...

at the moment immigrants from UK and Ireland constitute the largest single group, accounting for 29% of those born overseas....imho i think its a case of pot ,kettle and black here......same problem,its just geography....jacky
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:48 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

Originally Posted by garryhg
you are right everyone is entitled to there own opinion...

but as i've said there is still a lot of migrants coming into NZ...
the NZgoverment have comitted to increasing there numbers by 1% each year,which is about 45,000 migrants each year,that is still quite a lot considering the population of NZ.....

at the moment 23% of the population here was born overseas,one of the highest rates anywhere in the world...

at the moment immigrants from UK and Ireland constitute the largest single group, accounting for 29% of those born overseas....imho i think its a case of pot ,kettle and black here......same problem,its just geography....jacky
For my limited view I think the problem with the levels of nursing staff, along side the growing population mainly through immirgation is that if they pay agency nurses to fill the vacancy they don;t need ot pay them sick pay or provide a pension. I think the government realise this. Just my view and I don't have anything to back it up with either!!!

Also there are many Police chiefs now saying they cannot cope with the numbers of immigrant criminals and that the Kent police would need 550 more police officers in 5 years time (I think that was the time scale).

So yes more and more people are speaking out about high levels of immigration.

Jo
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stef_Paul

I always find it funny when people knock immigrants in the UK and use it as a reason to become an immigrant themselves. I do think alot of the scares about immigrants in the UK is fueled by the news papers, however in the UK there is more self chosen ghettoism, like the Oldham Asian community who want to build there own neighbourhood or the streets that are purchased by a race who then let to their own people. Really dont like that sort of thing, in New Zealand I did find it refreshing to find the corner shop owner spoke in a kiwi accent eventhough he was of asian descent. Might have been 2nd or 3rd generation. Found it frustrating in London being shouted at at the local newsagent cos i didnt understand what he was saying.

I now live in Melbourne, the varieties of people here is amazing, we have the Spanish, Italian, Greeks, Chinese and Indian areas. There are many who dont speak English because in their environment they dont need to. The Newspapers do seem more friendly towards immigrants here in Oz than they are in the UK.

I do agree that control is needed so the right people are let in, i had to jump through hoops in New Zealand and Oz and i work as a Nurse. It does seem that it is easier for certain minorities to get into the UK to live and work. Although a aussie nurse I work with here is moving to the UK on a work visa and she loads she needs to do to get in, including an English test. They dont do that to poms coming over to work in New Zealand or OZ.

As for getting a lower wage on the side of the world i have found the opposite, I was a middle level E grade back in the UK and left just as the new pay band came into effect. I was getting exaclty the same in New Zealand as I was in the UK and am now on 400 pounds a month more now i work in Oz, in the UK i lived in nursing accomodation. That cost 264 pounds per month, in New Zealand I lived in a 2 bedroom house with garden and a garage across the road from work for only a little more than that. In oz i have a trendy city apartment 2 bed wood floors, 2 large verandas and a garage. There is no way i could have afforded that back in the UK. In Melbourne we also have nurse to patient ratios, which means that there is only 4 patients for each nurse, and the ratios are protected by law. No one else has this, i dont remember a time in the UK when i worked with a full compliment of nurses. I worked on a ward that was designed for 5 nurses and 4 care assistants. It was an American design with lots of siderooms and small bays off shooting the winding corriodors, it had 4 nurses stations. At night i looked after 31 patients as the only qualified nurse, had 2 care assistants with me. During the day that number increased to a wopping 2 nurses and 4 care assistants. So in OZ im not only paid more but i do less, yay for Aussie nursing!!

Last edited by Sugo; Feb 2nd 2008 at 3:59 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:36 am
Just Joined

vingar will become famous soon enoughvingar will become famous soon enough

This kind of thread makes me chuckle.'I don't like immigrants so im gonna become one'

I find the irony delicious.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vingar
This kind of thread makes me chuckle.'I don't like immigrants so im gonna become one'

I find the irony delicious.
with you on that!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lexylou
with you on that!
Double ditto.