Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

6 out of 10 babies born to immigrants in London

6 out of 10 babies born to immigrants in London

Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Post 6 out of 10 babies born to immigrants in London

I heard this on the news yesterday and I couldnt believe that 60% of births in London are born to immigrants yet midwives struggle to get jobs in the UK!!!

They stated maternity services were unable to cope so to solve this they were closing smaller units so the midwives could work in the bigger hospitals!! How does any of this make sense?

There are thousands of newly qualified nurses, midwives, physiotherapists and many more proffessions struggling to find work. The government must realise that with increased immigration in to the country the NHS will need extra staff and services but there answer is to lay people off, i just dont get it.

SO all these highly skilled proffessionals are making a new life abroad including myself to support another countries health service, i cant imagine what it will be like in another 10 years and im hoping i wont be here to see it.

Sorry rant over!!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 6 out of 10 babies born to immigrants in London

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun
I heard this on the news yesterday and I couldnt believe that 60% of births in London are born to immigrants yet midwives struggle to get jobs in the UK!!!

They stated maternity services were unable to cope so to solve this they were closing smaller units so the midwives could work in the bigger hospitals!! How does any of this make sense?

There are thousands of newly qualified nurses, midwives, physiotherapists and many more proffessions struggling to find work. The government must realise that with increased immigration in to the country the NHS will need extra staff and services but there answer is to lay people off, i just dont get it.

SO all these highly skilled proffessionals are making a new life abroad including myself to support another countries health service, i cant imagine what it will be like in another 10 years and im hoping i wont be here to see it.

Sorry rant over!!
wonder if the kiwis are saying this about us.....

not having a dig at your postit just makes you think...jacky
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

It also makes you wonder why when qualified nurses in the uk make the move to a less paid job in NZ eh.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:25 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garryhg
wonder if the kiwis are saying this about us
They are thinking it, not saying it.....yet!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Avid
They are thinking it, not saying it.....yet!
they are saying it about the Asianslike you say only thinking it about the whinging poms,won't be long......jacky
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wessa
It also makes you wonder why when qualified nurses in the uk make the move to a less paid job in NZ eh.
A lower paid job is better than no job at all!! In the trust i used to work in there were over 300 job applicants per advertised job for newly qualified nurses yet the wards are crying out for staff.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

dave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wessa
I think only from my own experience because we (nurses) feel totally under valued! Our local hospital has merged trusts and have people who are really experienced reapplying for their jobs, nurses left working with very few qualified nurses to number of patients, they are also millions in debt so no more training!!! the service is in a terrible state, ridiculous amounts of paper work and I can't remember the last time I felt appreciated by my managers or that we have ever been thanked for the god knows how many extra shifts we work to cover sickness and unfilled posts!! Which we only do because we know we are letting our patients and colleges down!!! I come home stressed to the hilt and sad as I did really loved my job. Work in community now better but heading the same way. Many of my friends feel the same. Rant over!!!! (in with anger, out with love!!!)

So heres to the grass being greener and if not I will get a job doing something else. But recently I know of five ICU nurses that have gone to OZ, two Biomedical scientist in OZ, Three surgical nurses OZ, Medical Sec about to go to OZ, Three midwifes either gone or about to go to NZ and me NZ. These are just people that I know as well, I would hate to do a poll over the last three years of the whole trust. Speaks volumes though!!!!!

Last edited by dave.and.lisa; Jan 31st 2008 at 1:29 pm. Reason: can't spell so prob more to find!!!!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: 6 out of 10 babies born to immigrants in London

wonder if the kiwis are saying this about us.....

not having a dig at your postit just makes you think...jacky
They probally are, I just never expected the number to be so high my problem is with the lack of fore sight by the goverment not immigrants as i will be one myself very soon and i cant wait!!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I was born in Oz, have lived in the UK for 10+ years. I am a Brit.

I would be classified as an immigrant for these stats.

Also, many EU immigrants have larger families, so are use the maternity service more often (2,3,4 kids compared to 1,2)
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I was born in Oz, have lived in the UK for 10+ years. I am a Brit.

I would be classified as an immigrant for these stats.

Also, many EU immigrants have larger families, so are use the maternity service more often (2,3,4 kids compared to 1,2)
so would my husband (Kiwi) and his sister (Kiwi) who are both living in the UK and have had children born here. I hate statistics and news papers trying to gear people up to hate/blame 'immigrants'
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

dave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud of

I agree the media do cause a hate and intolerance of other people I really don't care if you are black, blue or pink with sky dots!!! we are a moving population now! due to education, advanced communication and cheap travel, or you are truley that desperate to find a better life you will risk it to find one! We will find the edges blurring of what is to be British, or any other democratic country as new people move and change things.

I think the real problem in relation to immigrants is that the goverment are totally in denial about the true figures of people here putting a massive strain on all services. I live in an area were a huge amount of polish people are arriving the figures they quote for this is tiny and unrealistic to the asian community too, from the number of people I meet every day. My freind who is a midwife meets lots of these women and the service is stuggling to cope with the number of births which has increased very recently, yet they are shutting the local unit as births have gone down!!! like I said denial!! My only complaint is that our immigration policy should more rigerous, Hell if anyone went through the selection process like OZ, NZ and USA have then welcome!!!!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

imho,if people are coming to NZ to get away from UK because of the imigrants,then they are coming for the wrong reasons.....

they have the same problems here with imigrants(us being one of them)i'm sure someone quoted that there are over 140 different nationalities in Nz.....jacky
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

imho,if people are coming to NZ to get away from UK because of the imigrants,then they are coming for the wrong reasons.....

they have the same problems here with imigrants(us being one of them)i'm sure someone quoted that there are over 140 different nationalities in Nz.....jacky
But at least the population of NZ is no where near 60 million and rising!!

Part of the reason im leaving is the uncontrolled immigration in to the country and the fact nothing is being done to improve the prison service, or to build more schools and hospitals.

Im sure NZ has its own problems to do with immigration similar to the UK, the UK also needs skilled immigrants but it needs to support the medical, education services that provide for the ever growing population.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:08 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

imho,if people are coming to NZ to get away from UK because of the immigrants,then they are coming for the wrong reasons...
I'd agree with those sentiments.

...they have the same problems here with immigrants(us being one of them).
Hmmm...what sort of problems are you and your lot causing?
i'm sure someone quoted that there are over 140 different nationalities in Nz.....jacky
I think it's great having so many different nationalities. It certainly provides for greater dining choices.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun
But at least the population of NZ is no where near 60 million and rising!!

Part of the reason im leaving is the uncontrolled immigration in to the country and the fact nothing is being done to improve the prison service, or to build more schools and hospitals.

Im sure NZ has its own problems to do with immigration similar to the UK, the UK also needs skilled immigrants but it needs to support the medical, education services that provide for the ever growing population.
totaly agree that there are to many immigrants in UK....
i blame the goverment,as someone said if you were offered to come to NZ ,given a house,furniture,money for nothing every fortnight,hell wouldn't you come.....

the infastructure isn't there in the UK to support the amount of immigrants that are coming over....drain on health service,overcrowding in schools.....overcrowding on the roads......

the goverment need to close the flood gates into UK and take stock of whats going on,and start looking at the reasons why so many brits are leaving,then start to address some of these issues.....but hey! thats obviously in an ideal world......jacky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.