Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

6.3 quake reported in Christchurch?

6.3 quake reported in Christchurch?

Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:45 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6.3 quake reported in Christchurch?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Came to us (Queensland emergency services) from a reputable source, so yes, as far as we know its real.
It was also on one of the main NZ news websites yesterday, nzherald or Stuff, can't remember which.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:07 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Civil Defence Quake Update 77
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:18 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been working for Civil defence and i have had so many secret tears is so upsetting.

But last night i could have spit blood and some of the people that live in my ST, as they had full watering systems on for the Gardens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and we have people that would love a wash or even a shower or just do some washing.

So I would like to add if you know of people that would love a shower or a bath even for kids and baby I would love to help. EVEN WITH A NICE CUP OF TEA.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:29 am
`

Originally Posted by harrogate girl

But last night i could have spit blood and some of the people that live in my ST, as they had full watering systems on for the Gardens!.
It's odd how some people behave.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrogate girl
I have been working for Civil defence and i have had so many secret tears is so upsetting.

But last night i could have spit blood and some of the people that live in my ST, as they had full watering systems on for the Gardens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and we have people that would love a wash or even a shower or just do some washing.

So I would like to add if you know of people that would love a shower or a bath even for kids and baby I would love to help. EVEN WITH A NICE CUP OF TEA.
There's nowt as queer as folk
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:52 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 6.3 quake reported in Christchurch?

But it’s not the quantity but the quality and delivery systems for water that are a problem, right?
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future

The events around this quake have brought many new reaisations about the sustainable future of NZ and the use of hydraulic engineering and innovative utilities. I have been asked toput this to the front of my agenda on my arrival in NZ, we move from the Uk lock stock and barrell in 5-6 weeks. We have to look forward now and build a positive future for all of the people effected by this tragic event.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 12:57 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Well we had a bit of a shaky weekend but it seems to have calmed down today. Spent all weekend jumping whenever a truck or car started up. had Mr S in hysterics when one started up very close to the house and I leapt to my feet expecting a really big aftershock

Still trying to come to terms with it though feeling less fearful generally, the first few days were awful as I was trying to contend with the disbelief, the lack of sleep, the horror of what was happening just down the road, the worry for Mr S but also that concern that there may be another one. Yes we have been lucky in that my area has been pretty much spared during both earthquakes but who knows what will happen next week, month, year. The randomness of it, you can be having a perfectly normal day which turns into a nightmare within seconds, no warning or inkling that it's going to happen. I was chatting to a rep and the staff in reception and next second I was gripping onto the desk to stop myself falling over
Everyone seems to be affected more mentally by this one [apart from the obvious and the day to day problems in the Eastern suburbs], more due to the fact that we thought Chch was on the mend, the aftershocks had reduced down in frequency and magnitude quite a lot and life seemed to be reverting to normal. This is like taking three steps forward and six back.
I feel so sorry for those trying to retain some semblance of normal life when their homes, businesses, loved ones have been lost and those just trying to get through the day without running water or sewage. I count myself as very very lucky!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Aint that the truth, I wonder if I will ever feel optimistic about my future here again and not wonder whether I will be caught in the next disaster! Some days are good others very bad, take the weekend, was down in Timaru in a department store, worried about going down the concrete steps to get into Farmers from the car park, heard rumbling inside and almost dived under the counter - realised it was the hum drum of the escalator and not the boom of an earthquake coming!!!! My sister looked at me like I was mental!! It will take a long time before I can go somewhere and feel safe or will I ever feel safe again in this country, I don't know is the answer at the moment. I will feel some sort of normality returning soon.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 10:00 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Changes in ground level after earthquake:
Old Mar 11th 2011, 6:55 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems that the earth is moving a lot during these first months of the year. Two weeks ago in NZ and now in Japan. We were talking earlier about how animals sense future disasters. The whales stranded on the beach just before the Christchurch quake, animals behaving strangely just before the 2004 tsunami. I wonder if the million dead fish found in the sea off the US coast a couple of days ago has anything to do with this latest tragedy.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 12:25 am
`

As Kiwigirlinalain has shared her extremely sad news with us all , I am transferring the posts to her thread about her sister & reopening it.

The thread is HERE

and as WP has also shared her sad news, I have re-opened her thread also. Thread is HERE

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 12th 2011 at 12:43 am. Reason: adjust post.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:48 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Talking Re: 6.3 quake reported in Christchurch?

“Student administrator: Your course is starting again.
Me: When?
Student administrator: 23rd of March.
Me: But my house is still in the red zone!

So will I be homeless do you think or do they take into account things like this? Interesting turn my life has taken.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:56 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
“Student administrator: Your course is starting again.
Me: When?
Student administrator: 23rd of March.
Me: But my house is still in the red zone!

So will I be homeless do you think or do they take into account things like this? Interesting turn my life has taken.
If your house is in the central red zone then it is going to be inaccessible for a long time. Do you share with other people, if so where have they gone?
Maybe speak to the student administrator about what options you have.

Hmmm may be better to bring a tent just in case
Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:12 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Smile Re: 6.3 quake reported in Christchurch?

Originally Posted by Persephone
Hmmm may be better to bring a tent just in case
I'll bring a cardboard sign, marker pen and tin cup .

I signed up at the university to live on campus.