British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   5th November (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/5th-november-638267/)

dave77 Oct 30th 2009 1:36 pm

5th November

Seems like an odd question I know, but wifey and I were chatting the other day and not sure how we got on the subject but were wondering if kiwi folk celebrate bonfire night at all?!.... we both came to the conclusion that probably not due it being an English thing (surely!!?)

mickey_d Oct 30th 2009 11:19 pm

Re: 5th November

Yes they do celebrate it, probably because a large percentage of the population are British or have British links.

dave77 Oct 31st 2009 9:00 am

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 8058746)
Yes they do celebrate it, probably because a large percentage of the population are British or have British links.

That makes sense! Thanks mickey! :)

BEVS Oct 31st 2009 9:54 pm

We do have bonfire and firework nights here but I'm not sure if they are in quite the same spirit as Guy Fawkes night.

Some years we have one at our local holiday park. It's set right on the beach and there is a bonfire, a Guy Fawkes competition and fireworks. This is an event to fund the local Scouts with a gold coin donation.

cappuccino Nov 1st 2009 3:47 am

Wellington has a huge annual display on the waterfront

http://www.wotzon.com/eventlisting.h...ent_id=5009537

nero Nov 1st 2009 4:12 am

Does anybody know of any firework displays in the Auckland area?

pricklykina Nov 2nd 2009 8:52 am

ALexandra park was last weekend but the one at Waitakere on Saturday at the trusts stadium is popular. Kumeu is doing one on Friday night...don't know of any others cos I'm a westie LoL

minky Nov 2nd 2009 6:28 pm

Clevedon is on Fri 6th

alanmacc Nov 2nd 2009 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by dave77 (Post 8057345)
Seems like an odd question I know, but wifey and I were chatting the other day and not sure how we got on the subject but were wondering if kiwi folk celebrate bonfire night at all?!.... we both came to the conclusion that probably not due it being an English thing (surely!!?)

Yes Bonfire night is done here in NZ, but I have to say it is not just asn English thing, it is a British thing ...........

Madmaxdeux Nov 2nd 2009 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by dave77 (Post 8057345)

We get to celebrate it first :sneaky: (think about that one;))

Yep there is nothing like the sounds of exploding fireworks and coming into summer the wail of sirens, flashing red lights and the glow of another part of the scrub ignited by some inconsiderate dick, who probably has no idea of what the original significant was about Guy Fawkes night. Which you may or may not have noted has been increasingly refered to as Bonfire night in NZ by the marketing gurus.

Funny though where I live November the 5th is not really a problem or one you hear many fireworks released if any, one of the joys of living in the wops :)

Wooly_Cow Nov 2nd 2009 10:43 pm

In New Zealand bonfires are less common due to fire risks, but fireworks events do take place

Last year WCC spent far more on fireworks display on Guy Fawkes than at New Years. It was a great display BUT....this year is supposed to be BIGGER and BETTER.

Don't forget New Zealand still has a Queen who is a descendant of James 1st, who was the target for the unsuccessful assassination attempt by Robert Catesby, and his conspirators including Guido Fawkes.

(The event was effectively scrapped in Australia in the mid 70’s when the general sale of fireworks was stopped. This coincided with a more general republican sentiment)

Wooly_Cow Nov 2nd 2009 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by alanmacc (Post 8065152)
Yes Bonfire night is done here in NZ, but I have to say it is not just asn English thing, it is a British thing ...........

True - James the 1st of England and James VI of Scotland!