Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

5 Years in NZ and I'm headed to Auckland - pls help me

5 Years in NZ and I'm headed to Auckland - pls help me

Old Jan 5th 2017, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

frog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to all
Default 5 Years in NZ and I'm headed to Auckland - pls help me

So I've been in NZ for 5 years now - starting in Wellington for 3 years, then Kakanui in rural South Island for the last 2 years. Now it's on to Auckland...

Now I've only been to Auckland twice and that was as a tourist. Quite daunted by the prospect of moving there. Relocating with my husband and 2 young children (5 and 7 years) - interested to know where to and not to live.

Husband will be working in Mt Wellington but commutes on a motorbike so we don't have to be too local. I need the kids to go to a good, mainly European school (decile 5+ ideally).

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Old Jan 6th 2017, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 Years in NZ and I'm headed to Auckland - pls help me

Originally Posted by frog99
I need the kids to go to a good, mainly European school (decile 5+ ideally).
Good luck with that
Old Jan 6th 2017, 6:09 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

lots of moving around for you guys. Sorry don't know much about Auckland or the area you are needing to be but for schools you could check out http://www.ero.govt.nz/review-reports/ for schools in the area
Old Jan 6th 2017, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

If I had kids that age, I would be looking for a school with a good range of cultures and ethnicities. However, to answer your question, I think there is plenty of info on the net which details the ethnic makeup of the various areas and suburbs.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:58 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a demographic breakdown of Auckland:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Auckland

Pick an area that you like and then look at schools in the area from the ero link already given above. Also, Google 'independent schools auckland' to find private schools.

I'd probably try and avoid a commute over the bridge, so take out the North Shore. Remember, Auckland is one of the most culturally diverse places in the country.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 12:05 am
Just Joined

frog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to all

I didn't mean to sound racist if that what you all think - I just meant that I want the majority of children in the school to speak English and not Mandarin or another language. I want my children to be able to easily integrate and make friends.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the Asian kids I hear speak better English than I do. Lol. The majority of 5 to 7 yr olds were either born here or learnt to speak here, and have English as their first language. Your kids shouldnt have a problem.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reassurance - my son has had problems making friends in his current, rural school. I want the next school to offer more choice for him.

So...where to live? Looking at Beachlands or Maraetai or Remuera at the moment...possibly Howick, Bucklands Beach or Cockle Bay - anyone have any insights into these areas or similar ones that I might not have come across??
Old Jan 7th 2017, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

So...where to live? Looking at Beachlands or Maraetai or Remuera at the moment...possibly Howick, Bucklands Beach or Cockle Bay - anyone have any insights into these areas or similar ones that I might not have come across??
It will depend entirely on your budget but if you're looking at at Remuera I guess budget is not an issue for you, as it is probably the most expensive suburb in the whole of Auckland. The Eastern areas past Pakuranga; Half Moon Bay, Bucklands Beach, Botany are all quite nice. If you're after more European vibe then you would need to give a Howick (AKA 'Chowick') a wide berth.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

budget is about $500-$550 - a few properties in Remuera within budget but none that will accept a dog...yet another hurdle for us to overcome.

Also, most letting agents require us to actually view the property before we can apply - they're not allowed to let sight-unseen. Anyone know any relocation agencies who view properties on behalf of tenants? there was an agency in Wellington but haven't found one in Auckland as yet.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 3:04 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

That's quite a tight a budget for a good area. Also, be aware that school 'donations' in decile 10 schools can be quite high. One previous visitor to this forum lived in Saint Heliers - loved the area but couldn't afford the school donations.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Also, most letting agents require us to actually view the property before we can apply - they're not allowed to let sight-unseen. Anyone know any relocation agencies who view properties on behalf of tenants? there was an agency in Wellington but haven't found one in Auckland as yet.
I think you would be utterly mad to consider renting a place without looking at it yourself - the last thing you want is a damp, cold and mouldy old hovel - the agents pictures can hide a multitude of sins.

You'll also find the there's some brisk competition out there and you really need to be here and able to cover ground quickly and get into places as soon as they are listed. You'd be best renting a serviced apartment for a couple of weeks or doing a recce and coming up ahead of time and staying in a motel for a few days with the sole intention of finding somewhere to live. Granted it'll cost you some dollars up front but a small price to pay in the grand scheme for your peace of mind.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I think you would be utterly mad to consider renting a place without looking at it yourself - the last thing you want is a damp, cold and mouldy old hovel - the agents pictures can hide a multitude of sins.

You'll also find the there's some brisk competition out there and you really need to be here and able to cover ground quickly and get into places as soon as they are listed. You'd be best renting a serviced apartment for a couple of weeks or doing a recce and coming up ahead of time and staying in a motel for a few days with the sole intention of finding somewhere to live. Granted it'll cost you some dollars up front but a small price to pay in the grand scheme for your peace of mind.
Yeah top advice, I certainly wouldn't rent unseen. The quality can be pretty awful, I rented 3 places before I bought. The first looked great and I rented the tail of summer, but it was freezing in winter with only an open fire, and less insulation than a cricket pavilion back home.
Howick, Cockle Bay, Bucklands Beach nice areas and some good schools, but competition can be stiff re: rentals.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

Ive rented sight unseen twice and both worked out great actually. Wouldn't recommend it for the same reasons as everyone has said but no horror stories here.

We lived in Maraetai until recently and loved it. Fantastic community. Commute wouldn't be too horrendous on a motorbike to Mt Welly I guess.

$500pw will be a struggle to be honest I would try and push it to $600+ if you can.

Happy to answer any questions you have about that area

Good luck
Old Jan 15th 2017, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

movingtonewzealand is an unknown quantity at this point

Air Bnb can be pretty reasonable if you wanted to stay somewhere while you find somewhere to rent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.