Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

5 reasons why a move to NZ could improve your life.

5 reasons why a move to NZ could improve your life.

Old Dec 9th 2013, 9:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default 5 reasons why a move to NZ could improve your life.

On the back of Catcha's 'ruin' thread .

G'won then you lot. You know you want to.

"5 reasons why a move to NZ could improve your life"

Will await the deluge.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 9:33 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 reasons why a move to NZ could improve your life.

This is a very personal list but....

1 It has open new opportunities that has taken my life in very unexpected but positive directions.

2 Work/Life balance - I would make a really bad employee now! I work 20-30 hours a week (but it can be spread across 7 days).

3 Raising kids - we started our family here and can not imagine a better environment to do so.

4 Natural beauty - Even after all this time, I am still awed by how beautiful it is here.

5 Learning skills that would make me look like Bear Grylls/McGuyver to friends in the UK
Old Dec 9th 2013, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

I am a very simple soul at heart so here's a few suggestions:
1. The roads are not choked and so preventing car usage on a daily basis.
2. Parking at a beauty spot is not costing an arm and a leg and then a further charge if you miss the bay or over-stay your welcome.
3. There is room on the beach (if I ever dare go now that I read about spiders, sharks, quick sand, the ozone layer etc.
4. Everyone is friendly and happy to stop for a chat.
5. No celebrities on the TV, mags and on every shop poster or paper.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

1. NZ people

2. Some stunning places to 'escape' to during time off - and not just in NZ itself - the South Pacific is quite easy to get to

3. Bad stuff - e.g. crime, seems to happen less

4. Being at the end of the earth has its price (literally in the case of airfares) but sometimes it is a nice thing – when the rest of the world appears determined to send itself to hell in a handcart, to be away from it all

5. Children living a (more) care-free childhood...I have yet to hear of any schools in NZ introducing stab-proof school uniforms.

I could give 50 examples, but these 5 spring instantly to mind.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:36 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

I posted on the 'other' thread and so it's only fair to give this one a go too.

1. Learning how to food shop more wisely and not to waste food.
2. Just looking up at the stars in the middle of the night.
3. Home schooling little one, lots of quality time.
4. Plodging in the sea, even in winter.
5. Starting to tell family and friends how much you love them, priceless.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

1. Good work opportunities
2. Good public transport
3. Christmas in Summer - two weeks off for only five days A/L!
4. Different cuisine
5. Walks down to the beach after work.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 7:54 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

1. Stress free commutes and road trips due to lack of traffic.
2. The ability to be able to afford a home that is one hour to the mountains, 5 minutes to the beach and an easy commute to work.
3. Whittakers peanut butter chocolate.
4. Lack of tabloid newspapers and all the propaganda rubbish they contain (and not having images of ladies with their knockers out thrust in your face).
5. Summer is actually summer

Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
On the back of Catcha's 'ruin' thread .

G'won then you lot. You know you want to.

"5 reasons why a move to NZ could improve your life"

Will await the deluge.
The women (sheep) are easy
Old Dec 10th 2013, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

less ppl less crowds hence less irritable/annoyed (myself.)
Old Dec 10th 2013, 5:49 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

1. Some places in NZ have lower housing costs than in the UK - often for bigger homes with decent gardens.

2. The summers are long. Not year round heat, nor even predictably blue skies for months, but a decent long summer that allows you to grow watermelons outside, and basil, cucumbers, aubergines, etc.

3. The facilities here tend to be clean, well maintained and shared between less people - this applies to sporting facilities, play parks, libraries, town parking, botanical gardens, etc.

4. If you're in the right line of work, living ine right place with the right mental attitude, NZ is still a land of opportunity career-wise.

5. There are less people so unless shopping and material goods really float your boat, then life here is so much EASIER!
Old Dec 10th 2013, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

1. The laid back approach to life

2. No risk of getting sued if you say a joke

3. No risk of getting sacked or disciplined by management if you compliment a females dress at work

4. Religion isn't forced on you

5. Thousands of golf courses
Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:04 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

1) Excellent weather and defined seasons meaning the washing can dry outside all through the year.
2) Dry atmosphere resulting in little or no problems with arthritic pains.
3) None of the "No win No fee" rubbish being rammed down your throat day in day out.
4) Driving on empty roads is a pleasure, and the car parking even better.
5) Just feeling safe where ever I go and learning to be civil to others as they are not on the want when speaking just being friendly.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

1) Playing outdoor tennis all year round, (wind allowing). Perfection.

2) The space, the wonderful, wonderful space, like beaches and river walks.

3) Finding yourself again.

4) Friendly, pleasant people in the shops, lack of queues and learning to bake properly because I can't just pop into Tesco or M and S and buy it ready made.

5) Our home here compared to what we could have bought in the UK, no comparison.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:31 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
3. No risk of getting sacked or disciplined by management if you compliment a females dress at work.
No risk of any management at all in many New Zealand companies .

I like the wine o'clock attitude of employers here, something widely frowned upon in the UK since the 70's.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my personal experience. When I first decided to move to NZ, I had a meeting with an immigration advisor who told me "No chance, you don't have enough points. NZ is not an option for you!"
Well, this made me even more determined so I came over for a holiday and got a job offer which then enabled me to get a work permit. 6 years later, I am a full NZ citizen. Despite personal setbacks over the years, here are my top 5 positives (in no particular order):

1. Better housing - OK not of the same build quality as the UK but bigger, prettier and with awesome views.

2. Different job opportunities - I'm doing something very different to what I did in the UK and my first job here.

3. Cheaper studies - I've achieved several new qualifications since I've been here (some self funded too)

4. Re-prioritisation of what's important in life - that includes no longer being a leisure shopper; I've a new mantra "do I want it, or do I need it?"

5. Easier to make friends and try new hobbies - I'm very active with www.meetup.com groups and Toastmasters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.