4x4 Import

Old Apr 28th 2015, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Tyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4x4 Import

Has anyone gone through this process and how strict are NZ transport when it comes to Chassis rust. I have a 2003 Hilux I want to take to NZ but not sure of the risk.
Any help would be much appreciated
Old Apr 28th 2015, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4x4 Import

They are very strict.
I'm not even sure a reputable international shipper would even try to ship it if there is obvious rust. They'd most likely tell you what you'd need to fix before it was possible as it looks bad on them if a rust bucket turns up at the port in NZ. It'll more likely sustain further deterioration on the trip unless you shipped it in it's own container which is more expensive. If you did the RORO way (roll on roll off) they just get parked on the deck in the open air and spend 6 weeks or whatever being battered by sea spray.
The result will be that NZTA would state it doesn't comply with NZ regulations and give you a list of work needed for it to comply. It may also get inspected by MPI (used to be Maf) and you may have to pay for it to be cleaned even though you may have already done this in the UK.
You would then have all the costs to cart it away (you wouldn't be able to drive it), get it fixed up, professionally cleaned and take it back for another compliance check and another MPI check. If you then passed compliance and MPI you would then need to have it warranted (like an MOT) and registered for the road with plates and vehicle license. You'd also have to buy road user charges if its a diesel.
So not worth the hassle and the risk. It'll be a money pit.
I've heard loads of horror stories of people who have imported cars here only to be told they need thousands of dollars spending on them to pass NZTA compliance but money the owner just doesn't have so they remain sat in a garage or storage somewhere collecting dust and rust.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Tyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that response, it is now apparent given the mass of opinion against importing that we will take the hit here in the UK and arrive truck less.
Thanks again for your post.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tyron
Thanks for that response, it is now apparent given the mass of opinion against importing that we will take the hit here in the UK and arrive truck less.
Thanks again for your post.
Yes we decided on the same and our cars were rust free at the time. One being a few years old and the other new that year. The reason why we didn't bring the new one was we would have been charged GST on it's value (15%) as we hadn't owned it for a minimum 12 months.
The older one was a top of the range Seat Toledo 2.0 TDI DSG a few years old but they don't have them here at all so didn't think it was worth it being that I'd be charged an arm and a leg for servicing and if anything went wrong I'd have to sort out parts myself from Europe.

Vehicles are more expensive here but it's all swings and roundabouts. It's much cheaper to run a car so you can spend that bit more.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light

Wise decision, a 12 year old Japanese car, nah, really not worth the expense.
Only ones which are worth doing or break even are newish German Audi/Beamers etc.
Then need to be auto box as no one drives manuals.