Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

40% Ponder a move to Aussie

View Poll Results: Are you one of the 40%?
No way (not ever)
35.56%
Possibly (considering it)
51.11%
Yes (get me outta here asap)
11.11%
Already making moves to go
2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

40% Ponder a move to Aussie

Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 40% Ponder a move to Aussie

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I may not mention that bit to him!

You know what kids are like - once they get an idea in their head that's it?
I agree Am. That is one incident in 7 years of living there and many holidays spent there.

Aus is a great country but it is different to NZ. I yearn for green grass whenever I am there but NZ is my home.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Are you sure your post gives an objective overview of what was reported Bo ?

Yes there are a lot of Kiwi's moving to Aus, but you know what that has always been the case. What's so wrong with it, most of you in here have left your homeland haven't you ? Some of you will stay, some will go home and some will go elsewhere.

I think the Herald articles are pretty honest and objective, especially the comparisons on food and actual real estate costs. Though bananas were still up around $5 a kilo when I was in Sydney last week. Still that's far better than the $13.99 they were 18 months ago when we were in Brissie.

Anyone who ticks their departure card as going to be away for twelve months or more falls into those 800 a day figures.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/transtasma...m?c_id=1501052
Yes, objective in that I am not one who would ever consider a move to Oz.

Yes, objective in that I do not work for the Herald and therefore not me that is responsible for reporting these figures in the newspaper day after day.

If it is no big deal, why is it being commented upon and reported in the media day after day. Another report on Friday stated that the number who have left is at a nineteen year high. So how come we have such denial of a huge problem, by saying it is nothing new and has always happened in the past? I can beg to differ based upon the facts presented on numbers leaving. The numbers of new arrivals are also reported to be significantly down on previous years.

Anyone who has even the most basic of sales skills, will know it takes ten times more effort and resource to find new customers, than to keep the customers they already have at the palm of their hand. But NZ Inc. seems more than happy to constantly find new migrants to plug he gaps in a very leaky bucket, than address some of the problems and encourage people to stay. How high does the number have to reach before it is seen to be a real problem?

Afterall, we migrants are ten a penny and bring dollars to the NZ coffers directly and indirectly, so no worries if thousands leave, the attitude seems to be that it doesn't matter, there are plenty more replacements where we came from.

I also read recently that the campaign to entice Kiwi expats to come back home, had been abandoned because it was not working and had proved unsuccessful.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Yes, objective in that I am not one who would ever consider a move to Oz.

Yes, objective in that I do not work for the Herald and therefore not me that is responsible for reporting these figures in the newspaper day after day.

If it is no big deal, why is it being commented upon and reported in the media day after day. Another report on Friday stated that the number who have left is at a nineteen year high. So how come we have such denial of a huge problem, by saying it is nothing new and has always happened in the past? I can beg to differ based upon the facts presented on numbers leaving. The numbers of new arrivals are also reported to be significantly down on previous years.

Anyone who has even the most basic of sales skills, will know it takes ten times more effort and resource to find new customers, than to keep the customers they already have at the palm of their hand. But NZ Inc. seems more than happy to constantly find new migrants to plug he gaps in a very leaky bucket, than address some of the problems and encourage people to stay. How high does the number have to reach before it is seen to be a real problem?

Afterall, we migrants are ten a penny and bring dollars to the NZ coffers directly and indirectly, so no worries if thousands leave, the attitude seems to be that it doesn't matter, there are plenty more replacements where we came from.

I also read recently that the campaign to entice Kiwi expats to come back home, had been abandoned because it was not working and had proved unsuccessful.
It's no different to Aus headhunting Kiwi's. In my day NZ trained nurses at no cost to be headhunted by both the UK and Aus. They tried to stem the flow by bonded loans to try to stop the flood overseas only to find that it compounded the problem.

Kiwi's always have and will continue to do their OE and I would always encourage them to do so. There is a big wide world out there that I believe all Kiwi's should explore.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Does anybody else think it is really weird to hear migrants discussing general migration as a bad thing?

What did we leave UK? In general terms because we thought the grass was greener, its very generally the same resons Kiwi leave here...................

...Surely if the Kiwis didn't leave, there would be no room for us here????
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:13 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Does anybody else think it is really weird to hear migrants discussing general migration as a bad thing?

What did we leave UK? In general terms because we thought the grass was greener, its very generally the same resons Kiwi leave here...................

...Surely if the Kiwis didn't leave, there would be no room for us here????
not really weird because most of us are tied up with NZ-plc, our homes/jobs/families/roots are here, so we are as concerned as Kiwis/NZers/whatever you might want to call them about skilled, talented people leaving these shores for Oz and what effect that will have on our hospitals, tradees, etc, etc.
Kinda normal thing to discuss, debate and wring our hands over.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
not really weird because most of us are tied up with NZ-plc, our homes/jobs/families/roots are here, so we are as concerned as Kiwis/NZers/whatever you might want to call them about skilled, talented people leaving these shores for Oz and what effect that will have on our hospitals, tradees, etc, etc.
Kinda normal thing to discuss, debate and wring our hands over.
are you not sleepy beautiful lardyl? What you up to. surely mrs lardyl is eagerly waiting for you

hi everybody. Why are you so serious about your life (here)? do you really have to?.......I don't understand.........
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:54 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
are you not sleepy beautiful lardyl? What you up to. surely mrs lardyl is eagerly waiting for you

hi everybody. Why are you so serious about your life (here)? do you really have to?.......I don't understand.........
hi Libby just avoiding loading the dishwasher before I turn in - played couple hrs of soccer so my legs ache and my endorphins are pumping - MrsL went to be before the end of Bad Boys 2, lightweight!
Hey Libby mores to the point are you not off to bed??
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
hi Libby just avoiding loading the dishwasher before I turn in - played couple hrs of soccer so my legs ache and my endorphins are pumping - MrsL went to be before the end of Bad Boys 2, lightweight!
Hey Libby mores to the point are you not off to bed??
for the whole day today I was thinking of Live football match and I reaaaaaaaaaaallllllly miss the British accents !!!!!!! (as time goes by)!

....I refuse to go to bed! cos it's not fun!

so.... you guys (who want to move to aussie) are more than happy to live with giant Cockroaches all the time

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 23rd 2008 at 3:22 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by crap coffee
for the whole day today I was thinking of Live football match and I reaaaaaaaaaaallllllly miss the British accents !!!!!!! (as time goes by)!

....I refuse to go to bed! cos it's not fun!

so.... you guys (who want to move to aussie) are more than happy to live with giant Cockroaches all the time
aahh yes I remember the giant cockroaches, AFAIK they are pretty harmless but seem impossible to totally remove from the home, I guess it would take one of those Rentokil guys and some expense, I never had the spare cash when living in Sydney.....I was just drifting of to sleep one night and one of those cockroaches landed on my face! must have lost its grip on the ceiling
Couldn't afford an air conditioned rental either, so in order to get to sleep in the heat I would have to frequent the local for a couple of 'scooners' and a fair bit of 'swearing' to help me and deal with the cockroaches....