Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

40% Ponder a move to Aussie

View Poll Results: Are you one of the 40%?
No way (not ever)
35.56%
Possibly (considering it)
51.11%
Yes (get me outta here asap)
11.11%
Already making moves to go
2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

40% Ponder a move to Aussie

Old Sep 13th 2008, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default 40% Ponder a move to Aussie

From today's herald, a Nielsen online survey of 500 Herald readers found 41.6 per cent have seriously considered moving to Australia, with most citing higher pay and lower taxes, better work prospects and the weather as motives.

The survey follows a year in which 45,000 people - 800 a day - left long-term for Australia as a migration wave, which began four years ago, continued to surge.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10531976

So have you thought about it?
Old Sep 13th 2008, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 40% Ponder a move to Aussie

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
From today's herald, a Nielsen online survey of 500 Herald readers found 41.6 per cent have seriously considered moving to Australia, with most citing higher pay and lower taxes, better work prospects and the weather as motives.

The survey follows a year in which 45,000 people - 800 a day - left long-term for Australia as a migration wave, which began four years ago, continued to surge.

No, loved my road trip to Oz, wonderful place for an extended vacation..but to live? Not for me. Full time it would be too hot, too big and a bit full on for me. We are not overly driven by higher earnings so there's no attraction there. As for the weather I think Oz will become more and more arid which will in turn lead to bigger problems.

NZ is way, way from perfection but it ticks all our boxes. Loving every minute of it..almost!!
Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

already done it.

No thanks
Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:50 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Not been to Oz yet, maybe more life??? lol or the USA..you never know whats next...lol
Old Sep 13th 2008, 12:15 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Two words, one hyphen.....

Tri-Nations

Bledisloe

Old Sep 13th 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not been to OZ yet but would like to go for a vacation. Other than that, we have rellies in OZ who moved there to Brisbane last year from here (kiwis) but I love my seasons and for me the spiders, snakes etc naahhh rather stay here.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

Are you sure your post gives an objective overview of what was reported Bo ?
The departures were offset by 13,600 long-term arrivals from Australia, including 8200 returning Kiwis and 5700 dinkum Aussies.

Top reasons for Kiwi's coming home

Never intended to stay long term 46.8%
Missed friends and family 40.5%
Missed NZ as a country 27.8%
Missed NZ lifestyle 21.2%
Work opportunities 17.8%
Yes there are a lot of Kiwi's moving to Aus, but you know what that has always been the case. What's so wrong with it, most of you in here have left your homeland haven't you ? Some of you will stay, some will go home and some will go elsewhere.

I think the Herald articles are pretty honest and objective, especially the comparisons on food and actual real estate costs. Though bananas were still up around $5 a kilo when I was in Sydney last week. Still that's far better than the $13.99 they were 18 months ago when we were in Brissie.

Anyone who ticks their departure card as going to be away for twelve months or more falls into those 800 a day figures.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/transtasma...m?c_id=1501052

Last edited by Bellasmum; Sep 14th 2008 at 1:13 am.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

We are seriously considering it, We have just had enough of living in Auckland and although we thought that to move to the south island would solve our issues, I'm not sure it will.

Maybe Aussie, the only thing stopping me is the hassle of setting up somewhere completely new and the money that will "wasted" get us both plus a dog and a household over there.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Same as love30, possibly or USA next. I'll tell ya in 18months when the work visa is up!!
Old Sep 14th 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jueinnz
We are seriously considering it, We have just had enough of living in Auckland and although we thought that to move to the south island would solve our issues, I'm not sure it will.

Maybe Aussie, the only thing stopping me is the hassle of setting up somewhere completely new and the money that will "wasted" get us both plus a dog and a household over there.
It would probably cost u more to move to the South Island. It is very expensive or it was, they used to reckon it was cheaper to travel to Oz. The only problem leaving Auckland is work issues. If anyone is fortunate enough to find a job outside of Auckland that pays well its happy days. The vast majority end up in Auckland, which as u already know is top dollar for everything. So the exodus will continue and the media will juggle the figures no doubt. N.Z. is the easiest country by far to emigrate to. Try getting into Canada or Aus its a different story altogether. Homework really does need to be done by future emigrants because once u get to N.Z. its generally Auckland or nothing. (work wise). Good luck with your decision.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:50 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick2007
It would probably cost u more to move to the South Island. It is very expensive or it was, they used to reckon it was cheaper to travel to Oz. The only problem leaving Auckland is work issues. If anyone is fortunate enough to find a job outside of Auckland that pays well its happy days. The vast majority end up in Auckland, which as u already know is top dollar for everything. So the exodus will continue and the media will juggle the figures no doubt. N.Z. is the easiest country by far to emigrate to. Try getting into Canada or Aus its a different story altogether. Homework really does need to be done by future emigrants because once u get to N.Z. its generally Auckland or nothing. (work wise). Good luck with your decision.
I've no doubt that for certain jobs Auckland would be a favoured destination. But it would be far too simplistic to say its Auckland or nothing. For example, Wellington has higher average take home salaries than Auckland. And until recently Christchurch and Central Otago were the places with the most buoyant construction industries. And looking at the unemployment statistics, it is the regions (examples being Taranaki or Southland) that have the tightest labour markets, and are crying out most for certain professions and trades.

Trying to determine whether NZ is a good place to live in by looking at its migration to Australia is a difficult exercise. Australia (or at least its 3 resource rich states - Queensland, SA and WA) has really been in a league of its own for the last 5-8 years as the mineral boom has kicked in. For a lot of kiwis it is only logical that they cash in on this boom, and take the opportunity of living somewhere else for at least a few years. Most seem to go with the intention of returning to NZ - whether or not they do is another matter.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:58 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Not true my husband was offered a job with a big company for less money than he got offered here in little old wanganui...

Auckland is a expensive place to live and they don't always pay good wages...but my oh does work for a big corporation who have companies in Oz USA... so you never know.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by southerner
I've no doubt that for certain jobs Auckland would be a favoured destination. But it would be far too simplistic to say its Auckland or nothing. For example, Wellington has higher average take home salaries than Auckland. And until recently Christchurch and Central Otago were the places with the most buoyant construction industries. And looking at the unemployment statistics, it is the regions (examples being Taranaki or Southland) that have the tightest labour markets, and are crying out most for certain professions and trades.

Trying to determine whether NZ is a good place to live in by looking at its migration to Australia is a difficult exercise. Australia (or at least its 3 resource rich states - Queensland, SA and WA) has really been in a league of its own for the last 5-8 years as the mineral boom has kicked in. For a lot of kiwis it is only logical that they cash in on this boom, and take the opportunity of living somewhere else for at least a few years. Most seem to go with the intention of returning to NZ - whether or not they do is another matter.
I know a while ago (the Immigration) were trying to get immigrants to settle in others locations other than Auckland as it was getting swamped. By the figures it shows it to be the largest city. I think this troubling many future expats the exodus to Oz etc. As the supposed plane loads are coming in just as many are going out i think there was an article in the Herald about this. N.Z. is badly suffering from a brain drain and that is very worrying.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by love30stm
Not true my husband was offered a job with a big company for less money than he got offered here in little old wanganui...

Auckland is a expensive place to live and they don't always pay good wages...but my oh does work for a big corporation who have companies in Oz USA... so you never know.
Well all i can say is your husband is very fortunate. Yes Auckland is well overpriced you are correct.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:08 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

...N.Z. is badly suffering from a brain drain and that is very worrying.
Apart from a few doctors, the brain drain is mainly not to Australia, but to places like the Uk and US.

Its always going to be harder for small countries to retain their best talent, or at least entice them back after they have done their OE. Ireland has always suffered the same, although seems to have got it right the last decade or so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.