Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

DreamingOfKiwis is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking 4 years out - but planning ahead

Hello all !

This is my first post

For some intro
-I'm German and have lived in the UK for 7 years now with
my OH who is British and our 2 kids (6 and 1).
I've been planning our escape from Europe for years (probably all my life LOL)
Finally agreed on NZ *yay*

OK, so the plan is to enter as a skilled migrant.
Thing is, I still have to choose which degree to get so
here's where some advice is needed.
Been scouring the skills shortage lists etc and have
pretty much narrowed it down to

Chemistry
Biological Science or
Environmental Biology

I would do something in healthcare (dietetics, optometry or midwifery)
if I could, but due to the required placements can't

Anyway, figured I'd see if anyone who has a better idea of the job market
out there had some more suggestions ?
I'm pretty open, but a bit of a science geek and not interested in teaching
or nursing.
Planning on attending at least one of the NZ expos to get a better idea as well.

Personally, I'd love to live on the South Island -preferably Dunedin or anywhere in Otago/Southland.
I have some previous NZ experience as I lived out there for a year when I was a student... some 12 years ago though I'm sure things have changed since then, which can't be a bad thing as life was very isolated downunder back then...

Well, I think that's all for now.
Oh yeah, how did y'all get your job offers and how long does the whole visa process generally take/how much does it cost ?
Planning to come out there as soon as I get my Bachelor as DD will have finished year 6 then.

TIA and looking forward to getting to know everyone a lot better
Marie
Old Mar 21st 2011, 7:00 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 years out - but planning ahead

Hi Marie
Sorry, I can't answer your questions but hopefully someone who can will be along later....just wanted to welcome you to this friendly forum and wish you luck with your plans......happy posting!
B
Old Mar 21st 2011, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Thank You for the welcome !

I realize my questions are probably rather specific... basically I'm just trying to choose a degree/career tailored to immigrating to NZ lol

Any and all help appreciated.
Cheers !
Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold

Something to bear in mind....if you're the main applicant then just having the right degree may not give you enough points. They also look for work experience in that field...points depend on time spent working.

The jobs on the short term skills list are updated annually (I think) and so what may be on there now may not be in the future when you need it to be!

ALso, make sure that enough credits are gained in your degree to be comparable to the NZ requirements, depending on the vocation you choose.

4 years seems a long time but once you get into study you will cross off the years before your move!

I did similar....after visiting my brother in NZ in Dec 2009 we decided to migrate! Within 3 weeks I had picked up again with a BA hons Early Years (Open University) (had already done 1 year but was going to stay with the level 4 this gave me) and will qualify Oct 2012 with the view in moving Sept 2013.
If I wasn't planning on emigrating I would never have carried on with the degree and NZ keeps me going!!

Lots for you to think about and keep us posted!
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

yeah I made sure the bachelor is all they're asking for
(not stipulating any work experience)

Chemistry is probably my safest bet with regards to changing skills lists.
They'll obviously always need teachers and nurses though (lucky you!)

Good luck with your qualifications !