4 year milestone

Old May 3rd 2009, 6:43 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4 year milestone

Well we have hit our 4 year milestone, its wierd to think that we used to live in UK, feels like we have been here all our lives !! Have not applied for citizenship, but will do as we have only a few months left on UK passports.

I suppose we have made a few mistakes along the way, like buying a house to quickly and not taking time to look around, could have done better, but hey, were quite comfortable in the Bronx , its warm, its very sunny even in winter our back rooms are boiling, got views as well, just want a more village feel or countryside place next.

Work wise, well i have been self employed now for over a year and a half, things still go up and down each month, more so now than when i first started, have to be on my toes, as ohters are always after my clients, but hey one door closes another one opens. These past few months have been tough as some days go realy slow, and when that happens my mind starts to wonder and digress.

My wife graduated last year, and started work in the mental health industry, and there is a huge ammount of it in NZ, she graduated in Counselling, but as yet, not found work in that line.

Went back to UK this Christmas, to see folks mainly, but TBH, in hindsight was a waste of $14k, when i think of the hols we could have had, from here to OZ or Fiji mmm selfish i know, but when we got to UK, it was not a nice place to be, we rushed around from one house to another, did not do half the things we thought we would, and before we knew it, it ws time to come home, after 1 1/2 weeks, we wanted to come back to NZ and "HOME" never thought i would think of it that way, but i do now. We felt like aliens in UK, did not feel like we belonged there any more, the place had not changed much, but the people had, seemed down trodden and not many returned my " gidday " most looked horrified if you sadi "HI" to them, and London well WTF is wrong with that place, the people live such hectic and mad lives, i'm surprised thier not all dead by 40.

Well we have been in Dunedin all our 4 years, but i hope one day that we can move again and experience another city/town in NZ, or even a move out of city limits, Dunedin has its down sides and lots of good sides to, the only problem with NZ is its houses and bad drivers, the Kiwis have got to be one of the worst drivers in the world, they wonder why they die or get injured so much on the roads, they dont indicate, well not until they go to turn, they follow you like bungy drivers, you try it, pull away from one and before you know it they will be right up your arse, when they get to the over taking lanes, i think the wide road makes them get a sence of speed frenzy, if you follow one who is doing 70k, guaranteed as soon as you go to overtake on the second lane road, they speed up to 110k, you end up doing 130 to get past the F*******, but apart from that we have met some awesome people, made some good Kiw friends, still see people in town who came from UK to.

One thing i would like to do more of, is to see more of thr SI and eventually the NI, seen a fair bit, but my outlook on life is " you never know how long you have on this earth" so make the most of it now, i feel it would be a waste if you dont get out and see some of the country that you spent all that time and money to get in to !! Every now and then, you need to take a step back, go see some NZ and breath in the fresh unpopulated air, and realise why you came here, its all to easy to fall into the work, no play, i get the Kiwis now on that front, you see them bunking off work to grab a wave, go Kayaking, skiing etc, and what do us Pomes do, work all the bloody hours God sends and for what ??Each to thier own i suppose.

My BIL and wife live in Invercargill and we catch up with them now and then, it is nice to know family are here, we hope that the MIL and FIL will see the light and leave UK soon, as all of thier children are in NZ, they ahve a bloody good chance of getting in without hassle, the only thing is my FIL wants to be in a place thats a wee bit warmer, so one day we will look at Nelson for them, or this year take a 2 week tour of that area with them, as they are coming back to NZ for Christmas again.

I really hope this recession doesn't last to long and those of us who have made it here, get through it safe and sound, and continue to flourish in thier choosen places in NZ.

Good luck to all of you who are still trying to get inot NZ, and we wish you success on that front, dont give up if its your desire to live and play in another country, its tough for at least 2 years , but once you get established then it feels like you have been here all your life.

Nige, Karla and Martha, Dunedin May 05
Old May 3rd 2009, 7:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: 4 year milestone

Thanks for sharing Nige.

The only thing I can, heartfelt, say to you is that spending money to see immediate family is never, ever a waste as you won't have them forever. Cherish those moments. Just really cherish those moments & be glad you spent that money because it is only money and people are special.

It's not a holiday. It is an act of love and a return is always hectic as you found out. Be glad you did this.
Old May 3rd 2009, 7:04 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh your'e right Bev , its just that the way things are with $$ ect, when you come back here, you can see what it could have been spent on, but yeh it was great to see the folks, even though we were pushed from pillar to post, my dad was crook before we went and had only just recovered, he did pick up whilst we were there, and like you say, might not see them again, and they also got to see thier grand daughter to, you know what i mean though ay ?? lol

How was your trip, pm me on that ??
Old May 3rd 2009, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Great post, it's nice to hear how someone else is getting on. We haven't been here 4 years only 1 & half months but are totally loving it.

Well done you guys
Old May 3rd 2009, 8:23 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed - good post and I feel just like you in thinking of NZ as home. Have absolutely no desire to go back to UK - 3 1/2 years in and loving it!
Old May 3rd 2009, 10:17 am
Just Joined

here to stay is an unknown quantity at this point

Fantastic post.......

Next time instead of wasting your money going there, do as i did and send it to them to come here !!!
More of a holiday for them instead of you !!
Nice post either way
Old May 4th 2009, 8:36 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Just like to echo what the others have said - great post, thank you for taking the time to write your update Nige.
Old May 4th 2009, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

dab2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad it's working out for you and your family Nige. Enjoyed reading the post and the pictures on the other thread. My wife and I visited Kaikura in the summer of 1994 on a three week tour of the SI - but on the three days we could have gone out on the boats sailings were canceled due to rough seas - shame. We would have liked to see the whales. I liked Dunedin a lot and would have liked to settle there. However, when we landed in Auckland my wife found a job within 2 weeks and myself within 6 weeks - so we stayed in Auckland for the 20 months we were in NZ. Wife didn't settle unfortunately - so ee have been back in the UK for 14 years but have a good life here. However, I still pine for those clear blue NZ skies and the peace and quite.

In an alternative Universe I would live six months of the year in NZ and the other six months in the UK. I will have to buy that lottery ticket on Saturday!

Last edited by dab2; May 4th 2009 at 3:17 pm.
Old May 4th 2009, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
Well we have hit our 4 year milestone, its wierd to think that we used to live in UK, feels like we have been here all our lives !! Have not applied for citizenship, but will do as we have only a few months left on UK passports.

I suppose we have made a few mistakes along the way, like buying a house to quickly and not taking time to look around, could have done better, but hey, were quite comfortable in the Bronx , its warm, its very sunny even in winter our back rooms are boiling, got views as well, just want a more village feel or countryside place next.

Work wise, well i have been self employed now for over a year and a half, things still go up and down each month, more so now than when i first started, have to be on my toes, as ohters are always after my clients, but hey one door closes another one opens. These past few months have been tough as some days go realy slow, and when that happens my mind starts to wonder and digress.

My wife graduated last year, and started work in the mental health industry, and there is a huge ammount of it in NZ, she graduated in Counselling, but as yet, not found work in that line.

Went back to UK this Christmas, to see folks mainly, but TBH, in hindsight was a waste of $14k, when i think of the hols we could have had, from here to OZ or Fiji mmm selfish i know, but when we got to UK, it was not a nice place to be, we rushed around from one house to another, did not do half the things we thought we would, and before we knew it, it ws time to come home, after 1 1/2 weeks, we wanted to come back to NZ and "HOME" never thought i would think of it that way, but i do now. We felt like aliens in UK, did not feel like we belonged there any more, the place had not changed much, but the people had, seemed down trodden and not many returned my " gidday " most looked horrified if you sadi "HI" to them, and London well WTF is wrong with that place, the people live such hectic and mad lives, i'm surprised thier not all dead by 40.

Well we have been in Dunedin all our 4 years, but i hope one day that we can move again and experience another city/town in NZ, or even a move out of city limits, Dunedin has its down sides and lots of good sides to, the only problem with NZ is its houses and bad drivers, the Kiwis have got to be one of the worst drivers in the world, they wonder why they die or get injured so much on the roads, they dont indicate, well not until they go to turn, they follow you like bungy drivers, you try it, pull away from one and before you know it they will be right up your arse, when they get to the over taking lanes, i think the wide road makes them get a sence of speed frenzy, if you follow one who is doing 70k, guaranteed as soon as you go to overtake on the second lane road, they speed up to 110k, you end up doing 130 to get past the F*******, but apart from that we have met some awesome people, made some good Kiw friends, still see people in town who came from UK to.

One thing i would like to do more of, is to see more of thr SI and eventually the NI, seen a fair bit, but my outlook on life is " you never know how long you have on this earth" so make the most of it now, i feel it would be a waste if you dont get out and see some of the country that you spent all that time and money to get in to !! Every now and then, you need to take a step back, go see some NZ and breath in the fresh unpopulated air, and realise why you came here, its all to easy to fall into the work, no play, i get the Kiwis now on that front, you see them bunking off work to grab a wave, go Kayaking, skiing etc, and what do us Pomes do, work all the bloody hours God sends and for what ??Each to thier own i suppose.

My BIL and wife live in Invercargill and we catch up with them now and then, it is nice to know family are here, we hope that the MIL and FIL will see the light and leave UK soon, as all of thier children are in NZ, they ahve a bloody good chance of getting in without hassle, the only thing is my FIL wants to be in a place thats a wee bit warmer, so one day we will look at Nelson for them, or this year take a 2 week tour of that area with them, as they are coming back to NZ for Christmas again.

I really hope this recession doesn't last to long and those of us who have made it here, get through it safe and sound, and continue to flourish in thier choosen places in NZ.

Good luck to all of you who are still trying to get inot NZ, and we wish you success on that front, dont give up if its your desire to live and play in another country, its tough for at least 2 years , but once you get established then it feels like you have been here all your life.

Nige, Karla and Martha, Dunedin May 05
Great post, and I am not just saying that because I grew up in Dunedin!! I agree with what the other's said about family.

You must be integrating very well because you sound like a true kiwi. I laughed about what you wrote about the driving, my dad always says that there is no point indicating - because then people will know where you are going!! ha ha, he's never had an accident though!
Old May 5th 2009, 4:05 am
Dorset to Dunedin

It takes at least 2 years or more to get realy settled IMO, had some wobbly moments, tears even, but these last couple of years have been great, got great Kiwi friends, first of all you tend to go and meet Brits and others who are in same boat as you, then you start to get around a bit, i started my own business from scratch, done that for 1 1/2 years, and in that time my wife went to UNI and did a 3 year course in 2, graduated before she was 40 this year, that was an awesome moment, a fuzzy feeling moment, and now i have new job to start, a career in the Prison service, so thses past few years have been crazy, busy, good and bad times, and the trip back to UK realy does reinforce why you moved here, it never fails to amaze me how awesome this country realy is, yeh it has ist faults, but not that many to be worried about.

The people are so friendly and no traffic jams, less crime, well down this end of NZ any way !! and the scenery even after 4 years is still mesmerising.

Bring on life .
Old May 5th 2009, 4:52 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: 4 year milestone

Newb

Good going mate, I think it's chocolate fish time for you .
Old May 5th 2009, 7:20 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely post Nige - as always You know, even if I sent my mum the cash she still wouldn't get on a plane! My son even said he'd bring her but nope - she's only just managed trains in the last couple of years

Home's a state of mind I always think and I'm really really glad (even when the proverbial hits the fan) that I feel I'm home.
Old May 5th 2009, 10:16 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Nige - echo's many of the feelings we've had about the move.

We're down in Dunners in a couple of weekends time - fancy catching up over a coffee (if before 11am) or beer (if after)?
Old May 5th 2009, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

What a wonderful post....especially for us...just starting out on the long road to NZ. Perfect timing.....I had just finished reading some negative stuff. I'm not being daft, I much prefer to know the bad stuff too....but anyway read your post and it was lovely......truely heartwarming to read.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts
Take Care
Maria
Old May 5th 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nige

Glad to hear you are still enjoying Dunners after 4 years,seeing as we will be landing in Dunedin on 4th July Loved your pics and you look as if you are really enjoying that pool Going to see the whales and dolphins at Kaikoura is a must do for us at some point. Hope you and the family continue to enjoy your life in NZ.

Phyl x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.