British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   3rd year nurse student thinking of emigrating (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/3rd-year-nurse-student-thinking-emigrating-930844/)

Stingray88uk Feb 4th 2020 4:00 pm

3rd year nurse student thinking of emigrating

Hi everyone.

I am currently coming to the end of my nurse training, and have wanted to emigrate to Australia or NZ for many years. Obviously, I need to qualify and get a couple (or more) years experience, but where would you recommend moving to? We don’t want to replace cold and wet for cold and wet! What are nursing working conditions like- surely no worse than the U.K.? And just general advice please, do’s and dont’s,
It would be myself (31), wife and 1 or 2 kids (16 & 8) moving over, if the eldest does come, if all goes to plan, she’ll be a newly qualified midwife.

I’ve been informed that Australia is now very hard for nurses to emigrate to, how is the situation in NZ?

Thank you

inkedneonurse Feb 6th 2020 6:19 am

Re: 3rd year nurse student thinking of emigrating

Originally Posted by Stingray88uk (Post 12801568)
Hi everyone.

I am currently coming to the end of my nurse training, and have wanted to emigrate to Australia or NZ for many years. Obviously, I need to qualify and get a couple (or more) years experience, but where would you recommend moving to? We don’t want to replace cold and wet for cold and wet! What are nursing working conditions like- surely no worse than the U.K.? And just general advice please, do’s and dont’s,
It would be myself (31), wife and 1 or 2 kids (16 & 8) moving over, if the eldest does come, if all goes to plan, she’ll be a newly qualified midwife.

I’ve been informed that Australia is now very hard for nurses to emigrate to, how is the situation in NZ?

Thank you

hi there, as it is ever changing any information we give will be out of date very quickly, Oz is better pay nursing wise but i love NZ so who knows, keep an eye on groups like this to see if the rules change(election in NZ this year and immigration is always a big political football)

Justcol Feb 6th 2020 8:55 am

First thing to do is make your mind up where you want to migrate to. New Zealand and Australia are not alike in any way. Do not think they are similar simply because of where they are. The distance between them is the same as London to Newfoundland and I'm sure you can see how a comparison between the UK and Canada would be futile.
I'm sure where you settle would be dependant on more than just the weather, as based on the info you've given you're looking at everywhere between Christchurch and Cape Reinga.
The best advice is initially go to wherever you can get a job and then figure the rest out from there. Housing costs can also be a big factor so I would suggest spending a little time checking out prices and housing styles on trademe and Realestate NZ.

MrsFychan Feb 7th 2020 3:39 am

South Island is colder than the North but both weathers are extreme so can go from very cold to very hot.
Aotearoa - stands for Land of the long white cloud so don't come expecting hours and days full of sunshine.
So far this week, its summer, we've had flooding down in the South Island, earthquakes in the North Island and every type of weather, rain, wind, gales, sunny pleasant and sunny to blinkin hot.