British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   30km/h temporary speed limit signs on NZ highways (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/30km-h-temporary-speed-limit-signs-nz-highways-738191/)

DC10 Nov 7th 2011 11:55 pm

30km/h temporary speed limit signs on NZ highways

In your experience, what percentage of the time are these even remotely justified?

Putting these absurd signs up for miles when there is only an orange cone and perhaps a yard or two of rough seal to show for it is in fact dangerous, as it means nobody takes them seriously on occasions when there might actually be workers at risk.

theghostofdustybin Nov 8th 2011 1:46 am

Re: 30km/h temporary speed limit signs on NZ highways

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 9719855)
In your experience, what percentage of the time are these even remotely justified?

Putting these absurd signs up for miles when there is only an orange cone and perhaps a yard or two of rough seal to show for it is in fact dangerous, as it means nobody takes them seriously on occasions when there might actually be workers at risk.

i'm sure the workers on the road appreciate you doing their risk assessments for them....

RobClubley Nov 8th 2011 2:31 am

I always slow down. The way they do roadworks and new seals here makes my car very sad.

Expat Kiwi Nov 8th 2011 4:18 am

30 km is more to do with stone chips and keeping your windshield and headlamps intact. I too dislike the way they seal the roads in NZ, there would be hell to pay if they did the same over here.

Charismatic Nov 8th 2011 8:12 am

I only object when there are only ghost chips (:p) and nobody is actually working, this seems to be at least half of the time in my experience. However I also don’t like bumpy roads so it’s a bit of a conundrum.

lardyl Nov 8th 2011 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 9720281)
I only object when there are only ghost chips (:p) and nobody is actually working......

The 30 on SH1 on the waterfront in Orewa has been there for six months at least and all of the works have long gone. I think it is there because of the almighty cock-up they made of remodelling the road. At least now they've fixed some of the traffic islands.
Really rather annoying.

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 8th 2011 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 9721635)
The 30 on SH1 on the waterfront in Orewa has been there for six months at least and all of the works have long gone. I think it is there because of the almighty cock-up they made of remodelling the road. At least now they've fixed some of the traffic islands.
Really rather annoying.

But there's sometimes a speed camera there & it will 'do' you for going over 30 :eek:. Some discussion locally over whether the speed limit of 30 is now mandatory on this stretch of road, no-one seems to know :confused:

And it's no longer SH1 since the shiny,new toll road!:p:D