Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

3 years in - some rambling thoughts!

3 years in - some rambling thoughts!

Old Oct 3rd 2008, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 years in - some rambling thoughts!

Sorry to hear of your troubles at the hands of your fellow ex-pats Have these incidents totally spoiled your life in New Zealand or do you enjoy some aspects of it? Five and a half years is a long time to not be enjoying where you live.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 3 years in - some rambling thoughts!

Originally Posted by Black Sheep
I won't spoil it then for you by telling MY 5 1/2-years-in story here.

I will just say though that over the course of reading many posts in this forum over the past few months, I've noticed that many people who say they really enjoy living here also often mention how much they love their logburners. I'm curious: are these 'clean burning' logburners, up to the new required emissions standards? Here in Chch, they've been trying to ban smoggy logburners for more than 5 years now, but have kept having to postpone the ban deadline (was supposed to be 4 years ago but still hasn't come into effect yet). The smog problem in Chch is just terrible, everyone knows this and everyone knows about the impending ban on the older types, yet there are some who continue to use them as if it's somehow 'OK' just because Environment Canterbury hasn't been able to get it passed as 'law' yet - yea right! As if, if it's not law, it's somehow not causing pollution or affecting anyone else's health or right to enjoyment of their own property!

My neighbours are British, maybe they even come on to this forum, maybe they're reading this right now - they've literally forced us out of our home because they burn their logburner day and night (it's on a wetback so heats their water) for 8 months of the year at least, and our health is suffering for it (windows/doors can't keep logburner smoke out, in fact a new study of a month or so ago determined that the air inside a home/building with all windows & doors shut has as much particulate pollution from logburners as the air outside the home/building. We didn't need a study to tell us that though, weve had to live in a smoke-filled-even-with-windows-shut home for years now) We've told these neighbours as nicely as we could that their logburner smoke is bothering us and harmful to our/our children's health - they seem to be burning wet wood as well and it smells like sewage, it's really really bad.... and they've basically given us the two finger salute in response, said to us "it doesn't bother US", and that was that, smoke continued to pour out of their chimney into our house on a daily basis... and they became very unfriendly and then, though we've never done ANYTHING to THEM other than mention their smoke, did a nasty to us that I won't go into . This is an affluent area, and most people have already converted over to clean heat appliances (mostly heat pumps), and on a beautiful mild night only our British neighbours will have their burner going with the smog pouring out over the road very visibly and densely under the street lights, you can see it from half a mile away.

My point? Weve had a hard time in NZ. We have to deal with Kiwi tradespeople and businesses on a more regular basis than many of you folk will ever have to if you're lucky, and that's pretty bad already and has meant serious big time losses of money to us (there will be some who will understand without my having to explain). But ironically it's been expats here who've had the biggest kind of impact on us, the kind for instance that has made it impossible for us to live in our own home and forced us to move. It was a Brit too who installed heat pumps for us some years back in three homes. He did such a bad job, and all three were wrongly sized and we suffered greatly from that, that was $10,000 out the window as not one of the heat pumps warmed those homes even somewhat, and so they had to be supplemented with oil heaters such that our electricity costs actually increased while the warmth of our houses decreased. That guy, British as I said, will tell you how great NZ is. He's totally incompetent but lives in a beautiful huge house (he told us all about it) out in the Chch suburbs, the likes of which he explained to us (before he installed the heatpumps, so while we were still on good speaking terms!) he could never have dreamed of owning back in London. Coz here in NZ, it's MUCH easier to get away with being incompetent... which obviously is going to make life more 'enjoyable' here than 'back home' for certain types who wouldn't be able to hold a job for long anywhere else but here.

So there's the irony - that possibly the 'happiest' of the expats in NZ are the ones that are making my family the unhappiest...
Hi there it doesnt sound like you have had a very good time of things. I know what you mean about the smoke although we only get it in the winter the problem here is that this house is a 2 story and all the ones around it are single story and all of our living area is upstairs (downstairs is office rumpus room and garage) So we get everyones chimney smoke in the winter its horrible. So i do feel sorry for you in that respect sometimes neighbours can be like naughty kids aye you say something and they do there damndest to pee you off.

So will you be staying in NZ or are you planning on a return to old blighty? its a shame that you have had a few negative things happen during your time here any possibility of moving somewhere else maybe i know its a pain but if it gives you more quality of life it may be worth it.

Anyhow all the best to you and your family i hope something works out to your benefit (have you tried contacting the environmental people about the amount of smoke coming from the neighbours chimney and the council there may not even be a permit for the fire thats in your neigbours house thats something worth thinking about.(some cowboy installer may have put it in and all those fires have to have had permts when they were installed.
Cheers
Cally
Old Oct 5th 2008, 11:53 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Another member of the 3 year anniversary gang here!
We arrived 23 Sept 2005 and every year spend the last weekend in Sept or 1st in Oct as our family anniversary weekend away.
This year we travelled up to Tauranga to watch my 10 year old daughter compete in the National Taekwondo Championships - she got a gold and bronze medal - she is a superstar!!
Anyway my tuppence worth:
We left the UK primarily for a better quality of life for the kids - but also to escape the rat race, crowds, crime, social degeneration etc that we found the UK to be suffering from.
We've not been dissapointed!
We have less money than back in the UK and get to spend less time than we'd like exploring our new country - although saying that we've done most of the NI - apart from north of Auk. (invite please Laura!)
Very few negatives about life here - infact I really can't think of a significant one.
Loads of positives - less crowds, more friendly people, great scenery, great beaches, outdoor life, shorts worn for 9 months of the year, fantastic house with great views, chickens, dogs, less stress by far in our lives, car left unlocked - house too most of the time. But most of all I really feel that we have given our kids a brilliant start in life. They are safe, confident, adventurous and fun loving. They have lovely sets of friends. They're NOT interested in what thong Brittney is wearing this week or having the latest trainers - thank goodness! They are little Kiwis! I'm sure they'll appreciate the reasons for our move later in life. I fully expect them to depart for new shores in 10 years or so - but they'll be back. (hopefully wedged up after a few years working in London or the like!)
So - roll on 5 years and citizenship

In short we love it here and have absolutely no desire to move back to the UK!!
Old Oct 5th 2008, 11:57 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Just an add on to the above - a huge Thankyou to Dom & Kate (aka Genesis) who house sat while we were away. Not just 'house sat' but mended the chicken coup, guttering, did the ironing, cleaned the house pretty much from top to bottom, did the washing, and even had a couple of cups of tea ready for our return last night!!

The perfect house guests - and as I said on the phone last night Dom, you're booked in once a month whether you want to or not!!

So if you're going away for the weekend and want a lovely family to house sit can I recommend the Timmons - super people!
Old Oct 7th 2008, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

As i have always said, NZ is great if you have NO housing costs or have a good pension from UK, it is also fantastic for kids, the big BUT is if you have to pay for a Kiwi mortgage at 9-10% interest rate, the salaries are low, the taxes and health care are very poor indeed. If you are an average Joe with mortgage or you have to pay a rent with only 1 income , then you will find how hard it is just to exist in NZ ! You will not not have much fun when you can hardly afford to heat the house !

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Oct 7th 2008 at 5:48 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:03 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
...the big BUT is if you have to pay for a Kiwi mortgage at 9-10% interest rate, the salaries are low, the taxes and health care are very poor indeed.
From what I understand most people in Europe, US and UK have these exact same concerns (especially debt worries, and cost of living rising faster than disposable income). I suspect that any relative disadvantages of these factors (NZ vs UK) might have decreased over the last year in particular.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by southerner
From what I understand most people in Europe, US and UK have these exact same concerns (especially debt worries, and cost of living rising faster than disposable income). I suspect that any relative disadvantages of these factors (NZ vs UK) might have decreased over the last year in particular.
You quoted the relevant point that i was making all along but you didn't seem to understand my point, i will make it clear to you "Southerner", mortgage rates in NZ are 9-10% , in EURO zone they are 4-5 % , Switzerland they are 2% , the interest "compounds", so you pay a lot more for your NZ mortage than in Europe.
Anyone paying a 90-100% mortgage housing costs will not be able to live !
Why houses are so expensive in such an empty country ? Well that is another story, 4 million people occupy a small space (2000m square)
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:13 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I understood your point and added my own...

I'll add another (if I may) - I don't think people should move or not move to other countries based on what short term interest rates are doing, unless thats omehow indicates something about long term cost of living. Interest rates in NZ have been high the last couple of years for particular reasons (mainly to try taking the steam out of the housing market). The use of fixed rate mortgages has made that a more onerous task than in some other countries.

Also, with house price inflation being strong over the last 6 years in NZ, the real interest rate on property lending has probably been negative. I doubt there have been many homeowners who over that sort of period are unhappy with their decisions to buy property and to have used mortgage finance for that.

Yes - the housing market has turned, and interest rates are still high. That will change though.

I have no idea whether real interest rates over the long term are higher in NZ than elsewhere in the world.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:40 am
Here in Dunedin

Originally Posted by Joshlin
dislike the kiwi lack of urgency when want to get things done
Isn't that the truth - we've had a plumber half way through a job for the last 5 weeks. Its like you have to chain him to the pipes before he'll finish the job.
Still, I guess its hard to have all the positive things about it being a laidback country without some downsides.

raise a drink for us on saturday - next stop citizenship

Cheers
We did - Cheers!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

As i have always said, NZ is great if you have NO housing costs or have a good pension from UK, it is also fantastic for kids, the big BUT is if you have to pay for a Kiwi mortgage at 9-10% interest rate, the salaries are low, the taxes and health care are very poor indeed. If you are an average Joe with mortgage or you have to pay a rent with only 1 income , then you will find how hard it is just to exist in NZ ! You will not not have much fun when you can hardly afford to heat the house !
as you may have guessed we are happy and coping - and we do have a mortgage, are not living off a good pension from the Uk, have both taken a cut in wages and have much less free cash than we were used to - I would say we are more than existing but I do accept that these factors can make life tough - for us it's been about adjusting our shopping style, budgeting and moving away from the want it now - we still manage to throw in beer / wine on the weekly shopping so we are not going without.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

as you may have guessed we are happy and coping - and we do have a mortgage, are not living off a good pension from the Uk, have both taken a cut in wages and have much less free cash than we were used to - I would say we are more than existing but I do accept that these factors can make life tough - for us it's been about adjusting our shopping style, budgeting and moving away from the want it now - we still manage to throw in beer / wine on the weekly shopping so we are not going without.
Do you go to work too, Joshlin ?

In NZ there is no 0% tax bracket, and also the maximum tax bracket kicks in for most emigrants who work a 40 hour week. For all this tax, you get a health service that must be the worst in the Western world , there are very few motorways, railways or public transport.

There is virtually full employment, everyone is paying these extortionate amounts of tax, but what does the government spend it all on in such an empty country ? The taxes only cover a very very basic pension, the government earns 1000s $$$ of receipts from new immigrants. Because of the full employment, not that many people receive the DPB (Welfare). The NZ government is a tax and spend sort like the Labour party in the 70s and 80s, with massive numbers of quango "consultants", Kiwis are leaving for Oz in increasing numbers every year, but this government just go on spending all the taxpayers' money on themselves. Where is the dynamic nation we expect from a country that we emigrate to ?

Saying that, You do feel as if you have won the lottery when you live in New Zealand, it is just the numbers do not add when you balance the books !

I think i would be a "Happy Clappy" Kiwi also if i was a househusband !

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Oct 8th 2008 at 9:38 am.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Do you go to work too, Joshlin ?

In NZ there is no 0% tax bracket, and also the maximum tax bracket kicks in for most emigrants who work a 40 hour week. For all this tax, you get a health service that must be the worst in the Western world , there are very few motorways, railways or public transport.

There is virtually full employment, everyone is paying these extortionate amounts of tax, but what does the government spend it all on in such an empty country ? The taxes only cover a very very basic pension, the government earns 1000s $$$ of receipts from new immigrants. Because of the full employment, not that many people receive the DPB (Welfare). The NZ government is a tax and spend sort like the Labour party in the 70s and 80s, with massive numbers of quango "consultants", Kiwis are leaving for Oz in increasing numbers every year, but this government just go on spending all the taxpayers' money on themselves. Where is the dynamic nation we expect from a country that we emigrate to ?

Saying that, You do feel as if you have won the lottery when you live in New Zealand, it is just the numbers do not add when you balance the books !

I think i would be a "Happy Clappy" Kiwi also if i was a househusband !
both hubby and I work - he works avge 42hr week, i am self employed, working p/t to enable me to do the mummy type stuff (help out with school / pre-school / do the afterschool care and school holiday care).
we are in receipt of child care subsidy and working for families tax credit - and we haven't reached top level tax rates yet.

re: health care, I have been massively impressed so far - my son had to have minor surgery - the GP was responsive, the specialist appt came through quickly as did the surgery, I could not fault the care provided or the follow up.

whilst i am not ignorant to the difficulties and I am all for the expression of all experiences including the negative ones I do feel that we are probably average joe and we are doing more than just existing - we have a good life and are happy to be happy clappers
Old Oct 8th 2008, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

both hubby and I work - he works avge 42hr week, i am self employed, working p/t to enable me to do the mummy type stuff (help out with school / pre-school / do the afterschool care and school holiday care).
we are in receipt of child care subsidy and working for families tax credit - and we haven't reached top level tax rates yet.

re: health care, I have been massively impressed so far - my son had to have minor surgery - the GP was responsive, the specialist appt came through quickly as did the surgery, I could not fault the care provided or the follow up.

whilst i am not ignorant to the difficulties and I am all for the expression of all experiences including the negative ones I do feel that we are probably average joe and we are doing more than just existing - we have a good life and are happy to be happy clappers
Does your husband think the same ?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

brussel sprout, what has always amazed me over these past few years is why folks here will pay so much money for so much crap! Yes, I know they hoped to double their investment, but really some of the houses I've seen around Auckland for 500-700 grand, I wouldn't want if they were fifty grand! I've honestly never seen such drab quality anywhere else.

Last summer, my O/H and I were passing an open home and decided to have a look. It was a dull, dusty old place that looked like no-one had touched it since the sixties. It was depressing to be inside and the outside wasn't much good either. The price was $650,000! I honestly couldn't believe that anyone had so much cash to waste that they would filter it away on this rubbish!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

they won't be that much in a year's time , but the interest rate is now dropping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.