British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   3 years in and PR as a Trucker (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/3-years-pr-trucker-691886/)

Marika 38 Nov 2nd 2010 11:31 am

3 years in and PR as a Trucker

Hi all, well here we are, just as the title says,, we have been here in NZ just over 3 years now, and just at the end of August, we were granted PR, my husband is a Trucker and has been on a WTR Visa with Hooker Pacific. Odviously we are thrilled, as we know how hard it is for Truckers to get PR. We arn't the only ones its happened to, there are 4 that we know have got it through Hookers in the Mount, and more that have got it thorugh Hookers in Auckland, proving to all that it is possible.
Hookers are an Accredited Company that pay well, and as I said, both the Mount and Akl branches have been willing to go through the paperwork and do what is neccessary to help the drivers.

The reason I have not posted for so long, and gave more accounts of what we were going through, is my husband is a very Private Man, and it was his wish that I didn't post until we had our PR and had our passports back, with the all important stickers in. Bevs and my very good friend Am loolah asked me to do this update, as a success story (as in gaining PR ) from a trucker hasn't been done yet, and I hope it gives anyone reading it hope and determination that it can be done guys, and so we are more than happy to do this.

It has been an incredibly stressful time for hubby in Particular, as he has done all the paperwork himself, little help from me (he was just so good and efficient at it, I just seemed to muddle things!) he's had to do the shift work,, 12 hour days,, and put up with some things at work he really disagrees with, but its all done now,, he feels great relief, it was really just like they say,, the weight was lifted as soon as the email/phonecall came. Immigration were great with our case, it was moved through swiftly and efficiently. My daughter was in process of Applying for Uni, and had a deadline to meet, if the PR didn't come by that date, she was going to have to apply as an International Student, lessening her chances of Applying and getting a place as Domestic student as all those places may have been filled before her Application was in. BUT amazingly we got the notification about PR, before the deadline, couriered our passports to them and they got them back to us in time for Daughter to put in her Application with Verified copy of PR Sticker,,,phewwww, what a week it was.

Happy ending to that part of the story, she has just had her acceptance into Uni, with no interview, just by looking at her Portfolio, she will be studying a bachelor in Graphic Design, she is absolutely over the moon, its her dream come true.

We feel so fortunate that its happened for us, we know what a nightmare it can be for Truckers, we know some that have gone home, some that just can't get on the WTR, it really has been a lucky break for us, after a worrying start in NZ back in 07, when we were let down in first couple of days of being here by a recruitment company,, see previous posts for that story.

Bringing our kids over at age 14 and 15 has been fine for us,, they have both been great, my daughter seemed to instantly love it, still does, my son took longer to settle, but at no time ever mentioned going home, he just wasn't himself for couple of months, but he soon picked up after that unsettled period during first year, and now absolutely loves it here, he has motorbike, a job, plays lots of sports in school teams etc, has good friends, his next goal is trying to come to decision of what job/career he would like to go for when he finishes schooling in 2011.

I LOVE it here, am not saying I skip through each day blissfully happy as that is just impossible,,lol. I work part time at local school as Teacher Aide to some wonderful children, its something I have done for 13 years now altogether so feel quite happy in the roll and just love the little ones, they always make me smile. I have had my struggles and down times like everyone, but I have a lovely supportive family and wonderful friends that can always help me through anything that happens, and I always come back to the thought that I love where I live, I go off to the beach and my soul is soothed once more, its my dream come true to live close to the beach, its something I don't think I would ever have acheived where I came from In Cornwall. The move to NZ for me is exactly what I thought it would be, an ongoing adventure full of ups and downs,, but its 1 experience I am so thankful for, its our home now and our life and we, as a family have no regrets. We miss Cornwall and friends and family and if Money were no object am sure we would have been home for quick visit,, but we bought our home over a year ago now, so the money just isn't there to pop home, but we have had plenty of visits from Friends and family, so thats kept us going and of course we have the internet, Skype and facebook that keeps us having plenty of contact with lots of lovely people back in Cwll and other parts of the world.

We have all explored many parts of the North Island, we go off in the car on road trips or off on the motorbikes, we are constantly stunned by the scenery we see, and to find lovely empty beaches, and new towns, but we havn't even been to South Island yet, we just can't wait, as many tell us, the scenery is even more impressive, so its on our to do list, as soon as we can.

So thats our update, hope I havn't rabbited on too much,, cheers all, take care where ever you are. :thumbup:

Am Loolah Nov 3rd 2010 9:03 am

Re: 3 years in and PR as a Trucker

Thank you lovely!:wub:

I've moved your thread in to the main forum so more people wondering about truck driving as a possible route to PR may see it.:thumbup:

karron Nov 3rd 2010 7:16 pm

brilliant ! its great to hear of a success.

helinuk Nov 3rd 2010 7:36 pm

Great update Marika. Glad it's finally all worked out for you all. :thumbsup:
Helenx

crap coffee Nov 3rd 2010 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Marika 38 (Post 8956830)

So thats our update, hope I havn't rabbited on too much,, cheers all, take care where ever you are. :thumbup:

Hi good to see you are back. :D Glad you have finally settled. You sound so cheerful and happy on your update. and I bother saying hello to you, coz I think you are a lovely & warm person..:) as far as I remember..., though haven't read it all (your post) till the end coz I've been busy....(been doing psychometric test practice) since return from overseas. well starting my life again from scratch (I think!) am reasonably happy being in NZ (though not content...)

love to hear birds singin’ in the sycamore trees :lol: on a calm morning. can't help myself there are lots things love about this place (Welly) ;)

Best wishes and good luck :D

Jan n Neil Nov 4th 2010 3:02 am

Exellent :thumbsup:

P2L Nov 5th 2010 2:53 am

I love 'Happy ever after' endings especially when it looked like an almost impossible dream. ;)