3 Weeks In

Old May 1st 2007, 8:46 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up 3 Weeks In

Well, so far, so good!

I would say holiday mode is now being replaced by resident mode - which our Bank Manager would say is a good thing!

The dogs both arrived safely and I can not recommend Airpets highly enough. Yes, 2 Dobermans to NZ is bloody expensive, but they made it straightforward and stress free. I only ever dealt with the same one person from her response to my initial email enquiry, through to being met at their kennels by Heathrow. This is good service! The dogs were disorientated and a little wobbly. They also then suffered a little with change in diet, but they seemed ok by week 2. I was surprised by how long it took them to recover!

Our rental where he agreed to take 2 dogs and 4 kids is excellent. The landlord is lovely and although on the expensive side, we felt it well worth it to go the extra mile and reduce the stress by having fully equipped and furnished. We have since heard of other people paying more for less because they left it until the very last minute! We got ours through book a batch.

We have been house hunting, so far without success. We narrowly missed out on a potentially leaky home after we had done some additional homework. The agent didn't seem surprised when we explained why we weren't going to make an offer! Hmmm!!! So we shall keep looking. We took the rental for a minimum of 8 weeks with the possibility to extend.

The downside being the primary schools here are zoned and we don't want to start 8 year old at the one the rental is in and then have to move him again. So, thus far, kids not yet at school. And they are getting fed up?! They want to go. Not to work obviously, but to meet other kids!

I am at college this week and next and it's all good. The Kiwi's seem to get some of my "humour" although I am aware of the odd, nodding, forced laugh and "Que?!" look from them - but this is no different to the UK! To get to college I am using PUBLIC TRANSPORT!!!!! I'm sorry, but having spent the last 9 years in the wilderness (Cornwall) this is a source of great joy to me! Although, sadly I note the buses have no bar and no First Class?

Hubby is enjoying telling everyone that he's a Kiwi in his Brummy accent. Or saying "Wellington" when they ask where he's from! Boys eh?!

So, I could write loads more, but I meant to just quickly say, so far, it's going well and is quite straightforward!

Oh, and we have purchased the ugliest car on the planet, much to the kids disgust!!! I think it's funny, it's like going out in your Gran's van, if she drove a van!?
Old May 1st 2007, 8:53 pm
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of
Default Re: 3 Weeks In

sounds like youve hit the ground running really happy to hear all's going well, keep us posted
Old May 1st 2007, 8:53 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya, glad to hear alls well with you and you're all settling in ok
I never thought I'd hear of kids practically begging to go to school but seriously I suppose they just can't wait to get on and make friends in the area which is great. Enjoy your new life
Old May 1st 2007, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

cianan68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Well, so far, so good!

I would say holiday mode is now being replaced by resident mode - which our Bank Manager would say is a good thing!

The dogs both arrived safely and I can not recommend Airpets highly enough. Yes, 2 Dobermans to NZ is bloody expensive, but they made it straightforward and stress free. I only ever dealt with the same one person from her response to my initial email enquiry, through to being met at their kennels by Heathrow. This is good service! The dogs were disorientated and a little wobbly. They also then suffered a little with change in diet, but they seemed ok by week 2. I was surprised by how long it took them to recover!

Our rental where he agreed to take 2 dogs and 4 kids is excellent. The landlord is lovely and although on the expensive side, we felt it well worth it to go the extra mile and reduce the stress by having fully equipped and furnished. We have since heard of other people paying more for less because they left it until the very last minute! We got ours through book a batch.

We have been house hunting, so far without success. We narrowly missed out on a potentially leaky home after we had done some additional homework. The agent didn't seem surprised when we explained why we weren't going to make an offer! Hmmm!!! So we shall keep looking. We took the rental for a minimum of 8 weeks with the possibility to extend.

The downside being the primary schools here are zoned and we don't want to start 8 year old at the one the rental is in and then have to move him again. So, thus far, kids not yet at school. And they are getting fed up?! They want to go. Not to work obviously, but to meet other kids!

I am at college this week and next and it's all good. The Kiwi's seem to get some of my "humour" although I am aware of the odd, nodding, forced laugh and "Que?!" look from them - but this is no different to the UK! To get to college I am using PUBLIC TRANSPORT!!!!! I'm sorry, but having spent the last 9 years in the wilderness (Cornwall) this is a source of great joy to me! Although, sadly I note the buses have no bar and no First Class?

Hubby is enjoying telling everyone that he's a Kiwi in his Brummy accent. Or saying "Wellington" when they ask where he's from! Boys eh?!

So, I could write loads more, but I meant to just quickly say, so far, it's going well and is quite straightforward!

Oh, and we have purchased the ugliest car on the planet, much to the kids disgust!!! I think it's funny, it's like going out in your Gran's van, if she drove a van!?
Sounds like you are doing really well, where abouts in Kernow did you live? I'm from Truro, but have been in sunny Derbyshite for the last 10 years....
We are also coming with loads of kids, can you give me more details about who you got your rental through so I could start fishing about now?
Cheers!
Caroline
Old May 1st 2007, 8:55 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

yeh!! lovely to hear that you're settling in.
Old May 1st 2007, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Hi Am Loolaha,
This is a great posting. Lovely to hear it all going so well. Good luck with the house hunting. Send the Mount our best - this time last year we were sat on the top of it looking down Papamoa beach....I think it's a brilliant place.
Karma for house hunting!
Old May 1st 2007, 9:41 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Yay, keep us posted
Old May 1st 2007, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Congrats...good to hear you are getting settled!
Old May 1st 2007, 10:38 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey great to hear from you.
Really glad you're settling in well, do keep us posted and would love to see a pick of your 'granny wagon'
take care and keep us posted
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Am Loolah
glad you have settled in to kiwi life, we have been here since Dec 06 and like yourselves are renting in Papamoa, we began house sitting for friends in Royal palm blvd and drastically looking for a rental we had to have furnished as our container had not arrived not that we had much furniture as sold most of it. We tried to get our children a 12 nearly 13 girl and 8yr old boy into Bethlehem college as we have heard that it is the best school academicaly, they are on the waiting list. They both go to Tahatai Coast school in Evans Road at the moment which is a lovely school and they have both settled well. When we first found somewhere to rent we were on the beach which was great, we are now renting of Royal palm blvd. Yes the schools are zoned but if you like the one you are zoned for once they are in and if you move i don't think they will tell you to take the children out. They have made friends and settled so quickly and they both love it out here, there are many e mails and msn to friends in the uk especially my daughter. We have no regrets and love it out here it feels so right. We are doing the house hunting thing at the moment as it would be nice to unpack all the boxes. But there is no reall rush.
Enjoy life at least now you can relax a little more all the hard work of leaving the uk is done.
Welcome to NZ.
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:35 am
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

Good to hear things are going well. Do you think you may become one of us happy clappy tree huggers then.
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:36 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Caroline,
good luck with the house hunting, hope it alL goes OK - as it seems to have so far
KAREN B
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Hi Am Loolah ,
You mnetioned in your post that you booked you rental in advanced and said
"We got ours through book a batch"
What's that mean?
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:44 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Why does hubbie have a Brummie accent?
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Well, so far, so good!

Hi there AmLoolah

Glad you have settled in to Papmoa so well. My wife and I are out at Sterling Gate in Bethlhem and have been here for more then a year now. We love it and have really settled in to Tauranga life.
I am running a small business school in the CBD and carolyn is a ward manager at the main hospital. It seems like there a loads of people on here from the BOP area. We really should arrange a get together for everyone. It would be great tp put names to faces.
We bought our house here after spending 3 or 4 months in Auckland and we were both very lucky to find good jobs here right away. We are in the process of buying a second house as an investment - just like the real kiwis do it would seem.

Anyway...great to hear you are all settled in. All us Taurangan expats should meet up for some wine tasting soon. Before the winter makes us all hibernate!

Good luck with the house hunting

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.