British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   3 week stopover in NZ (North Island) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/3-week-stopover-nz-north-island-627089/)

Seacaptain Aug 23rd 2009 9:57 am

3 week stopover in NZ (North Island)

Hi,
Next year the OH & I are emigrating to Oz, but intend to have a 3 week stay in New Zealand on route, starting & finishing in Auckland, travelling around North Island by camper for 15 days.
Moving to Oz we can always do the South Island another time to fully appreciate it. We will be 40 by then and are interested in scenery, photography, sight seeing, walking and beaches (Even in Winter).
If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.
:D

Am Loolah Aug 23rd 2009 11:09 am

Re: 3 week stopover in NZ (North Island)

Originally Posted by Seacaptain (Post 7868417)
Hi,
Next year the OH & I are emigrating to Oz, but intend to have a 3 week stay in New Zealand on route, starting & finishing in Auckland, travelling around North Island by camper for 15 days.
Moving to Oz we can always do the South Island another time to fully appreciate it. We will be 40 by then and are interested in scenery, photography, sight seeing, walking and beaches (Even in Winter).

You'll have over shot your destination if you end up in NZ "en-route!":lol: We did 3 weeks campervan back in 2006 and it was the holiday of a lifetime. I was just looking at booking one for 2 weeks in the next school hols and doing the SI but other things going on clash with that plan.:(

The most relevant thing is that distances on a map will take you waaaaaay longer than you think to travel. We sadly didn't cover as much as we'd hoped and ended up chucking the itinerary on about day 4! Especially as we wanted to enjoy a day or two in the areas we did get to.

I'd definitely recommend you travel North from Auckland and try to see Paihai and the Bay of Islands, including a visit to the treaty house at Waitangi. We stayed in a lovely camp adjacent to the river and used their kayaks for a bit of an explore. Website here

Then heading back South we stayed at Orewa. From there we went to the Coromandel and stayed in Whitianga which Hubby loved. We then did Tauranga and the Mount (Mount Maunganui) where we now live!:thumbup: We stayed here. Then inland to Rotorua and Taupo - loads to do there.:thumbsup: We then raced down to Wellington to get the ferry to the SI to go to Kaikoura and see the whales. But if you're not doing that I'd suggest having a few days in Welly and then heading back up the West Coast.

HTH.

littleal Aug 24th 2009 5:45 am

Napier is good too. The weather is often finer on the east coast, and it has the Art Deco history (and wine).

JackandE Aug 25th 2009 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Seacaptain (Post 7868417)
Hi,

Hi your visit next year sounds good doing the camper style.....why not visit Gulf Harbour area plenty of islands to visit from our Harbour and the Discovery tours..would make a change from driving for a couple of days. Good walks also and some fantastic views.:)

chippy64 Aug 25th 2009 10:46 am

Go Zorbing in Rotorua - how much fun???!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Am Loolah Aug 25th 2009 10:54 am

Originally Posted by chippy64 (Post 7873351)
Go Zorbing in Rotorua - how much fun???!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's on my "list"!:thumbup: Can't wait!

We are looking at buying a bus and touring for a year. I've always wanted to do this and write about it. Finally got Hubby to agree but am now completely flummoxed about how I fit 4 kids, 2 dogs and "schooling" in to the plan? Have worked out the kids will all have ended their education in 10-12 years!:blink:

Seacaptain Aug 26th 2009 9:23 pm

Thanks Guys, We cannot wait, it will be nice to have a break before the big move and we have enjoyed previous campervan trips to Oz even when it was cold!:ohmy: will have to get the map and look over some of your suggestions, Do like the idea of Zorbing:lol: :thumbsup:

PatLiz Aug 27th 2009 1:33 am

We're doing this in October/November.

We get into Auckland, have 3/4 days rest, and have then booked a motorhome to travel around North Island for 15 days.

If you want, I could make a record of what we do/where we go etc and post it when I get back? We'll be travelling with an infant (1 year old whilst we're out there) so won't get to do LOADS of the more adventurous activities, but still hope to fit in zorbing and possibly a bit of kayaking, as we're both keen kayakers.

Seacaptain Aug 27th 2009 5:18 am

Originally Posted by PatLiz (Post 7878237)
We're doing this in October/November.

We get into Auckland, have 3/4 days rest, and have then booked a motorhome to travel around North Island for 15 days.

If you want, I could make a record of what we do/where we go etc and post it when I get back? We'll be travelling with an infant (1 year old whilst we're out there) so won't get to do LOADS of the more adventurous activities, but still hope to fit in zorbing and possibly a bit of kayaking, as we're both keen kayakers.

Hi PatLiz,
that would be great! we are both going through the Lonely Planet NZ book at the moment, but your experiences would be perfect, We will have a few days in Auckland ourselves before getting the camper for 2 weeks. Have a great trip and we look forward to hearing from you!

sr71 Aug 27th 2009 5:53 am

One of the nicest areas in the North Island is the East Cape. You can easily spend a few days driving from Opotiki (easy to get to after Rotorua) to Gisbourne following the coast. Te Kaha is probably one of the nicest campsites I have seen and it's worth spending a day or two here just relaxing. Stunning views from the East Cape lighthouse too. beautifual isolated beaches all along the way.

We stayed here with a 6 berth camper.
http://www.tekahaholidaypark.co.nz/index.html

If you like wine then there are some great areas to visit, particularly Martinborough and the Hawkes Bay.

Tongariro National Park is also worth seeing, if you like walking the Tongariro Crossing is meant to be one of the best 1-day walks in NZ (if not the world), and is a World Heritage site.

http://www.tongarirocrossing.org.nz

Tomsk Aug 27th 2009 7:39 am

Hi to all those of you planning Zorbing trips to Rotorua. Give us a yell when you're headed this way. I might not join you in the zorb experience (watched my children & some friends children do it...just watching them made me feel seasick :o), but I'll happily cheer you on, take (very amateur) photos and join you for a drink or 3 afterwards ;)

Am Loolah Aug 27th 2009 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Tomsk (Post 7878893)
Hi to all those of you planning Zorbing trips to Rotorua. Give us a yell when you're headed this way. I might not join you in the zorb experience (watched my children & some friends children do it...just watching them made me feel seasick :o), but I'll happily cheer you on, take (very amateur) photos and join you for a drink or 3 afterwards ;)

:thumbsup: I feel a Rotorua/Zorbing/Wine meet up coming on!:cool:

PatLiz Aug 27th 2009 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Tomsk (Post 7878893)

My friend here assures me that my DH and I won't miss out on the experience because we'll need to take it in turns as we'll have our 1 year old with us. Have you seen many parents zorbing, and what did they do with their kids??

Tomsk Aug 27th 2009 7:35 pm

Oh, yes, I've seen plenty of adults doing it...you'd not be the only ones by a very long mark, and I've been told that it's great fun :thumbup:

PatLiz Aug 27th 2009 8:22 pm

that's not entirely what I meant. I rather thought there would be adults there with children that couldn't go on in; and was wondering if they're alright to take it in turns zorbing/looking after the baby etc.