British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   3 Months... Is this a record? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/3-months-record-370613/)

Lenny the Lion Apr 30th 2006 5:21 am

3 Months... Is this a record?

My mate and his missus are going back to England after 3 months coz they have had enough......Is this a record?

Sally Apr 30th 2006 5:24 am

Re: 3 Months... Is this a record?

Originally Posted by Lenny the Lion
My mate and his missus are going back to England after 3 months coz they have had enough......Is this a record?

You hum it I'll play it

Lenny the Lion Apr 30th 2006 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
You hum it I'll play it

Are you on P :rolleyes:

Andrew Cross Apr 30th 2006 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
You hum it I'll play it

:D :D

Didn't i hear it on the radio this morning????

Seriously Lenny, i cant see why people would go back after only 3 months, its not really giving it a go is it? I know that sometimes i think about 'home' and i wouldn't say im 100% settled here yet, but its all new still, and we have been here for nearly 4 months. You think after all the dosh they must have forked out they would at least stay the 6 months. :confused:

Lenny the Lion Apr 30th 2006 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
:D :D

So 2x :D
What exactly does that mean?

kiwichild Apr 30th 2006 5:41 am

Don't know about a record but it certainly seems a bit premature. You can hardly say 3 months is giving a new country a fair shot. I'd say 12 months is a bit more realsitic. Moving to a new country is always going to mean adjustments and a bit of a battle before anything resembling 'settling in' eventuates.

Andrew Cross Apr 30th 2006 5:42 am

I found her reply amusing....record...hum it, play it....

Sally Apr 30th 2006 5:43 am

It's like a movie review rating. Better than :confused:

Sally Apr 30th 2006 5:45 am

Actually I'm sorry to hear about your mate. Did both want to go back?

Andrew Cross Apr 30th 2006 5:55 am

Its actually not a record, one guy in wellington apparently left after 2 hours, claiming the dept had sold him the wrong information on the job etc and wanting them to reimburse his fares etc home.....

kiwichild Apr 30th 2006 6:03 am

Its actually not a record, one guy in wellington apparently left after 2 hours, claiming the dept had sold him the wrong information on the job etc and wanting them to reimburse his fares etc home.....

Think I read that. I wonder if he really did go back so soon though. Seems to me anyone who flies halfway around the world, lands in a country then finds they been dudded on info etc would at least calm down, and spend a bit of time checking the place out before making a decision to fly straight back.

Andrew Cross Apr 30th 2006 6:05 am

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Think I read that. I wonder if he really did go back so soon though. Seems to me anyone who flies halfway around the world, lands in a country then finds they been dudded on info etc would at least calm down, and spend a bit of time checking the place out before making a decision to fly straight back.

Yeah, you'd think after you spend all that time and effort getting here they would at least give it a go....

Sly Apr 30th 2006 6:33 am

Yeah, you'd think after you spend all that time and effort getting here they would at least give it a go....

Well, nobody knows their individual circumstances and reasons for going back.
I have not been long here myself but I would be a liar if I had said it had not crossed my mind as well.

Andrew Cross Apr 30th 2006 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Sly
Well, nobody knows their individual circumstances and reasons for going back.
I have not been long here myself but I would be a liar if I had said it had not crossed my mind as well.

No, I agree...i have thought 'have i done the right thing' many times. I miss my family and friends very much. Saying that though, we spent a small fortune getting six of us to the other side of the world and Im going to give it my best shot....and i think that takes more than 3 months or so. Ive only just got a job and it will take awhile to get settled there too.

Lenny the Lion Apr 30th 2006 7:07 am

No, I agree...i have thought 'have i done the right thing' many times. I miss my family and friends very much. Saying that though, we spent a small fortune getting six of us to the other side of the world and Im going to give it my best shot....and i think that takes more than 3 months or so. Ive only just got a job and it will take awhile to get settled there too.

I like it here and dont want to go back but why would someone have to stay a year in a place that they clearly dont like just for the sake of appearing to give it a go!