Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

3 month notice period in uk job

3 month notice period in uk job

Old Jul 28th 2009, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

getmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud of
Default Re: 3 month notice period in uk job

just thought i'd update you

after the initial huff that my boss went into when i stood my ground, nothing has come of it.

he has been rather pleasant this week and has confirmed with my colleagues that I'll be leaving on said date.

no backlash from higher management

I can only think that he either had an attack of conscience or spoke to HR/management etc and realised that they couldn't force me to stay so what was the point!

Anyway, I hope it's all smooth and not the calm before the storm.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 9:07 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getmethere
just thought i'd update you

after the initial huff that my boss went into when i stood my ground, nothing has come of it.

he has been rather pleasant this week and has confirmed with my colleagues that I'll be leaving on said date.

no backlash from higher management

I can only think that he either had an attack of conscience or spoke to HR/management etc and realised that they couldn't force me to stay so what was the point!

Anyway, I hope it's all smooth and not the calm before the storm.
Sweet As!! He def is a turncoat!! but at least he's turned the right way now!!
good luck B x
Old Jul 29th 2009, 7:24 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnB
Sweet As!!
Are you sure you're still in the UK??
"Sweet as", "Easy", "Sweet", "No worries"...
I hear this all day long at work!!! And I work with kiwis only!!
Old Jul 29th 2009, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matewx
B's other half is a Kiwi..........
Old Jul 29th 2009, 10:18 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matewx
Still here in v wet!! UK old chap!!
Old Jul 29th 2009, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Hothouse is a jewel in the roughHothouse is a jewel in the roughHothouse is a jewel in the roughHothouse is a jewel in the rough

Hi there

I've just been given a similar problem where my company wants me sign a new contract with 2 months notice instead of the usual 1 month. I have so far managed to avoid signing it and HR hasn't caught up with me.

I think whatever happens, any company would be a bit sad to chase you to the ends of the earth and as for references, i have tracked down the majority of my old employers who have kindly given me references.

cheers
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

hey guys

i need some advice.

i've got a job in new zealand that want me to start asap. we have negotiated a start date for 2 months.

i've given my notice in at work in my current uk job and I have 3 months notice period. My boss said, yes it's 3 months but we should be able to let you leave after 2 months provided things are ok (ie new person hired etc).

so lately I had a meeting with my boss and he said yes, all on track for you to leave after 2 months! so I took this to mean all was ok for me to leave with only giving the 2 months notice (and not 3 months). Trouble is, never got this in writing.

now suddenly, i'm due to leave in 3 weeks time and he comes to me to say sorry, we need to re-negotiated your leaving date because new person can't start till 2 months time.

my question is - does anyone know where I stand legally?

what if i just walk out in 3 weeks time (while fully knowing I'm in breach of my orignial contract) but also knowing that my boss did lead me on to thinking I could leave early

oh what a mess - please help.

ps - i don't really want to leave on a bad note - it's not what I am like - plus I would hate to think my boss would get in contact with my new NZ employer and bad mouth me (although reference has already been given, but don't want to risk anything jeapardising my new NZ job).
Hi

It may all hinge on your actual position, if your position is of senior management then 3 months is not unusual to be written into a contract but in basic legal terms of employment law you are only required to give reasonable notice (but don't forget your contractual notice)

Reasonable notice is the tricky one, is there anybody else in your company who can do your job.

Is the position so highly skilled that to fill it would take a longer period of time?

But to simplify this if you decide to walk before the said 3 months they may well hold back on any salaries that you are due and you may have to fight for them, coupled with the fact if you wanted to be employed by them again it would be pretty unlikely they would offer you a job.

It is a tricky one and I myself was in a similar position when I gave my notice as I was also using up my holidays due to me but at the end of the day I simply told then that I was getting on the plane regardless, so it was really up to them how we parted company.

Good luck with it

Cheers
Old Jul 30th 2009, 1:25 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hothouse
Hi there

I've just been given a similar problem where my company wants me sign a new contract with 2 months notice instead of the usual 1 month. I have so far managed to avoid signing it and HR hasn't caught up with me.

I think whatever happens, any company would be a bit sad to chase you to the ends of the earth and as for references, i have tracked down the majority of my old employers who have kindly given me references.

cheers
In this climate, unless you have a job that is really in demand, and I assumke the notice period works both ways.....I'd sign up right now!....if you get laid off they have to pay you an extra month....and as has been said, if you do need to go quickly it's likely your employer won't chase you.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice

hey guys

i need some advice.

i've got a job in new zealand that want me to start asap. we have negotiated a start date for 2 months.

i've given my notice in at work in my current uk job and I have 3 months notice period. My boss said, yes it's 3 months but we should be able to let you leave after 2 months provided things are ok (ie new person hired etc).

so lately I had a meeting with my boss and he said yes, all on track for you to leave after 2 months! so I took this to mean all was ok for me to leave with only giving the 2 months notice (and not 3 months). Trouble is, never got this in writing.

now suddenly, i'm due to leave in 3 weeks time and he comes to me to say sorry, we need to re-negotiated your leaving date because new person can't start till 2 months time.

my question is - does anyone know where I stand legally?

what if i just walk out in 3 weeks time (while fully knowing I'm in breach of my orignial contract) but also knowing that my boss did lead me on to thinking I could leave early

oh what a mess - please help.

ps - i don't really want to leave on a bad note - it's not what I am like - plus I would hate to think my boss would get in contact with my new NZ employer and bad mouth me (although reference has already been given, but don't want to risk anything jeapardising my new NZ job).

What a nasty thing to do to you, really some peope have no idea do they the stress they cause with their actions... he's clearly thinking of himself here..it's stressfull enough for you and your family taking this huge step, moving to another part of the world not country.... well l agree with others pull a sicky...as you say you may have to anyway,(hope that's not the case though) and re the references, hmmmm personally l wouldn't worry as some have already said what does it matter once you're in NZ...thing to remember anyway is that no employer can give you a bad reference so l'm led to believe...besides on the positive side of all this you will be fine in your new employ...l for one wish you every happiness...sweetie go live your dream!!!