Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

3 million pounds enough to live in new Zealand?

3 million pounds enough to live in new Zealand?

Old Feb 10th 2017, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 million pounds enough to live in new Zealand?

Originally Posted by simonsi
Oh dear, how did a question on living off GBP3M in New Zealand become an argument about lifestyle vs age costs in Thailand???? Oh yes, its the internet Lol

Weird eh??
Old Feb 11th 2017, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
£2,000 = $3,400 So, if you want to sit around go nowhere do nothing and live a frugal life then that's probably enough.
However, I'm sure a millionaire like yourself is more into the finer things in life like fine wine, nice cars and exotic holidays so I don't think your £3m will last you very long.
Its just a wind up

Money is not the issue

Boredom gives it away

When you work hard and start making good money, the money looses value and the obtaining becomes the focus and motivation.

Admit there are differences in some flush it away with excessive luxuries and others live frugally (as often that's part of how they achieved it). But the underlying denominator is a motivation/fire in the belly to continue work.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Why are there so many assumptions that "millionaires" will somehow be more partial to First Growths, Equines at various states of bounce and Bovines of questionable temperaments?
Old Feb 18th 2017, 10:21 pm
Banned

andy1133 is an unknown quantity at this point

People make me laugh when they sneer at others who retire early. Is it jealousy?

I am in my 40s and could retire, but instead work 10 hours a week, on a lifestyle business. I have so much time but I fill that with awesome experiences. There are limitless things to spend your time on other than being a wage slave.

For instance, I have just spent 5 months hiking the Te Araroa trail in NZ, from Cape Reinga to Bluff. It was such a great experience and I didn't even spend $1000 per month!

This leads me on to money. You really don't need much to live happy and fulfilling life. Society pressures you into earning and consuming, but there are other ways.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy1133
People make me laugh when they sneer at others who retire early. Is it jealousy?

I am in my 40s and could retire, but instead work 10 hours a week, on a lifestyle business. I have so much time but I fill that with awesome experiences. There are limitless things to spend your time on other than being a wage slave.

For instance, I have just spent 5 months hiking the Te Araroa trail in NZ, from Cape Reinga to Bluff. It was such a great experience and I didn't even spend $1000 per month!

This leads me on to money. You really don't need much to live happy and fulfilling life. Society pressures you into earning and consuming, but there are other ways.
totally agree with you. I do not work, am quite a bit older than you (58) but I have a nice life on what is NOT a big nest egg by any means. I cut my cloth according and have a lovely lifestyle.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

You really don't need much to live happy and fulfilling life. Society pressures you into earning and consuming, but there are other ways.
I think it's good to take chances in life, when you can. My wife and I spent our respective savings on budget travel in our mid-20s; then we had to replenish the bank accounts, and retired in our early 30s. That didn't last long, and we had to go back to work; then retired again several years later. Another couple of years off, then more work; then retirement for me (not for her!); then another couple of years working; then a forced retirement for me (still not for her, though); and eventually permanent retirement in our 70s, with a bit of part-time work on the side.

Not everybody finds it easy to shift around like that, and it doesn't suit everybody; and, it helps if you're lucky. But there's a lot to be said in favour of taking a gamble once in a while.

Of course you don't end up as rich as you could have been. I once read about some elderly English woman who recalled that her husband's boastful ambition had been to spend his old age on a 70-foot boat with a 17-year-old. "Hah", she said, "The best he's been able to manage is a 17-foot boat with a 70-year old!" Well, you have to settle for what you can get, don't you?
Old Feb 19th 2017, 8:49 am
Banned

andy1133 is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the concept of mini-retirements, work for a few years then have a year off. Rinse and repeat! Not going to be for everyone though.

The biggest factor for me when choosing leisure over work was a member of my family working incredibly hard all his life, and very successfully so as a CEO of a big company, and then dropping dead just before his retirement.

I was only young at the time but remember sharing in his exciting plans for retirement, which tragically never materialised.

There is something to be said for being adventurous when you are young and fit enough to enjoy it (or even do it!), because you never know what might happen when you are older.

Last edited by andy1133; Feb 19th 2017 at 8:52 am.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Well played. What's a tonne of money when one no longer has the health to enjoy it?

I'm a little bit older than you are, but very much on the same page. Spent my last 20-25 years slogging and have taken a deliberate decision to slow down and I've even begun to turn away business opportunities that I would have jumped on in a heartbeat just 5 years ago.

We are luckier than most, we have a steady (albeit modest) passive income stream derived primarily from our investment properties' rental returns and a sizeable retirement pension (annuity, actually, since it's a private pension) - and we live modest lives (although I must confess there's a Porsche itch I've been trying hard not to scratch).

So, coming back to the question: yes, I reckon 3 million quid would be more than enough to live in NZ, or most any other place of your choosing. Good luck mate.

A mate of mine put it very succinctly when he said "there are no cabinets in coffins" - can't take a penny with me when it's time to pop one's clogs eh.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It would be but you can't get a visa to go there !
Old Feb 20th 2017, 7:50 am
Just Joined

jolder is an unknown quantity at this point

Fascinating thread.

I think it's great that you can afford to retire in your mid 30's. Good for you, what a dream situation. I'm in my early 40's and nowhere near from retiring.

Can I ask what sort of business you are in and how you got to this position? I'm forever thinking of business idea's.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 7:51 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Would love to hear about your experiences on the trail - do you have a blog please? If not I for one would love to hear what your highlights were.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 11:36 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still looking for a post where someone has sneered at the thought of retiring early.