Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

3 great thing and 3 crap ones about NZ?

3 great thing and 3 crap ones about NZ?

Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:42 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 great thing and 3 crap ones about NZ?

Just throwing my little observation in. When I visited NZ at Christmas my impression of the fruit and veg in the supermarket is that it was bigger and looked lusher, but there wasn't the same range. I don't see why this would be a problem though. Why would you expect Auckland to have a better range than London? NZers can get all the food they need with some variety. In fact I suppose if you really wanted variety you could visit one of the Chinese supermarkets as well. For the record, I shop in a medium size Waitrose in the UK.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

3 great:-

S P A C E

Opportunity & potential

A long way from the EU and Middle East.

3 bad:-

Rugby

rugby league

and something called 'sevens'.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:01 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janek

3 bad:-

Rugby

rugby league

and something called 'sevens'.

Yeah I'm with you sister! Except they have football in the UK which for me is worse. Rugby players are spunkier! Love to see a bunch of guys cuddling, ooops I mean a scrum!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

AH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the rough

jmh. I don't shop at Waitrose but I have heard that they are good. There doesn't seem to be that many of them around though, compared with Sainsbury's, Tesco and ASDA. Regarding the range, I like all the different types of apple in NZ compared to the UK. I like the new varieties that NZ has much more than the traditional varieties that you get in the UK. I also like the more exotic fruit varieties that seem to be hard to come by in the UK such as yellow kiwifruit, tamorillows and Fiejoas. Also like pumpkins, but they don't eat them in the UK, why don't they eat pumpkin in the UK?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AH30
jmh. I don't shop at Waitrose but I have heard that they are good. There doesn't seem to be that many of them around though, compared with Sainsbury's, Tesco and ASDA. Regarding the range, I like all the different types of apple in NZ compared to the UK. I like the new varieties that NZ has much more than the traditional varieties that you get in the UK. I also like the more exotic fruit varieties that seem to be hard to come by in the UK such as yellow kiwifruit, tamorillows and Fiejoas. Also like pumpkins, but they don't eat them in the UK, why don't they eat pumpkin in the UK?
I did try pumpkin in the UK. Once. It was very watery, bought it from a West Indian grocer, maybe West Indians have a different way of cooking it, I was not impressed so never spent money on it again, but they are also used for making lanterns.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:31 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Hi AH30. I get all of those foods in my local supermarket, although not every single week - they are generally sold in season. Pumpkins are generally sold for Halloween and Brits are not used to the idea of eating them. You can get Butternut straight from NZ!! My dad's main complaint with NZ produce (he is a born and bred kiwi) is that there isn't the range of potatoes! Not a priority for everyone I should imagine. To me a potato is a potato. Why do you need different ones.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:33 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

One thing I tried in NZ which I have not seen here is the Nashi pear. Do they still do them there?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

AH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the rough

jmh. I have on rare occasions seen the golden kiwifruit but I have never seen tamerillos or Fiejoa's in the UK, are you sure you've seen these. And yes, Nashi pears are another fruit that I love that you can't get here. Regarding potato's, I hardly ever eat them.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:51 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Tamarillos are available often, possibly because they are grown in a lot of other countries, but I only saw feijoas on sale once last year sometime. I should imagine most Brits wouldn't know what to do with one.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Pumpkin is good for making soup, it's also fantastic with roast beef or roast lamb, this is probably my favourite way of eating them. Can't see a good reason why pumpkins should not be eaten.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:54 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AH30
Pumpkin is good for making soup, it's also fantastic with roast beef or roast lamb, this is probably my favourite way of eating them. Can't see a good reason why pumpkins should not be eaten.
My favourite way of eating pumpkin is roasted with the potatoes. Yum yum. Yes the Brits really don't know what they are missing. I guess roast parsnips do as well
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:27 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jmh
My favourite way of eating pumpkin is roasted with the potatoes. Yum yum. Yes the Brits really don't know what they are missing. I guess roast parsnips do as well
Oh yes I love Roast Pumpkin, um now I'm hungry
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:43 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

If you are talking NZ specific foods missing or very rare in Uk supermarkets you would have to add whitebait, yams, taro, blue cod, paua, venison, bluff oysters, boysenberries, red kumara, hot smoked salmon and marinated mussels.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:45 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by southerner
If you are talking NZ specific foods missing or very rare in Uk supermarkets you would have to add whitebait, yams, taro, blue cod, paua, venison, bluff oysters, boysenberries, red kumara, hot smoked salmon and marinated mussels.
What do you do with taro?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:46 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by southerner
Actually you can buy Venison in Waitrose a English supermarket, things missing to buy in New Zealand is Pigeon, Rabbit, Pheasant and any game, I believe you have to go and hunt it yourselves and i miss not being able to buy it do you know of anywhere that you can Btw????

but having said that I think NZ as more of a choice of lovely veg, meat and fish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.