Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

3 great thing and 3 crap ones about NZ?

3 great thing and 3 crap ones about NZ?

Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 great thing and 3 crap ones about NZ?

Originally Posted by sr71
That's so true it's painful to laugh at it...
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Out of the 20+ staff we dealt with only 2 were British, but that is beside the point if their standards are up to a good level. They weren't and neither was their treatment of my wife or baby, who had shoulder dystocia after a long labour and had to be resuscitated.

Clearly none of you have had experience of inner London hospitals.
sr71, I'm sorry to hear that your wife had a shoulder dystocia at your child's birth. This is a very frightening situation for ALL concerned, it's probably THE obstetric emergency that all midwives & obstetricians dread.

However, although we can try & predict a shoulder dystocia, ie. large baby or a delayed second stage, obstetrics is not an exact science. The majority of the women I prepared in labour with a large baby on board did not go on to have a shoulder dystocia. Most occurred as a "surprise" when the baby's head started to 'turtle'. The midwife(&team) have then got approx 8mins to get baby out. It is not unusual for the baby to need resuscitating post-delivery.

I cannot comment on your individual case but I appreciate that it will have been traumatic for you. I hope your child is well & hasn't had any lasting effects.

My views come from my own observations & those of others (British & Kiwi) who have worked in both systems in different locations in both countries.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
This is most unseemly. You guys are arguing like girls...
Oooooo, is there hair pulling & scratching
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

AH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the rough

Quote: "The UK supermarkets may have the market stitched up and their suppliers by the short and curlies but they do provide choice that is wider than most of the rest of the world (don't take my word for it check out the experts who discuss these things on, erm real radio, you know Radio4, not NZ National - wait a minute, much of the programming there is re-cycled from the BBC, so you might catch that......just like many of the newspaper articles.....) - I digress...."

I don't know what the radio says, I can only tell you my own experience of having lived 25 years in NZ and 5 years in the UK. The UK does actually have very good choice and quality if you know where to go but in my experience your Sainsbury's, Tesco's, Co-op's and Asda's on the high street offer less choice than NZ supermarkets. To get better quality you need to go further afield, especially when it comes to fresh food such as meat.

I don't want to sound like I cannot accept criticism of NZ, but this in my view is quite contrary to my experience.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:59 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Oooooo, is there hair pulling & scratching
Not yet, only manbag flinging and flouncing ...

Let's play nicely now or you'll leave me no choice but to commence slapping with a wet kipper - form an orderly queue ...
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:40 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

It's kind of what I'm trying to say but people won't open their blinkered eyes. Sophistication is down to the individual and is a very subjective term.

You can't blanketly say somewhere like France or Italy is more sophisticated than anywhere else. I've worked in Belgium and France and they are definitely not sophisticated once you get to know them.

And how ironic that someone with a brummy accent is complaining about lack of sophistication.
errrrm, has anyone ever accused the Belgium's of being sophisticated???
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
that is a nice one

/extends a "girly" hand for a shake/.......

no hard feelings?
Handshake returned. And no hard feelings, always good to have a spirited discussion..

Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

englishheaven will become famous soon enoughenglishheaven will become famous soon enough

Was my entry censored? Go on admit it you were all thinking the same as me.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:43 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Lardyl, if you're going to travel to Albany to shop you might as well come over to Butcher Jack's (corner of Wairua and Glenfield Roads) for your meat. He does great sausages and he's cheaper than the supermarket and the meat is great quality.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
sr71, I'm sorry to hear that your wife had a shoulder dystocia at your child's birth. This is a very frightening situation for ALL concerned, it's probably THE obstetric emergency that all midwives & obstetricians dread.

However, although we can try & predict a shoulder dystocia, ie. large baby or a delayed second stage, obstetrics is not an exact science.
Well I don't hold any of the medical staff responsible for causing it, it's one of those things that happens I suppose, but all is well and his 2nd APGAR score was good but I must admit it made us really nervous parents for the first few months.

What really annoyed us was the treatment we received and the bedside manner from a lot of the staff. I'll be blunt and say that the African nurses that were there were quite horrible human beings - I really don't know how or why they ended up in nursing. A large proportion of the hospital is pretty much Victorian and decrepit, just to add to the ambiance. Muslims also don't have the best bedside manner and probably 75% of the patients and staff fit into this category.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:00 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

my 3's are

1 } Shit housing
2 } Shit wages :curse:
3 } Almost all the people I've ever come across in 'rural' NZ are living in the 1890's

1} Better weather (well I did come from Wales)
2} Opportunities
3} big volcanos that sometimes go BANG
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
my 3's are

1 } Shit housing
2 } Shit wages :curse:
3 } Almost all the people I've ever come across in 'rural' NZ are living in the 1890's

1} Better weather (well I did come from Wales)
2} Opportunities
3} big volcanos that sometimes go BANG

I was really hurt by your number 3 (crap things) until I read number 1 (great things) and then I felt sorry for you.

please don't take that seriously, it's a joke....true
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I don't really think anyone can say that that the NZ supermarkets offer more choice than the likes of Asda, Tesco abnd others in the UK. The UK supermarkets are some of the best in the world.

The thing is that folks are the sum total of their experiences, and when they come to NZ most have had experience of other larger and better choices. Therefore, it's not 'fussy' to compare as we do. And, once you've experienced something you can't 'unfussy' yourself. Compare you will - that's natural. We'll compare supermarkets, house construction, etc. Perhaps one of the reasons there is less choice here in groceries and foods is because there has been less immigration from Europe and less Italians, Greeks and Germans who have brought such colour and diversity of foods and delis to Oz. Has anyone visited the Ri Store in Perth? That place (if it's still there) was going strong years ago in Perth. A great deli with loads of delicious food. I still haven't found anything quite like it anywhere in NZ.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

AH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the rough

Whitesand. I still maintain that the likes of Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury's fall behind their NZ counterparts when it comes to fresh food such as meat and fruit/veges both in terms of the selection and the quality.

Does the UK has the best supermarkets in the world? Says who?

I find the supermarkets in the UK to be different to NZ in that in the UK more of the work has been done for you and more of the food is ready to eat as it is bought. Perhaps coming from the UK your expectations are different. Eg, ready meals seem to be very popular in the UK, most supermarkets have several aisles of these. I don't like to eat these too often because they are very unhealthy. UK supermarkets also seem to be heavily in favour of ready-made and highly processes foods such as cakes and biscuits, pre-made sandwiches and even the salads have been made for you, you don't need to make your own. All this may be very well if you're too lazy to cook your own meals, but for quality I'd rather make my own meals.

Having said that not all UK supermarkets are bad, there's a really good one called Wholefoods which sells anything and everything. But there aren't that many stores, I only know of one of these.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:14 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AH30

Having said that not all UK supermarkets are bad, there's a really good one called Wholefoods which sells anything and everything. But there aren't that many stores, I only know of one of these.
Whole Foods is an unsophisticated American supermarket, that is exploring the UK market. Probably bad timing though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.