Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

3 great thing and 3 crap ones about NZ?

3 great thing and 3 crap ones about NZ?

Old May 20th 2009, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 great thing and 3 crap ones about NZ?

Originally Posted by whitesand
We're all talking about the NZ and UK supermarkets, but the French ones, now that's something else! Want to see great bread, cakes and pastries, fab meats, fish, cheese - go French! Oh, if only I could have real French bread every day!
Agreed, but usually zero ready meals.
Old May 20th 2009, 7:58 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
and you do know how long it takes to prepare a crispy duck for home cooking?
Yes! we did it a few months back was great though! Only thing was we had a big problem finding pancakes!

but the French ones, now that's something else!
Now you're talking!! and the French markets!!!
Old May 20th 2009, 11:53 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

and you do know how long it takes to prepare a crispy duck for home cooking?
Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Yes! we did it a few months back was great though!

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 25th 2012 at 3:20 am.
Old May 21st 2009, 1:13 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

sorry

It's odd, though, as I eat chicken but don't see my chooks in the garden as in any way similar to the chooks in the butcher. As far as I'm concerned they are two totally separate things. So there's no way I'd eat your ducks, Bevs.
Old May 21st 2009, 1:22 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
sorry

It's odd, though, as I eat chicken but don't see my chooks in the garden as in any way similar to the chooks in the butcher. As far as I'm concerned they are two totally separate things. So there's no way I'd eat your ducks, Bevs.
Actually, I have a dead duck in my freezer right now. The neighbour shot it last weekend . Not sure if I will be able to eat it yet. I'm trying not to be a woosie and reminding myself I was never introduced or made friends with this duck.

Sshh ! Don't tell me Boo and Woo.
Old May 21st 2009, 2:16 am
A land far far away

well I've still got Boris in the freezer and can't eat him - I have a veggie dinner when he comes out!
Old May 21st 2009, 2:58 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

and you do know how long it takes to prepare a crispy duck for home cooking?.....
About three hours. Have not tried crispy duck chinese style, but did one french style last weekend courtesy of Jamie Oliver's instructions, and it was very nice. Remarkably simple once you've dealt to the head and feet, if somewhat messy on the oven.
Old May 21st 2009, 3:01 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - I should clarify that the messy oven was due to the excess fat that ducks seem to have, nothing to do with the head and feet.
Old May 21st 2009, 3:13 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
On recent visits I have found the choice in UK supermarkets amazing. Agree with the above that those "take-away" meals are great - a good compromise between cooking and buying a real take away. I would get fat and lazy if they were available here. I used to love the Jambalaya from Sainsbury.

But, I also like the Orewa New World. The meat and fish are always fresh and tasty. I can get a really good piece of beef eye fillet for wife and me for less than $10; fish for four (our staple Saturday tea) is about $7-8; $10 gets a very drinkable (to ny cheap tastes) bottle of wine. I guess I'm just easily pleased!

PS - couldn't care less about the GE-free, organic hippy food but I do insist on free-range eggs
I love it too. For a treat I prefer the butcher's block in Silverdale for some of the counter meats and the little bakery there for cakes, yum-yum :-)
Only things I will get from Foodtown in whanga' are the cartons of juice (Own Brand), big bottles of cordial and the cubed lamb for lamb curry (hardly ever any in NW). Rest in NW all the way! Even the plonk.
Oh yeah I also raid the scones when they are on special at N/W (4 for 2 bucks!) as they freeze well and when defrosted in the microwave they are nice with thickened cream and raspberry jam. A taste of "home".......
Old May 21st 2009, 3:14 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
About three hours. Have not tried crispy duck chinese style, but did one french style last weekend courtesy of Jamie Oliver's instructions, and it was very nice. Remarkably simple once you've dealt to the head and feet, if somewhat messy on the oven.
sorry thought you meant chinese style which is usually hung for a day......or so.....