Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The 3-city comparison thread (without mentioning the weather!)

The 3-city comparison thread (without mentioning the weather!)

Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:44 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 3-city comparison thread (without mentioning the weather!)

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Do you visit places now that you once thought were really scruffy and shabby and think 'mmm, its seems quite nice here now, I wonder what made me think this was a scabby, scruffy, dirty little town?'.
Yes lol I do that a lot and am more appreciative of the villas etc now too. It takes time to love a country and I was getting there with NZ
Old Jan 9th 2007, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Do you visit places now that you once thought were really scruffy and shabby and think 'mmm, its seems quite nice here now, I wonder what made me think this was a scabby, scruffy, dirty little town?'.
That's the point when you know you've been there too long!
Old Jan 9th 2007, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

Maz,

Of the three I liked Wellington the best - if you want to feel like you're in anything remotely like a city, that's the one to choose in my opinion. I suppose it depends where you have lived previously as to what you expect from a city (yes I know you're in Chicago suburbs now). I lived in London for years and loved (love, love, love still) it so my expectations of a city are probably quite high. Wellington has an element of sophistication about it - the others do not. In my opinion.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 1:12 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there

Well, just thought I'd add my two cents/pence worth in. Although, to be honest I don't have a definitive answer! I lived in the North Shore of Auckland. I loved it, I was close enough to the city to enjoy the benefits (good healthcare, 24 supermarkets, nights out, etc), but far away enough to feel like I wasn't living in a city. There are some lovely suburbs there, lovely people (mostly English and South African), and some gorgeous beaches. Auckland itself, I would describe as a souless city. It doesn't really have any character. There's tons of traffic lights, loads of lemmings trying to cross the road and people are less then curteous on the roads. The traffic in Auckland will make you want to light a cigarette (even if you don't smoke!), and the boy-racers are a sight to behold! Surprised no one mentioned that. Young, rich boys in their Suburus, lots of dazzling lights, making far too much noise, crusing through the city on Sunday nights. Bit of a nightmare really. And in the evenings, doughnuts and brakes can often be heard all around Auckland. I also lived just outside of Christchurch when I worked at Mt Hutt. Oops, hard not to mention the weather! Its not a bad old place, had some good nights out there. And if you like skiing, its a good place to be. Plus in general the SI is more beautiful and the people really are more friendly. Finally, good old Welly, home of the beehive. Not too impressed, just like any other city in the world, but hubby is looking at jobs there as well because there's some good money floating around them parts. Plus, its a hop, skip and a jump away from the SI.

Why didn't you include Nelson? That's a popular city as well, really very nice.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Littletoe

Why didn't you include Nelson? That's a popular city as well, really very nice.
And why didn't she include Hamilton? It's not a popular city, nor really very nice but...Surely that shouldn't be held against it?

(Can't decide which smiley shows mild sarcasm hopefully masquerading as wit best.)
Old Jan 9th 2007, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all

Originally Posted by xpat19
.... It has a much more English feel to it. Public transport is loads beter and very frequent...
Surely that is a contradiction in terms!!!
Old Jan 9th 2007, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DiffordA
Surely that is a contradiction in terms!!!
Old Jan 9th 2007, 3:03 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I figured I'd just stick with the 3 major ones as if you start including Nelson and Hamilton, then someone else will add Napier/Hastings, Tauranga, Rotorua, Taupo, Queenstown, Dunedin etc. etc.

Great responses so far, thank you, and keep 'em coming!
Old Jan 9th 2007, 4:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Maz
I figured I'd just stick with the 3 major ones as if you start including Nelson and Hamilton, then someone else will add Napier/Hastings, Tauranga, Rotorua, Taupo, Queenstown, Dunedin etc. etc.

Great responses so far, thank you, and keep 'em coming!
Don't let any Hamiltonians hear you say they are not 'major'! It's the fourth largest city, you know! They're very proud of that. But I see your point.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

Maz, are balloons especially mad?
Old Jan 9th 2007, 5:07 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
Maz, are balloons especially mad?
LOL! It's part of a quote from one of my fave films, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Arthur said to Ford, about Trillian: "She was amazing though, Ford. Beautiful, witty, mad as a balloon." So while it would be awfully immodest and presumptuous of me to assume the first two, I can definitely say I'm mad as a balloon.