British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   The 3-city comparison thread (without mentioning the weather!) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/3-city-comparison-thread-without-mentioning-weather-417558/)

Maz Jan 8th 2007 1:33 pm

The 3-city comparison thread (without mentioning the weather!)

OK... I think I've heard enough about the NZ weather to last me a lifetime :D

What I'm looking to achieve with this thread is a comprehensive, objective collection of differences and similarities between the 3 largest cities in NZ, ie. Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. Example: public transport available, strength of the 'cafe society', nightlife, eating out, distance between major attractions / areas of the city, general attitudes (be nice) from the locals, societal make-up of the city, etc. That kind of thing. :)

Anyone been to all 3? Who'd like to kick this one off? :)

dreamfish Jan 8th 2007 4:03 pm

Re: The 3-city comparison thread (without mentioning the weather!)

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4260148)
OK... I think I've heard enough about the NZ weather to last me a lifetime :D

What I'm looking to achieve with this thread is a comprehensive, objective collection of differences and similarities between the 3 largest cities in NZ, ie. Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. Example: public transport available, strength of the 'cafe society', nightlife, eating out, distance between major attractions / areas of the city, general attitudes (be nice) from the locals, societal make-up of the city, etc. That kind of thing. :)

Anyone been to all 3? Who'd like to kick this one off? :)

I have read somewhere today that the south island is a lot friendlier. So you cant escape the north/south divide wherever you go it appears.!!

Buzzy--Bee Jan 8th 2007 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 4260499)
I have read somewhere today that the south island is a lot friendlier. So you cant escape the north/south divide wherever you go it appears.!!

For me, Wellington is the only one that feels like a city. Christchurch feels like a large country town, in a Tunbridge Wells type way, and Auckland feels like loads of suburbs nailed together with roads.

If I lived in an NZ city again I would live in Wellington.

:beer:

Buzzy

Maz Jan 8th 2007 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 4260941)
For me, Wellington is the only one that feels like a city. Christchurch feels like a large country town, in a Tunbridge Wells type way, and Auckland feels like loads of suburbs nailed together with roads.

If I lived in an NZ city again I would live in Wellington.

Buzzy

I've read many many times that Auckland is the "sprawling metropolis" of the three. That's what I live in right now, so am desperate to get away! We don't have any open space around us anymore, if you discount our subdivision's large pond at the back of our house. ;)

I've read that Wellington is the "cultural" one of the three, but was wondering if someone could expand on which type(s) of culture. :)

Buzzy--Bee Jan 8th 2007 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4260996)
I've read many many times that Auckland is the "sprawling metropolis" of the three. That's what I live in right now, so am desperate to get away! We don't have any open space around us anymore, if you discount our subdivision's large pond at the back of our house. ;)

I've read that Wellington is the "cultural" one of the three, but was wondering if someone could expand on which type(s) of culture. :)

Wellington has quite a lot of things like fringe theatre and alternative comedy.

Auckland is not a sprawling metropolis like we in the UK know it - it is still mostly single storey detached houses, just it doesn't feel like a city.

Buzzy

hubbard Jan 8th 2007 8:00 pm

I vote Wellington too. It really is an attractive city with the harbour and the mountains. It has some attractive 'old' buildings, more upmarket shops - not completely given into the 'mall culture', and it has some public transport. If we had to live in NZ we'd opt for Wellington too. We lived in Auckland and thought it distinctly average.

xpat19 Jan 8th 2007 8:02 pm

We lived in West Auckland for 5 year and loved it. Lots of open spaces, fab restaurants and West coast beaches. It has it's own culture, with art galleries and local theatres etc also easy to get into the ity ( outside of rush hour ) for the big name stuff.

We've now moved to Christchurch for work and have been here 5 weeks. It has a much more English feel to it. Public transport is loads beter and very frequent, there's less traffic on the roads, and the city and outer areas seem to have a lot to offer in the way of entertainment and restaurants.

Can't say I prefer one over the other as they are so different, have only been to Wellington for a weekend so can't comment too much on that but thought it seemed a very energetic thriving place.

Batty Jan 8th 2007 8:12 pm

One of the most disconcerting things for us when we got here was that we couldn't drive 'through' Auckland. You know, a place where the city starts and ends? It just seemed to go on for ever. But, it doesn't really feel like a city (well, not as I know them anyway). The only time I feel like I'm anywhere remotely city like is if I'm in Queen Street. You know Auckland is broken up into four 'cities'? Well don't go looking for them - you won't actually find the 'city' :D Apart from 'Auckland city' itself.

On the Shore, Takapuna has the council offices so that's basically the 'city centre' for want of a better word. We went looking for Waitakere 'city' on Sunday - we saw a signpost for Waitakere Township so thought that must be it!! hahaha - it was one road - about 300m long - with a kindy, firestation, superette and a........ dead end! ROFL We were in stitches!

We're so close to the CBD - it takes about 15 minutes to get there off peak - and yet sitting on our deck we might as well be out in the sticks.

We don't actually go out very much at night - we never did so that doesn't change! BUT, there always seems to be something advertised. Shows, concerts, exhibitions - if you like the races (horses) there's Ellerslie racecourse and Alexandra Park has trotting (that's cool). Lots of free concerts in different parks etc during the summer. One thing I do want to see this year is 'Shakespeare in the Park' which is held over Takapuna way (I think).

Public transport is not bad. I can't say it's brilliant (integrated tickets between the different companies would be good) but I'm never stuck for getting somewhere (I don't drive). Buses were free on Christmas Day!!

Cafes - loads of them, and mostly very good. Eating out is fairly cheap really and we do do that quite a bit.

Real Aucklanders (and I haven't met that many:D - most people seem to be from somewhere else) are a mixed bag. Some of the ones I work with are up themselves but that could be more down to the industry I work in and the money they've got than anything else. All the Maori and Islanders I've met are just lovely - easy to talk to and I love their sense of humour.

I saw my first gang member on Sunday! We've been here since June 2005 and I'd never seen one before - there were two of them on motorbikes in front of us when we were out driving. That's as close as most people will ever get to them and to be honest they both looked like they were on the wrong side of 50 and were driving very sedately too. LOL

Mr Batty says that one day we'll 'live in New Zealand' because he thinks Auckland is NOT New Zealand and we sometimes watch Southland TV and I can see exactly what he means! Sorry I can't compare to the other cities as I don't know very much about them at all.

Jude J Jan 8th 2007 8:18 pm

I cant help really as I have only seen Christchurch for a few hours (loved it though, but maybe because I was a newbie and it reminded me of English towns?) Never been to Wellington so can only comment on Auckland.

No comment on public transport as I dont really use it, only used the busses into the city on a few occasions and they were fine, on time and clean etc.

Lovely restaurants and bars on the Viaduct, plenty of choice and whenever I've been there has been a lovely atmosphere. Seen a few quality street entertainers there too, ones that are supposed to be there that is!

Been to a couple of dance clubs, both were good. Nice chill out areas and no hint of trouble. Mind you, I dont do K Road, (which is a road with lots of clubs)no reason other than its too busy for me and I dont like crowds, but if there is going to be trouble I think that's where it would be. Just guessing though!

I love walking round the city at night in the summer. Seeing the sky tower lit up in different colours can be more magical than it sounds, maybe the excellent wine helps!

You are never far from a beautiful, safe beach!

I love the Auckland Museum but Wellington has the best museum whose name escapes me right now, Te atatu or something. Not that I've been there, but I've heard it is fantastic.

I have been to one art gallery in the city, not world class or anything (and art galleries are my thing, I go to one everytime I visit a new city) but its OK for a browse round on a rainy afternoon and has a lovely cafe!

I obviously love the suburb I live in! I am right next to a small reserve (which is a park that will always be a park, no building on it!) and am a 10 minute walk from the nearest beach. We have endless coffee shops here and a few decent individual type shops.

I'm going to stop now and come back when other people have written some :)

Jude J Jan 8th 2007 8:27 pm

Oh well done Batty, I forgot about the free stuff in the parks :)
We've been to a Jazz concert during the day, took the older kids (no baby back then) and they enjoyed it too. Sitting about on the grass, totally relaxing (or laxed out, as my daughter says) eating a picnic and supping a cold beer listening to the music.
Also been to one at night, they have a lazer light show and fireworks at the end. If I remember rightly, there was a bit of a fun fair set up as well.

Batty, you are right about Shakespear in the park, it is at The Pumphouse near the lake in Takapuna, what a fantastic location! Much Ado is on until 10th Feb. I am looking at going later in Feb with my sister when she is here but dont know what is on yet.

Buzzy--Bee Jan 8th 2007 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jude J (Post 4261298)
I love the Auckland Museum but Wellington has the best museum whose name escapes me right now, Te atatu or something. Not that I've been there, but I've heard it is fantastic.

Te Papa

The best National Museum I have seen in the world.

Buzzy

Jude J Jan 8th 2007 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 4261397)
Te Papa

The best National Museum I have seen in the world.

Buzzy

Thanks! I think the name I gave is a road here somewhere :o
I have heard the same, really would love to go one day.

Bo-Jangles Jan 9th 2007 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Batty (Post 4261278)
One of the most disconcerting things for us when we got here was that we couldn't drive 'through' Auckland. You know, a place where the city starts and ends? It just seemed to go on for ever. But, it doesn't really feel like a city (well, not as I know them anyway). The only time I feel like I'm anywhere remotely city like is if I'm in Queen Street. You know Auckland is broken up into four 'cities'? Well don't go looking for them - you won't actually find the 'city' :D Apart from 'Auckland city' itself.

On the Shore, Takapuna has the council offices so that's basically the 'city centre' for want of a better word. We went looking for Waitakere 'city' on Sunday - we saw a signpost for Waitakere Township so thought that must be it!! hahaha - it was one road - about 300m long - with a kindy, firestation, superette and a........ dead end! ROFL We were in stitches!
We're so close to the CBD - it takes about 15 minutes to get there off peak - and yet sitting on our deck we might as well be out in the sticks.

We don't actually go out very much at night - we never did so that doesn't change! BUT, there always seems to be something advertised. Shows, concerts, exhibitions - if you like the races (horses) there's Ellerslie racecourse and Alexandra Park has trotting (that's cool). Lots of free concerts in different parks etc during the summer. One thing I do want to see this year is 'Shakespeare in the Park' which is held over Takapuna way (I think).

Public transport is not bad. I can't say it's brilliant (integrated tickets between the different companies would be good) but I'm never stuck for getting somewhere (I don't drive). Buses were free on Christmas Day!!

Cafes - loads of them, and mostly very good. Eating out is fairly cheap really and we do do that quite a bit.

Real Aucklanders (and I haven't met that many:D - most people seem to be from somewhere else) are a mixed bag. Some of the ones I work with are up themselves but that could be more down to the industry I work in and the money they've got than anything else. All the Maori and Islanders I've met are just lovely - easy to talk to and I love their sense of humour.

I saw my first gang member on Sunday! We've been here since June 2005 and I'd never seen one before - there were two of them on motorbikes in front of us when we were out driving. That's as close as most people will ever get to them and to be honest they both looked like they were on the wrong side of 50 and were driving very sedately too. LOL

Mr Batty says that one day we'll 'live in New Zealand' because he thinks Auckland is NOT New Zealand and we sometimes watch Southland TV and I can see exactly what he means! Sorry I can't compare to the other cities as I don't know very much about them at all.

I couldn't have put it better myself, except I have yet to see one of these gang members. :) Auckland isn't like any City I have ever know and living in the suburbs, you really are not. Each little area has it's own little shops and as many amenities as you are ever likely to need. I very rarely ever venture into the CBD and mainly use the local facilities.

Within 10 minutes drive of home there are a good selection of schools, buses into town, green spaces a plenty, beaches, parks, reserves, library, fish n chip shop, banks, Hell Pizza (bonus points for that), petrol stations, at least 6 supermarkets, cafes, 'out of town' shopping centres, jobs, no high rise buildings, nice houses.

Takapuna is the centre of my world for anything major, it has cinema, restaurants and nightlife and everything I need. By day it has a lovely holiday, old ladies who lunch, kind of atmosphere, as well as having everything the young ones want down on the beach.

Just silly things you think of, Auckland has an International Airport and pretty much if you want to leave these shore, a trip to Auckland will be required. However, it is very easy to get internal flights to other major and provincial airports, excepting that often Welly Airport is closed or suffering huge delays due to (hush my mouth) the weather :eek: )

I have only visited Wellington as a 'tourist' and personally I would not be able to cope with the wind down there. Oops-a-daisy, I mentioned the weather again :) but that was a key deciding factor for us.

sky Jan 9th 2007 9:24 am

I come from Leeds and Christchurch feels nothing like Im used to .. it seemed scruffy and shanty townish compared to where I had come from and I was in shock. I was thrown back to the 1970's and I really didn't like it!
It seems to be getting better though even in the three years I have been here :D sorry only experience of Auckland is seeing it out of the plane window and landing and departing from it and Wellington my mate lived there and they hated it but that's their experience not mine :)

Bo-Jangles Jan 9th 2007 9:40 am

Originally Posted by sky (Post 4262746)
It seems to be getting better though even in the three years I have been here :D

Do you visit places now that you once thought were really scruffy and shabby and think 'mmm, its seems quite nice here now, I wonder what made me think this was a scabby, scruffy, dirty little town?'.