Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

29 and Thinking of leaving for NZ HELP!!

View Poll Results: What is better NZ or the UK
NZ
46.67%
UK
53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

29 and Thinking of leaving for NZ HELP!!

Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:39 am
Just Joined

bradleyre271 has a brilliant futurebradleyre271 has a brilliant futurebradleyre271 has a brilliant futurebradleyre271 has a brilliant futurebradleyre271 has a brilliant futurebradleyre271 has a brilliant futurebradleyre271 has a brilliant future
Cool 29 and Thinking of leaving for NZ HELP!!

Hello everyone.

I am just wondering if anyone out there can help me.

I am currently a serving member of the Royal Engineers as a Cpl and
I have seen that the NZ Army is actively recruiting and this is looking really tempting to me. I am 29 single and financailly solvent with no issues stopping me from going. BUT is this a good move?? Has anyone joined the NZ army from here before? Whats promotion like?

What is NZ like?
Will I be accepted by the people?
I am growing really resentful of England and I'm only 29?
I am planning a visit if I recieve a offer of service

I've read a fair amount of info off of the Web but what is the medical like?
will the wages be ok for someone single with no outgoings.

There seems to be a lot of questions here but HEEEEEELLLLLPPPPPPPP!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 29 and Thinking of leaving for NZ HELP!!

Can't answer your poll as I don't think one place is better than the other. They are just different. I prefer living in NZ but there are a number of things that get my goat from time to time, eg. standard of housing, standard of driving, lack of retail choice, Kiwi intransigence.....

Leaving one country because you are resentful of it is not the best reason to emigrate, you may find you become resentful of your new country. However, only you can decide to take a leap into the unknown.

Good Luck
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bradleyre271
Hello everyone.

I have seen that the NZ Army is actively recruiting and this is looking really tempting to me. I am 29 single and financailly solvent with no issues stopping me from going. BUT is this a good move?? Has anyone joined the NZ army from here before? Whats promotion like?

What is NZ like?

You need to want to come here because of what you have seen, heard or know of this strange place. To me NZ is better than the UK..but only to me and my family on a VERY personal basis. NZ lacks soooooooooooooooooooo much that the UK has....the UK is a fantastic place to live, I imagine a fair few of the 60 million people who live there really love the place. NZ is sooooooooooooooooooooooo different from the UK..like different planets, mind set, psyches, men, women, kids, the beer, the driving, politics, PC brigade.

NZ for me has worked because I came many years ago and imagined my self content here. I returned some 15 years hence and I am content, very content.

I live in a large but sleepy (many say dull, dull, dull!!) town. There are never crowds, jams or any kind of pressure and my local beach is always empty. We work less, have more money to play with here and have finally escaped the masses. If I want to ski its 2.5 hours drive. The beach is 30 mins. There are more things to do here than I can shake a stick at.

However NZ is awash with terrible terrible problems. The trick is to live a life where you manage to avoid those problems (or as many as possible) and all the other shite that dogged you in the UK. So far thats exactly what we are doing. 3 years in and its gets better and better.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:06 am
Just Joined

bradleyre271 has a brilliant futurebradleyre271 has a brilliant futurebradleyre271 has a brilliant futurebradleyre271 has a brilliant futurebradleyre271 has a brilliant futurebradleyre271 has a brilliant futurebradleyre271 has a brilliant future
Cool Re: 29 and Thinking of leaving for NZ HELP!!

Thanks for the reply. I know thats not the best reason to leave this country but I want a better standard of living and I don't believe that the UK can offer me this anymore. I love doing my job but I have to leave after 22 years as opposed to the NZ army were there is no limit.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Hi there genesis when you say that NZ has so many problems could you give me some examples please, every country has there bad problems but I have to think do I really want to live a life that I enjoy in a country that I don't.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there genesis when you say that NZ has so many problems could you give me some examples please, every country has there bad problems but I have to think do I really want to live a life that I enjoy in a country that I don't.
P metampheatmine.

Suicide

Huge drink problem

Domestic violence

Child abuse

way too much paedophilia (apparently)..above abuse is relative to beatings from care givers

Gang tension

Really crappy driving standards

Drink drive

Violence related to alcohol

The police have been under the microscope ..findings not good

Highest house prices in the western world in relation to wages

low wages

global isolation..really hurts some people..really must be considered

Considered backwards technically, lacking in culture and decent shopping..another factor that really irks some people..very much.

I am sure others will add more.

Some of the above are personal, others are alas very, very factual and can be very much in your face dependent on where you live. Fortunately none of it affects me. as I said thats the trick..it can be avoided.

Crappy housing is another problem, have spent a huge amount of time and money dragging my property into some where near UK standards of comfort,
but inspite of all the above I love NZ..its the best of a bad lot as someone said. No where is perfect..same shit different buckets another thing that springs to mind..well I love this bucket..warts and all.

I believe in the 21st cetury even inamongst all the issues that prevail in NZ its the best place to be...for me and my family..wether its for you or not is for you to discover after you arrive. Good luck!!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for the replys. Everyone I speak to says it sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure if its a plus if I go across alone, I travel alone as it is now? Anyone have any tips? any ideas? any major concerns? I need to speak to as many people as I can about this. Thanks
Old Jul 13th 2008, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

gary408 has a spectacular aura aboutgary408 has a spectacular aura aboutgary408 has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: 29 and Thinking of leaving for NZ HELP!!

Go for it. I was a "Sapper", and am still closely involved in the Corps. I know a number of guys who have taken the New Zealand government's offer and love it. One was the ex CO of 33 Engr Regt (EOD) and others have been instructors at DEODS. None have looked back.

They are able to keep their UK passports. Also their NZ passport will allow for easy access into Australia, just in case they find NZ a bit too quiet, which my friends have not.

I am in regular contact with them all (5) and they have no regrets.

Myself I am off to Canada in 2 weeks for a seven week house hunt before moving over.

I love England, but do not like the way we have allowed it to rot from the inside. What and who is to blame I am not sure about, and I guess I no longer feel that it can be turned around. "The patients have the keys to the asylum".

I have visited Canada a number of times staying with family and friends. It is friendly, civilised and I know that like all countries it has its ups and downs. But unlike the UK it has not passed and is no where near the point of no return.

I will be leaving the UK within two years and will eventually take my nephews over so they can share in a new life.

So go ahead and try New Zealand, the move is not irreversible, but I doubt if you will want to come back.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do. Oh and remember Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt!

Best wishes, Gary.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info Gary and I hope it works out for yourself in Canda. I'm just a bit nervous of change I suppose I am doing ok in the Corps, its such a shame that this country is rotting. I will be off if I get the offer of service and can keep my rank. One of major concerns is being accepted over there thats all.

Good luck
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

gary408 has a spectacular aura aboutgary408 has a spectacular aura aboutgary408 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Brad.

Thanks for your reply.

The guys have all kept their ranks, and I am sure you would too. It is no good the NZs recruiting only to demote you.

If you wanted to let me have your email, then please do and I can pass it on to a good friend who works in NZ EOD over there and has been in NZ for two years having gone straight from Lodge Hill. He went with his wife and family and has no regrets. I am sure he would be only too pleased to email you back and you could ask him anything you want.

<personal email addy snipped>

All the best Gary.

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 14th 2008 at 10:05 pm. Reason: not wise to put a personal emal addy up on an open forum. You can contact via the PM system
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:49 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Both countries have plenty to offer, for me I prefer NZ, moved over on New Years Day.

The negatives do exist, but their are plenty of positives. Why else would we stay if it was all negative - we wouldn't.

Like anything in life it depends on what you want. You have no ties at present so if you do try NZ and don't like it you can always move back to the UK. You won't know unless you give it a go.

Personally I would rather give NZ a go than look back in the years to come and constantly think 'WHAT IF' or 'I SHOULD HAVE GIVEN IT A GO'.

As for voting I also cannot, it depends on what you want in life. Would have to vote for both
Hope this helps a little
Pauline

Last edited by howden40; Jul 13th 2008 at 10:52 pm. Reason: forgot to vote
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll Email you later on thanks Gary, it would be good to have comms with someone over in NZ who has been through all this.

Can anyone tell me how much this all costs I have no plans to use a agent. Medical fees etc, also the timescale side of things I have to work 12 months notice being in the forces. Does anyone know how long the accepetence process is for the NZ forces and are the NZ people friendly to people from England and last question what are the NZ Ladys like oh and the Beer situation? Also 1 last thing I do enjoy my football and I know that NZ has SKY out there but does it show the premier league games..

Thanks everyone for your continued help in stopping me flapping about this
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

Hello everyone.

What is NZ like?

Just do it!