British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   28 months in - some ramblings (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/28-months-some-ramblings-527385/)

ledge Apr 7th 2008 11:28 pm

Re: 28 months in - some ramblings

One other thing to add to the "loves" list:
:thumbsup: Being able to get tickets for just about any sports event/ concert you want the week (or often the night) before the event.

So far in 18 months we've managed:
Rugby League - two test matches,
Cricket - three one-day internationals and a test match
Rugby Union - all the Hurricanes and Lions games
Music etc - The Police, plus some other lower profile concerts

You can afford to be a lot more spontaneous about deciding to go to at short notice

RobClubley Apr 7th 2008 11:30 pm

True!
Unless it's U2 :unsure:
Or the Vodafone Homegrown in Wellington - I waited too long on that one, doh!!

brussels_sprout Apr 8th 2008 10:20 am

Yes, I have noticed that many NZ emigrants get happy clappy about their lives, but if you analyse your life in NZ, you are probably just making ends meet and due to the poor health service , a visit to the dentist is going to make a large hole in your finances. Many Kiwis almost faint when they see a 100$ note (35 pounds), it is sooooo much money to them !

Genesis Apr 8th 2008 10:58 am

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout (Post 6177084)
Yes, I have noticed that many NZ emigrants get happy clappy about their lives, but if you analyse your life in NZ, you are probably just making ends meet and due to the poor health service , a visit to the dentist is going to make a large hole in your finances. Many Kiwis almost faint when they see a 100$ note (35 pounds), it is sooooo much money to them !

Disagree BP, we are better off in NZ than in UK..and we are one house husband and a nurse..not big earners. We did not come here to be wealthy, it just happens that we are better off here (nurses earn far more relatively than UK counterparts). We are certainly not just making ends meet. We also think the health service is way better than the UK NHS..we have had one emergency, two kids hospitalised and a number of out patient visits. All on time and arranged quickly..maybe its just the DHB we have here have their act together..we are VV impressed with all things medical. And to see a paediatric consultant $40....vasectomy $350 (inc two consults and endless tests)..bloody good value in my books! Sorry somewhat off topic.

Nerine Apr 8th 2008 11:07 am

Great post Rob :thumbup:, any plans for a design for the other arm yet?

Cyffiwr Apr 8th 2008 11:52 am

So glad to hear that you've settled and are loving it there.

Our intention is to come over and have a bit of an adventure. Not planning on being rich, but definately planning on being happy.

Makes me feel all positive again now...:thumbsup:

Robbo25 Apr 8th 2008 12:45 pm

Yeah great post Rob, you seem to really be immersing yourself into it which is probably the best way.

RobClubley Apr 8th 2008 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 6177255)
Great post Rob :thumbup:, any plans for a design for the other arm yet?

Not yet - I think I'll let the dust settle around this one first, so to speak!!
Can't help having ideas though - as they say, once you have one it gets addictive!

Originally Posted by Cyffiwr (Post 6177453)
So glad to hear that you've settled and are loving it there.

Our intention is to come over and have a bit of an adventure. Not planning on being rich, but definately planning on being happy.

Makes me feel all positive again now...:thumbsup:

Cool - mission accomplished :D

Originally Posted by Robbo25 (Post 6177649)
Yeah great post Rob, you seem to really be immersing yourself into it which is probably the best way.

Definitely. It's the only way, in my opinion!

Nice Guy Apr 8th 2008 11:48 pm

28 months in - some ramblings

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout (Post 6174770)
<edit>

There is the same land owning elite as in England who trade land and horses these are the ones who benefit from the low Kiwi salaries not the emigrants who struggle with crap health service and high housing costs.

Hey BS

Agree with you about dental care but IMVHO the health service in NZ is excellent and a world beater.

I have had several visits to many hospitals in many countries but when I went to North Shore hospital after my heart attack I received excellent emergency, CCU, ward and OPD care. It really was world class. Of course you and others may not have had such good service but for me first class.

Sorry to hijack the thread Rob, excellent post and an inspiration to all prospective immigrants.

southerner Apr 9th 2008 3:07 am

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout (Post 6175259)
I love NZ too, i just want to warn potential immigrants of the realities of life here. As i have said in other posts, to have the good Kiwi lifestyle AND good standard of living, you will have to have 2 good salaries OR your house more or less paid off.

Thats probably true in nearly all cases, but as some others have also posted there are some cases of people earning more in NZ than the UK and being quite comfortable on one salary with an average mortgage. They are the exception, but do exist.

I also think it is a highly subjective matter what a good standard of living is. For some it means having the ability to buy what they want when they want, and to go on an overseas holiday once a year, whereas for others its something altogether less than that.

Anyway, this thread certainly is inspirational and I think realistic in setting out some overall expectations that probably works in most cases.

Batty Apr 9th 2008 3:48 am

I'm in the 'happy clappy' group too - great post Rob. We don't have much money either but again that's down to actually 'doing' things like going away for weekends which we never used to do. :thumbup:

madmidwife Apr 9th 2008 5:28 pm

Great thread Rob, it's really inspiring to read about someone who had the guts to up and chase your dream. Well done to you and Melanie:thumbsup: