British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   24th March 8pm (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/24th-march-8pm-874797/)

MrsFychan Mar 24th 2016 5:54 am

24th March 8pm

The result of the flag referendum.

MrsFychan Mar 24th 2016 7:32 am

Re: 24th March 8pm

no surprise there

NZers decide to keep flag | Politics | Newshub

jmh Mar 24th 2016 7:37 am

Yay!:thumbsup:

Stormer999 Mar 24th 2016 8:06 am

I will now fly my Silver Fern Flag with greater vigor....:lol: Never did like the Oz look a like....:lol: To be honest the Silver Fern IS NZ....:thumbsup:

mikelincs Mar 24th 2016 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 11904307)
I will now fly my Silver Fern Flag with greater vigor....:lol: Never did like the Oz look a like....:lol: To be honest the Silver Fern IS NZ....:thumbsup:

Hang on a minute, you have voted for NO CHANGE to the flag, so it will still be the OZ look-like.

MrsFychan Mar 24th 2016 9:07 am

it could of been such a different story if there was an actual decent flag on offer

Fredbargate Mar 24th 2016 9:12 am

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 11904291)
Yay!:thumbsup:

Agreed :thumbsup:

BEVS Mar 24th 2016 9:55 am

For goodness sake.

What a load of time wasting deflective money.

This whole thing give me the poops.

Y'know. It does my head in in a way. It is so much more than a design. It has more at the heart than this and for the vacuous way this has been done it makes me a bit sad.

Tom H Mar 24th 2016 7:32 pm

I'm glad they gave us a choice and am very disappointed that there wasn't a decent alternative on offer.

I just hope the people who voted against the change were because they wanted the current flag or they didn't like the alternative. If it's because they don't like John Key or hate the Republican party, that's pretty sad. Petty politics shouldn't come into play. I've been very disappointed with labour over this since they had it in their manifesto that they'd offer a vote on the flag.

Next time, offer something that symbols New Zealand as a whole. Not their sports teams. I want a flag that I can take pride in observing, not a flag that contains a symbol where I'd have to throw a tantrum and blame third parties for defeat or an abject failure.

Tom H Mar 24th 2016 7:36 pm

Oh and spare a thought for those that didn't find it the result till this morning. Moments before the result, the power goes for a few hours. Power cuts, oh what fun they are

Stormer999 Mar 24th 2016 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11904327)
Hang on a minute, you have voted for NO CHANGE to the flag, so it will still be the OZ look-like.

No Mike don't get confused we were always going to end up with two flags...bit like Cornwall really ;)

The Silver Fern can be worn abroad and tells people where you are from, bit like the Maple leaf, the old flag no-one recognises and confuses with the Oz almost identical drape. One thing for sure the flag debate has certainly made Kiwi's more aware of their National identity on the World stage.

jmh Mar 24th 2016 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Tom H (Post 11904866)
I'm glad they gave us a choice and am very disappointed that there wasn't a decent alternative on offer.

I just hope the people who voted against the change were because they wanted the current flag or they didn't like the alternative. If it's because they don't like John Key or hate the Republican party, that's pretty sad. Petty politics shouldn't come into play. I've been very disappointed with labour over this since they had it in their manifesto that they'd offer a vote on the flag.

Next time, offer something that symbols New Zealand as a whole. Not their sports teams. I want a flag that I can take pride in observing, not a flag that contains a symbol where I'd have to throw a tantrum and blame third parties for defeat or an abject failure.

You summarise my view. Much as I don't like Key, I would have voted for the alternative if I liked it. I looked at both and thought, which one represents me as a kiwi? Since I'm not a rugby fan (I'm not totally against the fern, it's just that the one in the design looks just like the All Black's logo), I went with the current flag. I find it a bit embarrassing to be represented by a sports logo.

jmh Mar 24th 2016 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 11904875)
No Mike don't get confused we were always going to end up with two flags...bit like Cornwall really ;)

The Silver Fern can be worn abroad and tells people where you are from, bit like the Maple leaf, the old flag no-one recognises and confuses with the Oz almost identical drape. One thing for sure the flag debate has certainly made Kiwi's more aware of their National identity on the World stage.

The English are represented by the rose, but it's unlikely that will ever be put on a flag. And the maple leaf was forced on the public and was unpopular - a red maple leaf is a dead maple leaf.

Flags are not the place for shrubbery.

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 24th 2016 10:22 pm

Well I'm happy with the result, just feel sick at the amount of money spent on this wasted exercise.

My choice had nothing to do with my political leanings, I like the flag as it is. Simple as.

I was switching around the news channels before going to bed last night and loved the BBC's take on it. It started with "And now for some light relief....New Zealand has voted to keep it's current flag...."

So the rest of the world sees it as a $26 million joke:nod::scaredhair::(