British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Is 22.50 per hour enough to survive (with a family) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/22-50-per-hour-enough-survive-family-595681/)

Neil Jackson Mar 5th 2009 7:32 pm

Is 22.50 per hour enough to survive (with a family)

Two toddlers and a wife looking after them; is $22.50 full time enough to get by for a couple of years (training) - until they get into school? Auckland-bound.
Regards,
Neil:confused:

Genesis Mar 5th 2009 11:15 pm

Re: Is 22.50 per hour enough to survive (with a family)

Originally Posted by Neil Jackson (Post 7349071)
Two toddlers and a wife looking after them; is $22.50 full time enough to get by for a couple of years (training) - until they get into school? Auckland-bound.
Regards,

If you do a 40 hr week thats $46800 less tax..you will clear roughly $3k a month. Some one else asked the same a few days ago..could I survive on that amount..the answer was yes but it would be a struggle. Auckland is probably the most expensive place to live in Nz some say so your $ goes not quite as far as say in Hamilton or Palmy. Only you know how much you wanna be here and are you prepped to live a tight budget for the 1st 2 years?? Good luch whatever your choice..been here 4 years and we love it. Never to return to the UK!!! Unless 60 million people leave!!

Neil Jackson Mar 6th 2009 5:15 am

Thanks Genesis - looks good, we've got some salted away from the house sale as an emergency. Same boat; too many people in the UK, chasing too little cash.

Charismatic Mar 8th 2009 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 7349829)
If you do a 40 hr week thats $46800 less tax..you will clear roughly $3k a month. Some one else asked the same a few days ago..could I survive on that amount..the answer was yes but it would be a struggle. Auckland is probably the most expensive place to live in Nz some say so your $ goes not quite as far as say in Hamilton or Palmy. Only you know how much you wanna be here and are you prepped to live a tight budget for the 1st 2 years?? Good luch whatever your choice..been here 4 years and we love it. Never to return to the UK!!! Unless 60 million people leave!!

Spot on, rural area or small/medium town and you would be fine mate :). Do you have to be in Auckland?

Good luck, think you'll love it here especially during summer :thumbup:.

Neil Jackson Mar 8th 2009 8:21 am

Obliged to work for three years in Auckland, then can go anywhere. Yes, rural is best for us; we live on a farm, renting a cottage, after city life. Never go back (except for the three compulsory years (might travel to and fro daily into Auckland if that's possible.) Heard bad things about the crime and gangs there...

pricklykina Mar 8th 2009 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Neil Jackson (Post 7356280)
Obliged to work for three years in Auckland... Heard bad things about the crime and gangs there...

It's not that bad, LOL. Like anywhere. Good and bad places. Gangs aren't really a problem for anyone not in a gang. I would be more worried about CHCH than Auckland. Commuting is possible but with petrol cost, you may not save much and you lose out in family time. Find a nice family suburb and you'll be well away. But not on the Shore, god forbid LOL
Titirangi is popular with Poms.

Neil Jackson Mar 8th 2009 9:37 am

Thanks PK. We'll steer clear of The Shore. Images of Once Were Warriors crossing my mind. Eventually I want to get the brood right out into the boondocks, ready for rising sea levels and oil depletion. But I'll save those night-time stories for when they're older!;)

pricklykina Mar 8th 2009 9:58 am

LOL (I'm doing that a lot today) North Shore is not gang plagued at all...quite the opposite and lots of expat brits go there for the beaches, lifestyle etc. Good schools and services. I'm going to hate myself for recommending it. But for me...it's a bit too sanitised. Each to there own though. I've spent 9 years in Auckland central and we've now bought our first home so have moved West. I've always had an affinity with W. Auckland. Cheaper houses and rent too and good down to earth people. Plenty of people raising families on $22 per hour. Plus you have access to the wonderfully moody black sand beaches of the west plus the bush too

Neil Jackson Mar 8th 2009 12:14 pm

Thanks PK:). I shall relay all this to the boss.

sparkie down under Mar 8th 2009 11:01 pm

NO !

irnbru14 Mar 8th 2009 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Neil Jackson (Post 7349071)
Regards,

You also have to remember all of your "start up costs" such as deposit (bond is usually about 4 weeks rent and at least 2 weeks rent up front before you move in!) on rental/house, do you need to buy a car/cars, furniture & TV's/fridges/washing machine and all the bits and pieces for the house like irons and kettles, insurances (building, contents, car etc), and stocking up on kiwi wine of course... :D

BEVS Mar 11th 2009 4:26 am

I think you might struggle on that wage for Auckland area as you have family to support.

sr71 Mar 11th 2009 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Neil Jackson (Post 7356381)
Thanks PK. We'll steer clear of The Shore. Images of Once Were Warriors crossing my mind. Eventually I want to get the brood right out into the boondocks, ready for rising sea levels and oil depletion. But I'll save those night-time stories for when they're older!;)

Actually you probably have more of a chance of bumping into gangs in the smaller country towns rather than Auckland suburbia. And I wouldn't believe what anyone told you about gangs - they will never bother you unless you go looking for them.

Browner_ Mar 11th 2009 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 7349829)
If you do a 40 hr week thats $46800 less tax..you will clear roughly $3k a month.

Im getting $2k a month on the UB, for sitting at home playing with me todger.
Can we survive on that - No, not as long as we have a car,lights and heating.

Browner_ Mar 11th 2009 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Neil Jackson (Post 7356381)
Eventually I want to get the brood right out into the boondocks, ready for rising sea levels and oil depletion. But I'll save those night-time stories for when they're older!;)

Have you seen the boondocks?