Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

2014 was going so well until the 2nd Jan!

2014 was going so well until the 2nd Jan!

Old Jan 6th 2014, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Angry 2014 was going so well until the 2nd Jan!

Myself & Mr Big Sticks decided to head north from the Whangaparaoa Peninsula last Thursday & oh how we wish we hadn't bothered.

We visited the Kauri Museum at Matakohe (some interesting exhibits but not really our cup of tea), had lunch at a wee cafe across the road & a wee wander around the village.

Mr Big Sticks is a bit of a sucker for ice cream & wanted to get one from Waipu Cove. As it was a beautiful, hot day, an ice cream & a paddle in the sea seemed like a great idea to me. So off we headed along SH12.

Just nearing Brynderwyn & our turn off on SH1 when on the brow of a hill and a slight right bend we encounter a car on our side of the road heading towards us .
Mr Big Sticks managed to swerve to the left but the driver never saw us & impacted the driver's door on our car. We were spun 180 degrees & ended up in a ditch facing the opposite way!

The young lad admitted liability, saying that he'd been playing with his radio & hadn't seen us and had no idea that he had drifted into our lane.

So thankfully we have all walked away from this as it could have been so much worse. The police will probably charge the driver with careless driving. So now we are left with whiplash, bruising etc. & OH has no car.
Given that Mr Big Sticks is under threat of redundancy, this couldn't have happened at a worse time. I am so hacked off. Can we go straight to 2015 please.

Rant over for now!
Old Jan 6th 2014, 6:39 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2014 was going so well until the 2nd Jan!

thats dreadful Vital, glad you guys are ok though.

does the lad have insurance to cover your costs? hope they throw the book at him
Old Jan 6th 2014, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
thats dreadful Vital, glad you guys are ok though.

does the lad have insurance to cover your costs? hope they throw the book at him
Amazingly he does have insurance. We think he was reckless rather than careless but that's just our opinion. I wish Kiwis would 'get' that driving is a privilege not a right.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 8:15 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief! What a scary experience I'm glad you are both OK.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 8:23 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you are all Ok
Rather than any punishment I would much prefer to see compulsory training and a period of speed limitation for the lad otherwise he might go out and do it to some other poor souls.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 9:06 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Aww no Bigstix and Mr Bigstix

Hope you're ok, at least he was insured but better it hadn't happened at all.
Wishing you lots of love and hugs and squidgy stuff.

Look after yourselves and hope everything goes well with all the other stuff you have going on. Stay strong and have a good rant to us if needs be.
Xxx
Old Jan 6th 2014, 9:15 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to hear about your accident. Big hugs sent your way.

We travelled around over Christmas and I lost count how many times an accident may have occurred through reckless driving. It's scary especially when my little one is in the back seat. Hope you get sorted soon.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear of your accident - what a cr@ppy way to start the new year :-(

Hopefully the rest of the year will treat you better. {{Hugs}}}
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Oooooh, that's not good. Hope everything improves in 2014 from here on.

We went through that area the day after, on the Friday, and it is very not ace for traffic in the holidays is it? I'm amazed that there's not a bypass for Warkworth at least, so the holiday makers + their boats don't have to trawl through those ridiculous lights just to carry on up SH1.

And we laughed at the passing lanes - even the caravan that had been doing 75km/h for half an hour can suddenly manage 105km/h as it goes through the passing lanes?!! Just redonkeylous. So kiwi.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

Thank you all for your good wishes. Me 'n' Him are feeling 'down' still. Stormer, frankly I'd quite like to hang the lad by his testicles for an hour or two . I found him on FB and he seems to be a fan of 'pot', so I now wonder if he may have been under the influence. But we'll never know.

I did try to load some photos onto here but it wouldn't work. Car has been brought down to Auckland so waiting for it to be assessed.

I have been for physio for whiplash as I've been in quite a bit of pain & had a permanent headache that no amount of painkillers would touch. Physio got rid of my headache immediately... I love him . Seeing him again today as is Mr Big Sticks.

Onwards & upwards.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 9:01 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Thank you all for your good wishes. Me 'n' Him are feeling 'down' still. Stormer, frankly I'd quite like to hang the lad by his testicles for an hour or two . I found him on FB and he seems to be a fan of 'pot', so I now wonder if he may have been under the influence. But we'll never know.

I did try to load some photos onto here but it wouldn't work. Car has been brought down to Auckland so waiting for it to be assessed.

I have been for physio for whiplash as I've been in quite a bit of pain & had a permanent headache that no amount of painkillers would touch. Physio got rid of my headache immediately... I love him . Seeing him again today as is Mr Big Sticks.

Onwards & upwards.
OK..so when you cut him down then send him for intensive rehab..
Glad the Physio is helping but they are good at their jobs.
Motorcyclists nightmare big 4x4's coming round the blind corner on the wrong side of the road!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 9:15 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

What a rotten way to start the year.

Glad that you are both relatively OK . No serious injuries and all that.

Get yourselves a bit of R&R and you hear positive news on the job front thing too.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no, so sorry to hear about your accident. Glad that you are OK though.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of the year. Hopefully no redundancy or a interesting, well paid new job on the horizon.