Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

2007 Sauvignon Blanc

2007 Sauvignon Blanc

Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:37 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2007 Sauvignon Blanc

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
Riseling! Right yum! Many of us will remember "Blue Nun" *shudder*, a disgusting sickly sweet concoction conjured up by the Germans as revenge for the war.

Here in NZ, produced in a French style, it is a million miles away from what you may be used to. Made in a dry or off-dry (medium) style, high in alcohol, can have some racy acidity. Stonefruit like flavours and aromas, reminds me of peaches/apricots.

Pino Gris - Is a strange little grape, a mutated white variant of Pino Noir - the great red grape of Burgundy. But it produces my favorite style of wine. Similar to Riseling, but for me, reminds me of pears and butterscotch (yes, I know I am talking wine bollocks). Often made with a bit of "skin contact" can come in a slightly pinky blush or onion skin type colour.

Both make for excellent summer drinking wines, matches up well with food.

If anyone is wanting a recommendation, please try the following

Riesling - Drylands, Allan Scotts, Stoneleigh

Pino Gris - Stoneleigh and my absolute favorite NZ wine of all time - Clayridge Pino Gris ($17-20 a bottle)

http://www.clayridge.net.nz/the-wines.html

Any other recommendations gratefully received!

St Clair Sauvingnon Blanc (any of it )

Vavasour Pinot Noir; and not because of the cockerel thats all over the place in these parts!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Oh excellent...our resident wine experts! My daughter told me recently, just as I pour myself a large one, that unless the grapes are hand picked they are picked by machine which means that insects, rats, etc end up in the blender or whatever they use, and therefore in the wine.
This cant be true...can it
I dont know where she got this info, and it hasn't put me off drinking the beautiful stuff, just wondered if there was any truth in it.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jude J
insects, rats, etc end up in the blender or whatever they use, and therefore in the wine.
It all adds to the flavour
Old Sep 6th 2007, 6:48 am
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

Has anyone tried Kathy Lynsky Pinot Gris. Its gorgous, the best pinot gris I have had. Its normally $30 a bottle but you can get it for $20 a bottle on the black market website but you have buy a case though. Its sooo worth it.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 9:15 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazal
Has anyone tried Kathy Lynsky Pinot Gris. Its gorgous, the best pinot gris I have had. Its normally $30 a bottle but you can get it for $20 a bottle on the black market website but you have buy a case though. Its sooo worth it.

Cathy Lynskey vineyard is up for sale

http://www.bayleys.co.nz/20594626
Old Sep 6th 2007, 9:18 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Cathy Lynskey vineyard is up for sale

http://www.bayleys.co.nz/20594626
"I want that one ..."
Old Sep 6th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Wairau River Sauv Blanc my favourite.

Can't seem to find any Pino Gris in Woolworths, why is this?
Old Sep 6th 2007, 10:44 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
"I want that one ..."

Living in Marlborough is like having the keys to the sweety shop

http://www.destinationmarlborough.co...gion%20Map.pdf

We have at least a dozen cellar doors within staggering distance of where we live