Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

20 year old moving to New Zealand

20 year old moving to New Zealand

Old Dec 13th 2009, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisbower will become famous soon enough
Default 20 year old moving to New Zealand

Hi there, im Chris im nearly 20 and i have a full residence visa to NZ thanks to my mum and step dad who applied and got us in. (THEPHONEJUNKY) on this forum.

Basically, with the current situation with the house, its undecided as to when we will all go, if we do, however i want to go sooner rather than later. I am currently an IT Technician and have will have NVQ3 by the time im looking to go (Next January/Feb).

I am looking to go into education when i get there to further my qualifications in computers, plus i think its the best way i will be able to mix with people my age and make friends, which is what i will need without my family being there.

I want to move to the Auckland area as we went to NZ last year to activate our visas and thats the place that seemed most appealing to me.Just a few questions that some of you may be able to answer.

1.) Weres the best place to book cheap flights from past experience?

2.) Does anyone have info on house sharing, how easy it is to find, prices etc?

3.) Are there many colleges/universities in Auckland, what time of year is enrolment, can i just go and get on a course?

4.) How easy is it to get part time jobs?

It is going to take a lot of planning but hopefully some of you may be able to clear up a few things. And help appreciated!

Thanks
Old Dec 13th 2009, 5:13 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 20 year old moving to New Zealand

Hi Chris

Id say find the course you want to do asap as its end of term here for the big summer break with the new term starting arounb end of jan begining of feb.

Get onto the studylink website in regards to funding your course with a student loan if needs be and for advice.

I would say get on the phone to the universities and speak to their addmissions dept as quick as poss.

Work wise I would say there is a fair chance for most student type jobs but competition might be tougher than normal because of the way things are all over the place.

Cant answer for Auckland but my 20 year old daughter (down boy!! lol) goes to uni here in dunedin (otago university) It's a real uniy city here in dunedin and TBH I would say would be a good bet for you as a starting place.

Its more compact than auckland but has a real vibe to the place (good and bas depending on your age!) and dunedin itself has great facilities and will also have NZ's only roofed stadium hopefully in time for the rugby world cup.

There is a good 'band' scene' here with various gigs to go to.

Also you could escape the need for a car as most student rentals are a walk away from it all.

Sure Auckland is a huge place and get all the concerts and stars but if you want a good uni experience in a freindly city Id say give it a look.

plenty of student rentals as well.

all the best

george
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:29 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 20 year old moving to New Zealand

Originally Posted by Chrisbower
3.) Are there many colleges/universities in Auckland, what time of year is enrolment, can i just go and get on a course?

Hey Chris, I moved here about 6ish years ago (I've just turned 24).

I don’t live in Auckland but I can at least provide you with a couple of answers. There are three main universities in Auckland:
University of Auckland (Which is actually pretty well rated through I’ve not known anyone who has went?).
Massey University (There campus in Albany is just lovely and they run a few engineering/computer science majors that might interest you).
Auckland University of Technology (AUT) which is a new university.

It's very easy to get part time jobs but mostly in unskilled work if you are a student (but the bigger universities seem to offer plenty of incentives to postgrad students). New Zealand is one of those places where it really pays to make contacts as many jobs never get advertised and sometimes knowing the right person can just allow a position to be created for you .
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

Gumtree.com for main centre flats - to get an idea of what is available
good luck
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

Sorry forgot to say there are also polytechs Manukau Institute of Technology and Unitec in Auckland
Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there, im Chris im nearly 20 and i have a full residence visa to NZ thanks to my mum and step dad who applied and got us in. (THEPHONEJUNKY) on this forum.

Basically, with the current situation with the house, its undecided as to when we will all go, if we do, however i want to go sooner rather than later. I am currently an IT Technician and have will have NVQ3 by the time im looking to go (Next January/Feb).

I am looking to go into education when i get there to further my qualifications in computers, plus i think its the best way i will be able to mix with people my age and make friends, which is what i will need without my family being there.

I want to move to the Auckland area as we went to NZ last year to activate our visas and thats the place that seemed most appealing to me.Just a few questions that some of you may be able to answer.

1.) Weres the best place to book cheap flights from past experience?

2.) Does anyone have info on house sharing, how easy it is to find, prices etc?

It is going to take a lot of planning but hopefully some of you may be able to clear up a few things. And help appreciated!

Thanks
Hi guys, thanks for the info, been very helpful!

George- Iv been looking at dunedin and it seems like a nice place, didnt realise it was on the south island tho but i have to start somewhere i guess.

How easy was it to get your daughter into Uni, was she at a polytechnic before. Its just that i have my GCSE grades from High school which are all good plus an NVQ2 in IT which is what i was looking at doing at Otago University.

Also been looking at the Tauranga area which is were me and my family went last year to activate our visas.

Thanks
Chris
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:29 pm

hi

sorry chris I wouldnt have a clue on what a gcse grade gets you.is that like an old 'A' level if so id say you would be fine.

My daughter got into uni at 17 although that was a exeption more than a rule so cant help you there.

I would say be quick before they close down at the end of this week and just phone them up and ask.

you should get put through to the course department and be able to ask them direct as to what it is they want you to have.BE QUICK as once they shuts down it will be only a skeleton staff untill feb when it all re starts.

good luck

george
Old Dec 16th 2009, 12:07 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Prerequisites depend on the course, check the University of Otago (or other university you are interested in) website. Usually they are very flexible for foreign students if you are paying international fees, most universities actually lose money on domestic students so it can be more difficult if you are enrolled as domestic.

It sounds like you should have no problem to me though, you’ll find NZ less competitive for university places especially on technical courses as domestic students just aren’t that interested in studying technical subjects. IIRC you can usually convert good GCSE results to NZQA level 3 which is the spec most universities use if they have prerequisites (don’t waste your money converting though, Universities couldn’t care less about NZQA and seem to actually prefer the GCSE grading system).

As mentioned get your application in early, you’ll have fun in Dunedin it’s a really party town for young students (called Scarfies) .
Old Dec 16th 2009, 6:35 am
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

Hi guys, thanks for the info, been very helpful!

George- Iv been looking at dunedin and it seems like a nice place, didnt realise it was on the south island tho but i have to start somewhere i guess.

How easy was it to get your daughter into Uni, was she at a polytechnic before. Its just that i have my GCSE grades from High school which are all good plus an NVQ2 in IT which is what i was looking at doing at Otago University.

Also been looking at the Tauranga area which is were me and my family went last year to activate our visas.

Thanks
Chris
Hi Chris, can I ask if your mum and dad are in tauranga now? Their names woulndt be nicky and dave would they by any chance?

Tina. x
Old Dec 16th 2009, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: 20 year old moving to New Zealand

Originally Posted by willand tina_h
Hi Chris, can I ask if your mum and dad are in tauranga now? Their names woulndt be nicky and dave would they by any chance?

Tina. x
Hi
I can answer that.
NO we are still in UK waiting for house to sell, but one, one day we will get there.

Last edited by PHONEJUNKY; Dec 16th 2009 at 1:31 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 3:39 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by PHONEJUNKY

Hi
I can answer that.
NO we are still in UK waiting for house to sell, but one, one day we will get there.
lol oh ok. Was just wondering as know someone who is working where we are goin and they have a 20 yr old son in the UK, just me being blonde I think as I only thin that NZ has the people in it that I know of, pmsl. Anyway hello and hope you didnt think I was being nosey????

Tina. x

PS have we made the right choice? As we not been there but just loved what we reserched of it? Hope to see you there soon then. x

Last edited by willand tina_h; Dec 16th 2009 at 3:40 pm. Reason: added more info
Old Dec 17th 2009, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Right guys, thanks for all the info and help.

Iv decided against the south Island and have chosen to be around the hamilton/ Tauranga area.

I have applied for both BOP polytechnic and Waikato uni in Hamilton.

Iv heard the student life/night life is great in Hamilton but just wondered if anyone knew what the student life/ night life is like in Tauranga area as we visited bay of plenty area last year and it seemed a bit quiet!

Thanks
Chris
Old Dec 17th 2009, 4:33 pm

all the best chris and good luck.

Hamilton is a bit to land locked for me as we like the beach but it seems a nice enough place.

I reckon student life would be great at any uni

all the best

george
Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

BIG UPDATE- I HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED ON A COMPUTER COURSE AT BOP POLYTECHNIC

Just got to find accomodation and book flights now!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:50 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

BIG UPDATE- I HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED ON A COMPUTER COURSE AT BOP POLYTECHNIC

Just got to find accomodation and book flights now!
WELL DONE!!
Good luck and hope you enjoy student life in BoP ...I'm sure you'll have a blast!!
B x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.