Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

20% deposit needed to buy a house from oct

20% deposit needed to buy a house from oct

Old Sep 1st 2016, 7:31 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 20% deposit needed to buy a house from oct

So we are now housing last place in affordability by price to income according to the IMF.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 20% deposit needed to buy a house from oct

Originally Posted by Charismatic
So we are now housing last place in affordability by price to income according to the IMF.
She'll be right!

"The warning lights are starting to flash ... so I think at the moment we're on what's called 'amber alert' rather than red alert."

NZ tops IMF's housing unaffordability list | Stuff.co.nz
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 9:26 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 20% deposit needed to buy a house from oct

I think we've been driving around for years with the check engine light on.

Interestingly banks also got a downgrade recently for having a higher proportion of lending on interest only terms. Interestingly Bloomberg ran a story about how interest only loans where just making their way back into the US market (with strict caveats outlining eventual full repayment) after the housing crisis.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 10:53 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

The chart is a bit deceptive. It shows the greatest change since 2010. Comparing actual prices to actual wages, the latest data shows Auckland 4th equal with Melbourne and San Jose, behind Hong Kong, Sydney and Vancouver.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 10:41 am
Truth is the safest lie.

The QV House Price Index out at midday showed Auckland region average values stood at $1,013,632 in August, up 15.9 per cent compared to the previous year and 6.1 per year during the last three months.
Awesome! Can only go higher if rates get lower.

Basically however house prices aren't factored into CPI inflation which the reserve bank targets.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Angeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to explain to people who already own homes in the Auckland market just how bad it is, is becoming nigh on impossible. They just say get in NOW NOW NOW!! Um, with what? My measly deposit which actually is a h*ll of a lot of money to have sitting around.
What happens when the average price hits $2mill? (which I'm more than sure it will) What actually happens to a place when only millionaires can afford it?
Old Sep 7th 2016, 6:47 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by Angeshirl
What actually happens to a place when only millionaires can afford it?
Then they don't live in Auckland? Businesses love Auckland because the wages are really no higher than the rest of New Zealand (Wellington is really the home of wealth and power in New Zealand) but there is a large population to draw skills from and the associated issues like transport are costs employees incur in lost time. If you where doing the math properly you might reason that an Auckland employee should be earning perhaps 1.5-2x an employee in another city but generally that's just not the case.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to explain to people who already own homes in the Auckland market just how bad it is, is becoming nigh on impossible. They just say get in NOW NOW NOW!! Um, with what? My measly deposit which actually is a h*ll of a lot of money to have sitting around.
What happens when the average price hits $2mill? (which I'm more than sure it will) What actually happens to a place when only millionaires can afford it?

London springs to mind
Old Sep 7th 2016, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

We own a home here ( in partnership with the bank ) but I get your frustration. House prices are just silly in Auckland in most areas. We are reasonably unlucky in that we bought in the previous market height in March 2007, so our house hasn't risen a huge amount. Plus the fact that Penlink hasn't happened has further stymied us.
But at least we have a house. I see younger friends who are really struggling to try and get on the housing market. One couple has bought in Maungaratoto, north of Wellsford. They couldn't have done it without the help of their parents. They are currently living in little more than a glorified shed. I was horrified when I saw it. I don't know what the answer is for you but I do feel for you.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 10:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Kotare
London springs to mind
Not the same issue. Charismatic's post shows why .

Then they don't live in Auckland? Businesses love Auckland because the wages are really no higher than the rest of New Zealand (Wellington is really the home of wealth and power in New Zealand) but there is a large population to draw skills from and the associated issues like transport are costs employees incur in lost time. If you where doing the math properly you might reason that an Auckland employee should be earning perhaps 1.5-2x an employee in another city but generally that's just not the case.
Agree & that will curl your toes Mister.

We know one businessman that chose not to rebuild in Christchurch and decided that Auckland was the far better option .
Old Sep 13th 2016, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

A4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond repute

Buy now and be in negative equity down the line? No chance
Old Sep 13th 2016, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Angeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A4Ron
Buy now and be in negative equity down the line? No chance
Ha! Unfortunately Auckland price will continue to go up from now on. There will be no negative equity for anyone already on or who will get on the property ladder from now on. I missed the boat, and no, I'm no resentful of the capital gains nor would I ever consider having an investment property I just wanted the chance to have a home.
Getting shunted around rentals for the rest of my life is something I have to accept. Trust me, I'd leave Auckland if I could but I can't.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

A4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! Unfortunately Auckland price will continue to go up from now on. There will be no negative equity for anyone already on or who will get on the property ladder from now on. I missed the boat, and no, I'm no resentful of the capital gains nor would I ever consider having an investment property I just wanted the chance to have a home.
Getting shunted around rentals for the rest of my life is something I have to accept. Trust me, I'd leave Auckland if I could but I can't.
Hang on in there. Another major global recession is just around the corner, four of the five world's largest banks are Chinese and they've got crazy levels of debt you wouldn't believe. They're already starting to reduce lending to Chinese nationals buying in foreign countries.

The warning signs are there already. Sit back and watch property investors pump and dump... ensuing domino effect. There will be lots of tears, especially from those with high debt-to-income ratios and mortaged up to the hilt

2008 will be like a walk in the park
Old Sep 13th 2016, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by A4Ron
Hang on in there. Another major global recession is just around the corner, four of the five world's largest banks are Chinese and they've got crazy levels of debt you wouldn't believe. They're already starting to reduce lending to Chinese nationals buying in foreign countries.

The warning signs are there already. Sit back and watch property investors pump and dump... ensuing domino effect. There will be lots of tears, especially from those with high debt-to-income ratios and mortaged up to the hilt

2008 will be like a walk in the park
In that case I worry about my savings and investments. Seems like a no win!

Thanks for the reply though
Old Sep 13th 2016, 8:23 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

If unemployment picks up (the Reserve Bank of New Zealand isn't duel mandate, they just target CPI stability and not employment) then debt servicing could get difficult. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that if half your household income goes towards repaying your home loan you'll be in a pickle if your income is reduced or you are unemployed. My feeling is most people don't have a couple of years worth of savings to keep the repayments up if we go through a period of high unemployment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.