2 Years Today!!!

Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:57 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up 2 Years Today!!!

Our first year anniversary got buggered up by daughter number 2 who broke her leg the day before it! But here we are another year on and this time no broken bones!!

As most people know (and are no doubt sick of) we love it here and it has worked out for us really well. We did research the area thoroughly and visit before settling on it and for us we wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Our only negatives have been pretty minor;

Not desperately impressed with the eldest daughter's school - but she's 16 and may have outgrown it anyway to be honest. If she chooses to look at "vocational" training instead we won't stand in her way. The primary school we have had the others at we probably wouldn't use for their intermediate stage for the younger two - you live and learn!

We are both currently not earning, and NZ is not a country in which you want to be applying for bog standard jobs with no Kiwi experience. And you soon get through your capital which isn't really for everyday living. But that's ok, we're setting up a new business and that's one thing that this country caters for very well. Less red tape, lots of help and advice (all free), mentors etc, etc.

We haven't done half the things or been to half the places we said we would - we just run out of time. You're not on holiday so all the mundane things and schooling tends to dictate the pace wherever you live. But the weather, beaches, scenery and social life mean staying home is always good anyway!

Our social life and the friends we have made here, both through work (I was working previously), BE and out and about have helped enormously in making us the happiest we have been for many, many years!

To those researching the move, don't underestimate the hoops you have to jump through to get the process sorted. Try not to stress about the length of time it's all taking - you can't control that, so why stress it?! If it's meant to be it'll be ...

So join me in a glass of Bolly (I'm not that broke ... yet) to many more happy years and to all the Ex-pats here and hoping to get here!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:00 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 Years Today!!!

Haha your post's made me giggle AL. Love the bit about the bolly - know what you mean too Congratulations and good luck with the business - there are so many opportunities here if you've got the b***s to go for them
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Batty
Haha your post's made me giggle AL. Love the bit about the bolly - know what you mean too Congratulations and good luck with the business - there are so many opportunities here if you've got the b***s to go for them
Thanks very much!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats..what's the new business venture or is it still under wraps?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Di and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really nice

congrats!!!! That gives me an excuse to open the bottle of wine in the fridge and give you a toast
Old Apr 9th 2009, 12:33 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Loolah- our second anniversay was bittersweet as we were crossing the Tasman at the time!

IRRVs next then

Wishing you many more happy NZ anniversaries
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:29 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Anniversary Caroline

We have been through soooo much of this journey together ( especially in the Kiwi Bar) and I am so gald that we have all gone the distance.

Here's to the next 2 years hun, may they be good ones for all of us and who know's maybe one day we will meet each other

Bolly for you and a Savvy for me please barman.....
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Huge congratulations on the 2 year anniversary, and it's great to hear you still being so happy & posiive about your life over here.
Good luck wih the new business venture
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:06 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to you and yours Caroline!

Must say that had I posted on the same issue then it would have read pretty much the same, although MrsL is gainfully employed part-time and keeping us solvent

We beat you to the 2nd anniversary by a couple of months (on our hols at the time) and our very similar adventure was/is going so well that I've not posted for quite a while............

Here's to many more good years for us all
Old Apr 10th 2009, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

God, has it only been 2 years. It`s felt like a hell of a lot longer than that.

Well done to you and Dave who I`m sure will be really chuffed at getting a mention on expats and well done to you for all the help and positive comments that you put into this site.
You`re my favorite fairy
So it`s time for a meet up in the school hols eh?
Ash
Old Apr 10th 2009, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to you all,glad to see you are still loving life in NZ even though things may not have gone how you planned re jobs but fingers xd for your new venture.

Phyl x
Old Apr 10th 2009, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ash1
So it`s time for a meet up in the school hols eh?
Ash
Ummmm, go on then ...

Thanks all!
Old Apr 13th 2009, 3:34 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Our first year anniversary got buggered up by daughter number 2 who broke her leg the day before it! But here we are another year on and this time no broken bones!!

As most people know (and are no doubt sick of) we love it here and it has worked out for us really well. We did research the area thoroughly and visit before settling on it and for us we wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Our only negatives have been pretty minor;

Not desperately impressed with the eldest daughter's school - but she's 16 and may have outgrown it anyway to be honest. If she chooses to look at "vocational" training instead we won't stand in her way. The primary school we have had the others at we probably wouldn't use for their intermediate stage for the younger two - you live and learn!

We are both currently not earning, and NZ is not a country in which you want to be applying for bog standard jobs with no Kiwi experience. And you soon get through your capital which isn't really for everyday living. But that's ok, we're setting up a new business and that's one thing that this country caters for very well. Less red tape, lots of help and advice (all free), mentors etc, etc.

We haven't done half the things or been to half the places we said we would - we just run out of time. You're not on holiday so all the mundane things and schooling tends to dictate the pace wherever you live. But the weather, beaches, scenery and social life mean staying home is always good anyway!

Our social life and the friends we have made here, both through work (I was working previously), BE and out and about have helped enormously in making us the happiest we have been for many, many years!

To those researching the move, don't underestimate the hoops you have to jump through to get the process sorted. Try not to stress about the length of time it's all taking - you can't control that, so why stress it?! If it's meant to be it'll be ...

So join me in a glass of Bolly (I'm not that broke ... yet) to many more happy years and to all the Ex-pats here and hoping to get here!
Sorry Am Loolah, I don't know where you are, but we, (better bit and me), find NZ authorities attitude to SME's to be an absolutely disgusting one. Having run businesses in Wales and here I can honestly say there is a heap more help in Wales than there is here. Perhaps it's better where you are and good for you if it is, but an example for you.

I made a mistake on a GST return which I did on-line. I called them immediately to tell them. The mistake was in their favour, not mine, so if I shut my mouth I'd have been better off. Yet I was given the third degree and fined for filing an incorrect return. The fine was overturned on appeal but that's not the point. Where is the help there?

Anyway best of luck with your business.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

congrats on your last 2 years, so glad they have been happy ones for you , sorry i took so long i mean to post every day i come on lol

some karma on its way

caz
Old Apr 15th 2009, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Ummmm, go on then ...

Thanks all!

Well done guys!! I remember you coming here initially and all the pre arrival posts....all the stuff about how bad things had gotten your way..didn't you mention about things had got that bad kiddies prams were being nicked from front gardens..or am I going mad?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.