British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   2 years and 9 months in... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/2-years-9-months-522309/)

SarahB Mar 17th 2008 7:12 am

2 years and 9 months in...

Yep, we've been here for 2 years and 9 months, as you've probably guessed already. I posted a 1 year update.... why didn't I post a 2 year update? Well, I had post natal depression last year.... I wasn't in a particularly good way and didn't feel it fair to do an update. I feel 99% OK now so its time to let you know how we are getting on.

We still love Beachlands.... I loved it from the first time I came here, sometimes you just know eh? I sold my tiny house in South Lincs a year after we moved here and managed to put down a good deposit on this old house we have now, pay off all our debts and buy myself a new-ish car too. Then last January my OH decided to cut his last tie with England too and put his house up for sale, it sold straight away like mine did and we still have that money sitting in a Westpac GBP account here. We are waiting for the old dollar to weaken and then finally we will be mortgage free (fingers crossed).... our mortgage is pretty huge at the moment. :(

We came here with our 19 month old son who is now 4 and at morning kindy all week, he loves it. I ummed and ahhed about getting preggo again (horrible experience first time) and then hey presto, we are pregnant after 1 month off the pill.... :lol: We had our little kiwi princess last January, she is great and our family is complete. I have to be honest and say that if I had still been living back in Peterborough I would never have even thought about having another baby.... yes it was really that bad what they did to me!:ohmy:

My OH joined the volunteer Fire Fighters here, well.... the station is literally across the road. My son loves watching the Fire Engines go out... that blasted siren is a bit loud though! Hes been there a couple of years now and has done all sorts of things with them.... he even managed a helicopter ride last week... lucky sod! :D When we were in Peterborough he wasn't allowed to join the volunteers as he wears contact lenses, here it is fine so long as he wears them! I cant see us even moving back to the UK as he loves his volunteer work so much, he'd miss it just too much.

We keep a horse here but as a full time mother of 2 pre-schoolers I don't get to see him very often. Luckily the horses live out 24/7 here in Auckland so no mucking out... and the yard manager checks them for you twice a day. The riding where I keep him is lovely, you can ride round the mangroves and down onto the beach and its simply beautiful, I feel at peace down there and always wonder at the beautiful place we now live in.

My parents have been out twice now and think we are so lucky to live here... they miss us of course but wouldn't want us ever to move back as they agree that its better for the kids here.

.... and as some of you know, we are the ones who had full central heating put in our house.... yep, we hate being even slightly cold! It took months and months to be shipped from Italy and a few K over what we budgeted but its so worth it!

The weather here is much nicer than where we lived in the UK. This summer has been totally fantastic, its still gorgeous now in Autumn and we have only had 2 wet weekends lately. Houses in Beachlands have rain water tanks, the water companies have certainly been busy this summer.

We love it here, I don't miss UK at all now. I miss my family of course but that is the only downside of living here that I can think of. No, we don't think NZ is perfect either, but now we can laugh at the things that bug us... we just kinda expect it.... my OH says NZ is kinda half-arsed.... everything is half-arsed here according to him.

So the move worked for us, and no we had never been here before, we just did lots of research. Good luck to all of you who are thinking about or making the move. We don't regret our move here one bit. We are happy here.:D

Nerine Mar 17th 2008 7:17 am

Re: 2 years and 9 months in...

Lovely post, long may it continue for you.

Genesis Mar 17th 2008 8:01 am

Originally Posted by SarahB (Post 6072716)
Yep, we've been here for 2 years and 9 months, as you've probably guessed already. I posted a 1 year update.... why didn't I post a 2 year update? Well, I had post natal depression last year.... I wasn't in a particularly good way and didn't feel it fair to do an update. I feel 99% OK now so its time to let you know how we are getting on.

We still love Beachlands.... I loved it from the first time I came here, sometimes you just know eh? I sold my tiny house in South Lincs a year after we moved here and managed to put down a good deposit on this old house we have now, pay off all our debts and buy myself a new-ish car too. Then last January my OH decided to cut his last tie with England too and put his house up for sale, it sold straight away like mine did and we still have that money sitting in a Westpac GBP account here. We are waiting for the old dollar to weaken and then finally we will be mortgage free (fingers crossed).... our mortgage is pretty huge at the moment. :(

We came here with our 19 month old son who is now 4 and at morning kindy all week, he loves it. I ummed and ahhed about getting preggo again (horrible experience first time) and then hey presto, we are pregnant after 1 month off the pill.... :lol: We had our little kiwi princess last January, she is great and our family is complete. I have to be honest and say that if I had still been living back in Peterborough I would never have even thought about having another baby.... yes it was really that bad what they did to me!:ohmy:

My OH joined the volunteer Fire Fighters here, well.... the station is literally across the road. My son loves watching the Fire Engines go out... that blasted siren is a bit loud though! Hes been there a couple of years now and has done all sorts of things with them.... he even managed a helicopter ride last week... lucky sod! :D When we were in Peterborough he wasn't allowed to join the volunteers as he wears contact lenses, here it is fine so long as he wears them! I cant see us even moving back to the UK as he loves his volunteer work so much, he'd miss it just too much.

We keep a horse here but as a full time mother of 2 pre-schoolers I don't get to see him very often. Luckily the horses live out 24/7 here in Auckland so no mucking out... and the yard manager checks them for you twice a day. The riding where I keep him is lovely, you can ride round the mangroves and down onto the beach and its simply beautiful, I feel at peace down there and always wonder at the beautiful place we now live in.

My parents have been out twice now and think we are so lucky to live here... they miss us of course but wouldn't want us ever to move back as they agree that its better for the kids here.

.... and as some of you know, we are the ones who had full central heating put in our house.... yep, we hate being even slightly cold! It took months and months to be shipped from Italy and a few K over what we budgeted but its so worth it!

The weather here is much nicer than where we lived in the UK. This summer has been totally fantastic, its still gorgeous now in Autumn and we have only had 2 wet weekends lately. Houses in Beachlands have rain water tanks, the water companies have certainly been busy this summer.

We love it here, I don't miss UK at all now. I miss my family of course but that is the only downside of living here that I can think of. No, we don't think NZ is perfect either, but now we can laugh at the things that bug us... we just kinda expect it.... my OH says NZ is kinda half-arsed.... everything is half-arsed here according to him.

So the move worked for us, and no we had never been here before, we just did lots of research. Good luck to all of you who are thinking about or making the move. We don't regret our move here one bit. We are happy here.:D

Wow, 2 NZ's great posts in one day........

NZ deserves a high 5! Great place for a new life. If I had been born here I am not sure if I could spend my total life here..however having come from euorpe having served over 45 years there, NZ is a really fantastic contrast..and just what I needed!!!!!

I may well rest my hat here until the final curtain beckons.
It's THAT good 'ere.

lardyl Mar 17th 2008 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 6072730)
Lovely post, long may it continue for you.

amen :thumbup:
and thanks for all your advice and encouragement over the years Sarah.

karonious Mar 17th 2008 8:08 am

Lovely post Sarah :cool:
Glad to hear you are feeling better these days.........and warm with it :thumbsup:
Long may it continue,
Karen

SarahB Mar 17th 2008 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 6072825)
Wow, 2 NZ's great posts in one day........

NZ deserves a high 5! Great place for a new life. If I had been born here I am not sure if I could spend my total life here..however having come from euorpe having served over 45 years there, NZ is a really fantastic contrast..and just what I needed!!!!!

I may well rest my hat here until the final curtain beckons.
It's THAT good 'ere.

It was your post that prompted me to do mine! :) Ive been meaning too for a while but have started painting in the evenings and I get carried away... :D so not on here too often now. I also wanted to make sure I felt OK again before doing it.... Hey I can do another update in 3 months time! :D

Marika 38 Mar 17th 2008 10:40 am

What a lovley "so far" story, you sound very happy, glad all is well with you and your family. :) :)

helinuk Mar 17th 2008 9:34 pm

Hi Sarah
great to see you're feeling better and enjoying life here. Come down to BOP and visit us sometime. Can't believe it's been a year since we visited you on our recce, time has flown by. Give your gorgeous children big hugs from me :)
Helen

Batty Mar 17th 2008 9:53 pm

Ah Sarah, what a lovely post :thumbup: Cool on the central heating too :D I hope you have many, many happy years to come :wub:

BEVS Mar 17th 2008 10:15 pm

Superb post. I thoroughly enjoyed the catch up. So uplifting. :thumbsup:

I'm also looking forward to read how you find the central heating over the winter. You know I :wub: the idea of it here.

Am Loolah Mar 17th 2008 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 6076269)
Superb post. I thoroughly enjoyed the catch up. So uplifting. :thumbsup:

I'm also looking forward to read how you find the central heating over the winter. You know I :wub: the idea of it here.

Awww, Sarah, what a lovely post - so good to hear things are all good and swet as ....

Long may it continue. :thumbsup:

I_Will_Freckle Mar 18th 2008 12:09 am

fantastic post - great to hear that things are working out.

Biddy Mar 18th 2008 4:45 am

I suppose I'd better do a " 2 and a half years in" post but it'd be very similar to Sarah's (without the pregnancy bits) and Dom's without the living in Palmy bits. (Hi Sarah and Dom by the way)

Anyway life is lovely. Stress free. Wonderful views every day. Fresh eggs each morning. Kids happy and busy and safe. Telly's rubbish. Motorways are like B roads. Weather's fab (28C at the moment!!) People are friendly. People smile a lot. Cafe culture is great. Pubs aren't so hot though. Lots of +ves and a few -ves. Not paradise but fairly close.

For those of you that haven't done it yet.

Do it!

Genesis Mar 18th 2008 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Biddy (Post 6077331)
I suppose I'd better do a " 2 and a half years in" post but it'd be very similar to Sarah's (without the pregnancy bits) and Dom's without the living in Palmy bits. (Hi Sarah and Dom by the way)

Anyway life is lovely. Stress free. Wonderful views every day. Fresh eggs each morning. Kids happy and busy and safe. Telly's rubbish. Motorways are like B roads. Weather's fab (28C at the moment!!) People are friendly. People smile a lot. Cafe culture is great. Pubs aren't so hot though. Lots of +ves and a few -ves. Not paradise but fairly close.

For those of you that haven't done it yet.

Do it!

Good here innit??

NZ rocks, what?

How you doing Mike? Still up for going up the volcano with kith and kin come August time for a fall over??

Biddy Mar 18th 2008 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 6077445)
Good here innit??

NZ rocks, what?

How you doing Mike? Still up for going up the volcano with kith and kin come August time for a fall over??

Sounds good to me but no definite plans as yet. Is chez Timmon serving coffee this week?