Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

2 weeks left in New Zealand.

2 weeks left in New Zealand.

Old Nov 8th 2011, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Moliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really nice
Default Re: 2 weeks left in New Zealand.

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Good luck to you Moliknickers, look forward to hearing your reflections when you get settled back in the UK.

Quite honestly we have nothing here that we didn't have in the UK, except for money worries.

The views from the places that we spend 99% of our life; home, garden, office, other people's house or shops, certainly ain't nothing to write home about and may as well be Milton Keynes / Basingstoke or any suburban sprawl in the world.
Same for us but we do have the beautiful Wiltshire countryside to look at and a community to return to...and a lot more disposable income.The grass just aint greener here...not for us anyway..
Old Nov 8th 2011, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know
Ah yes, world famous Kiwi expression: 'We don't know, what we don't know!'

That expression is high up there on the bullshit bingo scorecard, very close alongside 'It is what it is.'

One who doesn't know and doesn't know that he doesn't know... he will be eternally lost in hopeless oblivion!
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Addictedtosushi
Its 2 weeks until we leave NZ and also head back to the UK.I have so many mixed emotions after living here for nearly 8 years and having 3 babies.

I am going to miss that my kids can run round with no shoes on,the weather and the scenery and outdoor lifestyle, but like you I can not live on this stuff and thats why we are going back just cannot make ends meet here.
All the very best to you too Addictedtosushi.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Addictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BEVS
All the very best to you too Addictedtosushi.
Thanks Bevs.

Its going to be strange as going back to parents house to stay the same house we left to start our journey to NZ nearly 8 years ago.

But I don't regret anything I am going back a little less well off but this experience has been great for us all especially our older kids.And I would say to anyone who is considering the move do it as it really broadens your kids minds.

Plus another thing you really need to live in another country and experience their way of life to realise how spoilt you are in the UK.What with NHS,good wages,Europe on your doorstep,cheap food,e.t.c........................
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Plus another thing you really need to live in another country and experience their way of life to realise how spoilt you are in the UK.What with NHS,good wages,Europe on your doorstep,cheap food,e.t.c........................
Very true that is, fickle things that we are, sometimes we just don't know where we're well off.

Hope all goes well for you back in the UK.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

All the very best to you both as you head back to Blighty. And best wishes for the future. I hope you will keep us updated on how you are doing.

I have a love-hate relationship with NZ but then I did with the UK too . My name should be Mary, as I'm most contrary.

If I left NZ I would miss my friends, living by the sea (doubt we'd be able to afford it in the UK), kayaking, volunteering at the theatre, growing citrus fruit in the garden, the short winters & the spa pool in the garden
Old Nov 9th 2011, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Addictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Very true that is, fickle things that we are, sometimes we just don't know where we're well off.

Hope all goes well for you back in the UK.
Thanks Bo just hope I don't get some armchair critics asking me why I have come back to this dump as the country is going down the pan and that I would have been much better off staying in NZ.

If only they knew..............
Old Nov 9th 2011, 10:15 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I would miss the s-p-a-c-e and cleanness, not the open space of the countryside (cos I love the British countryside ) but more the urban space- the parks and more laid out, low rise, unhurried, easy feel. I felt claustrophobic, stressed and grubby in Bristol last time I visited. I'd miss only missing my family I'd miss the feeling of security I get here- for me and my family it just feels safer and less pressured.

I'd miss my cheap uni fees. I'd miss cicadas and lemon trees and long pacific summers and tuis and hot springs. And of course the sky! And I'd miss Australia forever flashing her knickers at me and whispering temptations in my ear ...

All totally subjective though because it depends what your reality of UK was and what your reality of NZ is!

Originally Posted by Moliknickers
We return a little poorer but richer for the experienceI suppose we were lucky we had jobs and an income from our house (no mortgage) just became a big adventure really, managed to get to Sydney and Rarotonga and will travel to Bali on the way home.Caught up with the Kiwi cousins here and lived a different life for a while.We go back to the house and village we left.Yes it does cost a lot to do this IMO, however to me it's all about what you do with your life not what you got
Aww, wish you all the very best for your return and settling back in and the lovely feeling of being surrounded by family at Christmas

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix

I have a love-hate relationship with NZ but then I did with the UK too
Ditto!
Old Nov 9th 2011, 10:18 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bo just hope I don't get some armchair critics asking me why I have come back to this dump as the country is going down the pan and that I would have been much better off staying in NZ.

If only they knew..............
You will get that, but then binning Britain is part of the British psyche, in the same way that bigging up NZ is part of Kiwi's, I think. Just nod and smile.

I don't agree with the last sentence though- it's all subjective, some of them would like it and some would not. Good luck to you too for your return- I love it when the plane circles London and I get all excited seeing it laid out!
Old Nov 9th 2011, 11:41 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

another thing you really need to live in another country and experience their way of life to realise how spoilt you are in the UK.What with NHS,good wages,Europe on your doorstep,cheap food,e.t.c........................[/QUOTE]

+1......and how
Old Nov 10th 2011, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Moliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really nice
Smile Re: 2 weeks left in New Zealand.

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I would miss the s-p-a-c-e and cleanness, not the open space of the countryside (cos I love the British countryside ) but more the urban space- the parks and more laid out, low rise, unhurried, easy feel. I felt claustrophobic, stressed and grubby in Bristol last time I visited. I'd miss only missing my family I'd miss the feeling of security I get here- for me and my family it just feels safer and less pressured.

I'd miss my cheap uni fees. I'd miss cicadas and lemon trees and long pacific summers and tuis and hot springs. And of course the sky! And I'd miss Australia forever flashing her knickers at me and whispering temptations in my ear ...

All totally subjective though because it depends what your reality of UK was and what your reality of NZ is!

Aww, wish you all the very best for your return and settling back in and the lovely feeling of being surrounded by family at Christmas

Ditto!
Sadly I leave all the close family I have here, two cousins, their families and my half sister, all kiwis. I shall miss them dearly but as a born and raised pom, Christmas with good friends in England will be great!
Old Nov 10th 2011, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

I would miss the winter sun here in the South Island as I have actually sat out in winter under a sun umbrella and nowhere in England could I do that. The winters there are sooooooo dreary! At least when you know it is a hard frost that the sun will be shining all day. Not like the foggy weeks and weeks back home.

Good luck on going home. NZ is not for everyone
Old Nov 10th 2011, 2:50 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Shirl,
Are you all right ? My present screen name is Ray and Debbie rather than Debbi****. This is because Debbi**** was from my work e-mail which I assume has now been deleted. I left in February, I guess they got round to it eventually !
Anyway, sorry the aftershocks are giving you grief. I saw the funeral/requiem I mean de-consecration of Christchurch Cathedral on the news yesterday.
All is ok here in Wanganui. I've yet to find work but I keep looking. We purchased a house on 2 September so there's plenty to do since we moved in.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 3:00 am
---

Originally Posted by Moliknickers
Sadly I leave all the close family I have here, two cousins, their families and my half sister, all kiwis. I shall miss them dearly but as a born and raised pom, Christmas with good friends in England will be great!
Oh that's a shame but it does give you eternal free accommodation for hols here if the chocolate fish cravings get unbearable! Let us know how you get on
Old Nov 10th 2011, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
Hello Shirl,
Are you all right ? My present screen name is Ray and Debbie rather than Debbi****. This is because Debbi**** was from my work e-mail which I assume has now been deleted. I left in February, I guess they got round to it eventually !
Anyway, sorry the aftershocks are giving you grief. I saw the funeral/requiem I mean de-consecration of Christchurch Cathedral on the news yesterday.
All is ok here in Wanganui. I've yet to find work but I keep looking. We purchased a house on 2 September so there's plenty to do since we moved in.
Oh Hi Deb

Great to hear you have now purchased, we are both fine. Same old same old here, not long got back from USA visiting our Son, had a great time, now back in the same old routine and Christmas just around the corner. Still we are getting stuck in to re-modelling the garden against the hot hot sun of summer and looking to get some shade sails put up. Hope you get a job soon and I am sure the house will keep you busy busy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.