Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

2 weeks in Birkdale!

2 weeks in Birkdale!

Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

moffsgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool 2 weeks in Birkdale!

Hi My name is Mags and I've been here in Birkdale Auckland for two whole weeks! Moved out to be with my Very Lovely and Patient partner who is a Kiwi.
Have to confess I've had the 'wobbles' already!
Came from very busy independent life to feeling completely invisible - am looking for work (I'm a teacher) but no luck so far!
I'm looking for things to do and clubs to join - I like creative writing! but so far my only leads have proved fruitless as everything is winding down for the Summer - and I'm a bit limited transport wise as I've not got a car yet.

I read Paul Goddard's 'New Life in New Zealand' yesterday and that did make me feel a bit better that my strange irrational (for me!) feelings were not limited to me!!

Would be great to hear from anyone with any tips or suggestions of things for me to try!
Thanks
M
Old Nov 10th 2007, 2:47 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 weeks in Birkdale!

Originally Posted by moffsgirl
Hi My name is Mags and I've been here in Birkdale Auckland for two whole weeks! Moved out to be with my Very Lovely and Patient partner who is a Kiwi.
Have to confess I've had the 'wobbles' already!
Came from very busy independent life to feeling completely invisible - am looking for work (I'm a teacher) but no luck so far!
I'm looking for things to do and clubs to join - I like creative writing! but so far my only leads have proved fruitless as everything is winding down for the Summer - and I'm a bit limited transport wise as I've not got a car yet.

I read Paul Goddard's 'New Life in New Zealand' yesterday and that did make me feel a bit better that my strange irrational (for me!) feelings were not limited to me!!

Would be great to hear from anyone with any tips or suggestions of things for me to try!
Thanks
M
Hi Welcome to the site. I'm not in NZ but just wanted to let you know its only natural you've got a few wobbles. It's that thing called cultural shock that sometimes knocks us off balance now and then. It happens to us all no matter how prepared we think we are
Old Nov 10th 2007, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

Hi Mags, welcome. Sounds like its not such a good time to be looking for a job a the mo so just enjoy your new home for now. Enjoy the sunshine, the beaches and the lovely regional parks here in Auckland. I love it here, feels like I'm on my holidays every weekend Good luck and enjoy! Carol
Old Nov 10th 2007, 8:35 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Hi Welcome to the site. I'm not in NZ but just wanted to let you know its only natural you've got a few wobbles. It's that thing called cultural shock that sometimes knocks us off balance now and then. It happens to us all no matter how prepared we think we are
think of it like altitude sickness that can (and often does) strike the fittest, youngest and strongest ---- although you are now quite a long way "down", rather than "up". Good luck in sunny (now) Auckland, the weather must get better and things must improve for you - as far as the creative writing thing goes you could enquire at the local library the volunteers and staff there are usually a mine of information
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:26 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

This site lists the libraries around Auckland BTW:
http://www.fis.org.nz/index.php?area...d&app=BreakOut
also lists scholarships for post-grad diplomas in education somewhere there for those of us considering teaching
Old Nov 11th 2007, 1:06 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your replies!
I got talking to an English lady in the library of all places and she said very much the same thing!

Very relieved that I haven't completely lost it and it is only natural!
Am not giving in - I'm a Lancashire lass by origin and definately not a quitter!!

But thanks for your kind words and thoughts ... Really appreciated
Old Nov 11th 2007, 1:54 am

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point

I know that you're wanting paid work, but if you wanted to consider doing something voluntary to 'get you out there/meet people' for a while try this site:

http://volunteernow.org.nz/jobs/

Good luck.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 2:01 am

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point

Might be something here of interest too

http://www.authors.org.nz/info_for_w...ing_groups.htm
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:02 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

do you like walks or anything?
you could join your local branch of Forest & Bird. There is usually quite a range of people involved (not just the blue rinsers - though there are a fair few of those) and you could meet people

www.forestandbird.org.nz and go to the 'enjoying nature' or branches bit.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Again many many thanks!
Will be following up your ideas...
Am feeling totally different to this time last week! Which can only be a good thing - don't worry I know there'll be more rollercoasting to come - but at least I know to expect it now

Will let you know how I get on!