2 faces of Expats

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 11:35 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all
Default 2 faces of Expats

Isn't life strange. I am one of life's listeners rather than talker, so I look and I listen and what I'm hearing I feel falls into 2 categories.

Expats who settle well, have pride in their heritage and want others to settle well, are prepared to acknowledge good and bad, generally make friends with Expats as well as some Kiwi's.

AND

Expats who feel the need to disassociate themselves with everything and everyone dare I say the word 'British'. Run a mile (sorry kilometer) when they hear a British accent ( not literally). Feel that to 'assimilate' into another country is to deny their heritage, call the UK from 'a pig to a dog', put down those who haven't found settling in easy and condemning those who dare to criticize any aspect of life in NZ. (probably a bit strong on the wording).

Why do we need to do this, can't we assimilate without disassociating.

Please, you are entitled to disagree with everything and anything I have written.

Yes I do know their will be other 'faces', life is not black and white, there are those who will not fall into either of these categories, I don't

Proud to be British, proud to be living in NZ and will be proud when I meet the criteria for citizenship.

Be happy folks I am
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 faces of Expats

Originally Posted by howden40
Isn't life strange. I am one of life's listeners rather than talker, so I look and I listen and what I'm hearing I feel falls into 2 categories.

Expats who settle well, have pride in their heritage and want others to settle well, are prepared to acknowledge good and bad, generally make friends with Expats as well as some Kiwi's.

AND

Expats who feel the need to disassociate themselves with everything and everyone dare I say the word 'British'. Run a mile (sorry kilometer) when they hear a British accent ( not literally). Feel that to 'assimilate' into another country is to deny their heritage, call the UK from 'a pig to a dog', put down those who haven't found settling in easy and condemning those who dare to criticize any aspect of life in NZ. (probably a bit strong on the wording).

Please, you are entitled to disagree with everything and anything I have written.

Yes I do know their will be other 'faces', life is not black and white, there are those who will not fall into either of these categories, I don't

Proud to be British, proud to be living in NZ and will be proud when I meet the criteria for citizenship.

Be happy folks I am

I think many on here are variants of the first category.

The second category is smaller, but their unpleasantness makes their presence linger. Their numbers seem to have dwindled recently for some reason.

The variety keeps the board entertaining, if nothing else.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 11:30 pm
Banned

cathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nicecathyc is just really nice

I think I fall more into the first group except we didn't want to settle and saw more bad than good in the country. I love Britain and would go back there like a shot if the chance came up but until then we're in the next best place. I hate hearing people call the UK, it's not all bad.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:30 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I agree there are different motivations for moving from the Uk- but I am unconvinced it actually changes the process or outcomes at all. However much the second group may suffer from 'rose tinted glasses' or 'grass is greener' syndromes, that is probably offset by their increased overall motivation.

...put down those who haven't found settling in easy and condemning those who dare to criticize any aspect of life in NZ. (probably a bit strong on the wording).

I agree the wording is a bit strong. The one person who probably comes to mind as fitting into that second category, actually has a pretty balanced set of posts to their name. On occasion they have had personal differences with other posters when the debate has got heated (from both sides), but that should be seen for what it is - a robust discussion of different views that sometimes got too personal.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 2:36 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - one more thing, it is equally acceptable for individuals to either love or loathe the UK, or NZ (and that applies to native borns and expats).

Fortunately in this day and age (in the global village) we can often move if we don't like somewhere.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Pretty accurate categories if you ask me. Like you say nothing's ever black and white but I can see elements of that in a lot of people I know (including myself).

I think there's actually a 3rd category as well. There's definitely elements in NZ who want to live in a 'Little Britain' and only aim to make friends with Brits and live in a British-dominated area. (Though you do see this of all nationalities in countries all over the world too).

Personally I'm not really bothered who I make friends with - whether they're Kiwis, English, etc. It's best to be open-minded. In fact I've even got a French friend over here

I love life here and would definitely consider myself as having assimilated. However I do not consider myself 'Kiwi'. Alright I wear jandals, my driving standards are getting progressively worse and I wear shorts lot more - but I'll always be English and proud of it!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:52 am
Just Joined

dustylegs11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that it is more about the type of person that you are to start off with. You are generally either warm, caring, open minded, easy going and nice. Or more of a hard, stern, sharp, set in your ways and not so nice person. That is the case for every race. Then when people move around and have to start again, placed in an alien surrounding, no friends, no routine, then is it any wonder that feelings run high. I would love to think that everyone is the warm, caring, open minded, easy going and nice type. But let’s face it; it’s not going to happen. People are always going to disagree and rub each other up the wrong way. Saying things which others will take offence to, even if you do not intend to do that. Different places and different faces can and does change us all, some for the better, and some not so. I think that if some people love their motherland so much then should they have left in the first place? Open minded and a sense of adventure is what is needed if you chose to move anywhere be it France, England, New Zealand, Germany or anywhere. You will only find that little slice of England in England.

She runs and hides for cover…………….
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:25 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dustylegs11
I think that it is more about the type of person cOr more of a hard, stern, sharp, set in your ways and not so nice person. That is the case for every race. Then when people move around and have to start again, placed in an alien surrounding, no friends, no routine, then is it any wonder that feelings run high. I would love to think that everyone is the warm, caring, open minded, easy going and nice type. But let’s face it; it’s not going to happen. People are always going to disagree and rub each other up the wrong way. Saying things which others will take offence to, even if you do not intend to do that. Different places and different faces can and does change us all, some for the better, and some not so. I think that if some people love their motherland so much then should they have left in the first place? Open minded and a sense of adventure is what is needed if you chose to move anywhere be it France, England, New Zealand, Germany or anywhere. You will only find that little slice of England in England.

I am all of those; warm, caring, open minded, easy going and nice ... oh, and a little "wonky donkey" too ...

I am all of those; warm, caring, open minded, easy going and nice ... oh, and a little "wonky donkey" too ...

And I think I've taken to NZ like a duck to water ...
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:31 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

AND

Be happy folks I am
Interesting but what about the people that don't settle at all. What category do they fall into?
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:13 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Thank you all

I had thought after posting this thread that I may have to 'button down the hatches' and prepare for a storm. My children had commented when they read my comments that they had never known me to be so contriversial.

Contriversy was not my intention, I merely hoped those who fall into the 2nd category would think about their actions.

If were truthful we all have a little of both. I for one 'shrink' when I hear a British accent causing a 'ruckus' over what I class as trivial.

Keep on reading, keep on thinking, keep on growing as people
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:24 am
lionheart

[QUOTE=waynepfry;6428239]Pretty accurate categories if you ask me. Like you say nothing's ever black and white but I can see elements of that in a lot of people I know (including myself).

I think there's actually a 3rd category as well. There's definitely elements in NZ who want to live in a 'Little Britain' and only aim to make friends with Brits and live in a British-dominated area. (Though you do see this of all nationalities in countries all over the world too).

Yes, you have 'Little Britain' everywhere. It depends why you move, some just move for sea and sun rather than a new life which means embracing new cultures (fortunate people with funds to do so).

Little communities which build up I feel mainly occur due to language barriers, when you move to where your native tongue is not the native language it's easier to group together. In NZ that's not the case even though it's not the native language English is the 1st language.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:29 am
lionheart

Originally Posted by joggerfan
You really cannot pigeon hole expats in two categories!
You are so right, as I said life is not black and white and not everyone will fit into these categories. But it's nice to have that aspect emphasized.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:37 am
lionheart

I think that it is more about the type of person that you are to start off with.

So true

No need to run
Be happy
Old Jun 4th 2008, 6:23 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say that i claim no responsibility for the dustyness of your legs!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:56 am
Just Joined

dustylegs11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice one Dustybin