British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   1st Kiwi Christmas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/1st-kiwi-christmas-781553/)

MrsFychan Dec 25th 2012 9:57 am

1st Kiwi Christmas

done and dusted and what a scorcher it was to. Kids got to play out in togs, water hose and Nerf guns (great buy :D) to much food and drink as you do, so would say a great time was had by all.

Hope you have/having/had a great time where ever you are :thumbsup:

Sherlock Holmes Dec 25th 2012 11:58 am

Re: 1st Kiwi Christmas

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10449951)
done and dusted and what a scorcher it was to. Kids got to play out in togs, water hose and Nerf guns (great buy :D) to much food and drink as you do, so would say a great time was had by all.

Hope you have/having/had a great time where ever you are :thumbsup:

A lovely day. Sunny, 25, very quiet. Even the ferals just down the street have been good. :thumbsup:

Sherlock Holmes Dec 25th 2012 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes (Post 10450007)
A lovely day. Sunny, 25, very quiet. Even the ferals just down the street have been good. :thumbsup:

In two minutes here, it's all over.

Snap Shot Dec 25th 2012 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes (Post 10450007)
Even the ferals just down the street have been good. :thumbsup:

Yup, same here. Just the obligatory traffic cones put up a tree outside our house on Christmas Eve at 1.30am. A neighbour helped me get the traffic cones down after breakfast and he took them back to outside his property where his driveway is being resurfaced.

It was actually our second kiwi Christmas (well, third if you want to be picky) but the second one in our house. Why did it just feel like the first though ? Still coming to terms with the foreign - ness of it, that feeling of it being so totally alien to the UK Christmases I used to know.

Anyway, we had breakfast of bucks fizz, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs followed by opening of Christmas Presents. Marvellous.

Apart from that it was cooking a roast chicken with all the trimmings in 29deg C of heat for lunch. No surrender ! Plenty of Pimms and lemonade to help me stay cool though ! We closed the windows and had our air conditioning on over lunch so it felt a little less like a jungle in the tropics.

We crashed out on the sofa after lunch. After we woke up we cleared up from lunch. Watched a bit of telly. Had some sherry trifle. Went for a walk in the new jandals (flip flops) and sleeveless top my MIL bought me. Then back home for supper and more t.v.

lisamct Dec 25th 2012 8:35 pm

My first Kiwi xmas I spend working a 12hr shift which sucked.

This year I was woken at 3am by one of my ladies in labour and went on to catch (well actually stand aside while a tearful new dad caught) our units only xmas baby about 7.30am.

Then home for a few hours catch up on sleep before heading to a friends for food, drink (just one cause I'm still on call) and watching Zombieland so not so bad considering!

love30stm Dec 25th 2012 9:17 pm

Had a lovely Christmas apart from sweltering in the heat cooking dinner, was actually over 30c in Wangas :p just loved spending the time with husband and my two daughters actually felt Christmassy in a weird way :lol: talked to a few friends on Skype one in Napier and one in America

Spend lots of time in the gazebo drinking and eating, peaceful around our area apart from possums squealing in the distance :)

Daughters slept out in the gazebo last night under the stars, loved it and we are maybe going for a dip in the sea Boxing Day later if the rain holds up

I'm happy in my little world with my family and good friends I have here

MrsFychan Dec 26th 2012 1:11 am

sorry you had to work lisamct, but what a wonderful present for the new dad. poor baby will hate it no doubt in years to come :unsure:

Bev - sounds like a great Christmas and I'm glad to see things aren't getting you down as much as they seemed to be earlier on in the year.

Snap Shot - that sounds like a great day to, wished we had gone for a walk in the evening but kids didn't want to and they were having so much fun.

Sherlock - sounds your's wasn't to bad a day either :thumbup:

BEVS Dec 26th 2012 1:19 am

It was a scorcher wasn't it. Good intro to a Kiwi summer Christmas. :nod:

I spent the day with friends & then due to the nightmare noise issues at home ( it was banging) , I spent the night , lovely friends that they are :wub:
Pretty glad Mr BEVS is not here at the mo. It is a bit easier not to see him badly stressing over this ongoing problemo & to know he is having a good time with his Mom.

florabundi Dec 26th 2012 5:21 am

Our first too! Very warm, I think we topped 28 degrees. Lovely day as we had been asked to join another family, great company and lots of "White Cake" (Pavlova) to please the 7 year old. Missing the roaring fire and the dark of Scotland though, there's nothing like cosying up un Christmas night watching a movie or drinking nice whiskey with your family:) The first lot of visitors are coming in February:lol:

Assanah Dec 26th 2012 6:25 am

Another rainy and windy Christmas in Auckland. But friends and good food made it great.

Snap Shot Dec 26th 2012 6:32 am

Just got back from New Plymouth. We stopped in Hawera for lunch at the Gelatto Café. We had a lovely walk along the Coastal Pathway in New Plymouth. We drove home in the pouring rain. More pouring rain in Wanganui. Christmas in Summer in NZ ? Yeah right !

Did anyone have a Boxing Day barbeque planned today ? :rofl:

Or once we have paid our respects at the altar of the Christmas Eve barbeque we're free to go ?

HeatherGirl Dec 26th 2012 7:46 am

Lovely first Christmas for us. Surprised and delighted to have been invited to our landlord who have become good friends, for xmas lunch. Although they did have to run a cold bath to dip our Scottish legs in as it was over 30 degrees.

After lunch we relaxed in our hammock and watched the kids play in the paddling pool. A different kind of Christmas, but a good one none the less.:)

Now if I can just get my folks out for the next one it would be perfect!:fingerscrossed:

love30stm Dec 26th 2012 8:17 am

Doctor who Christmas special on Boxing Day kept me happy :rofl:

Catchafire Dec 26th 2012 7:31 pm

It was a great Christmas, very relaxing, BBQ on the deck, chilled wine, kids happy with Santa, hot day, filled the paddling pool, ate to much.

BEVS Dec 26th 2012 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 10450634)
Doctor who Christmas special on Boxing Day kept me happy

It was a bit good. :thumbup: