Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

1st Kiwi Christmas

1st Kiwi Christmas

Old Dec 19th 2009, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1st Kiwi Christmas

Wow. Didn't know you could get the stands here. Thanks for that.
Yeah, just google the recipe - there are several versions and I'm dying to try it, but you need a BBQ with a hood.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Last year we wer at BOP for xmas at friends and we had a massive buffet kind of lunch, with chicken, ham, potatoes, salads, rice dishes , veges, plus trifle , pavlova, xmas pud , even though it wasnt a bbq it was very relaxed, no sitting round the table kinda thing, we were all in the garden having a drink ate dinner then all headed to the beach for sunbathing, was best christmas day i can remember no stress , just pure relaxation

not sure yet what we will do this year , think probably a bbq though rather then the roast thing then of to the beach or vice versa
Old Dec 19th 2009, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

baldylocks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiwinow
Wow. Didn't know you could get the stands here. Thanks for that.
Yeah, just google the recipe - there are several versions and I'm dying to try it, but you need a BBQ with a hood.
Beer Butt Chicken can be done in the oven too, just make sure you drink about a quarter of the can of beer first you can then add herbs into the can before insertion, this gives extra flavour, ( best chicken i have ever tasted )
Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:22 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

This year we are going to a friends house for a champagne breakfast first. Then home and off to another friends house for a trad. turkey roast.
Boxing Day will be our chill out day .

One of our best Christmas Days here was camping with friends and a simple BBQ.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:48 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 1st Kiwi Christmas

Originally Posted by colandros
Can someboby please explain this cooking method for me?? I'm completely lost.
Cooking is something girlfriends/partners/wives do for boyfriends/partners/husbands* (respectively). I’m no expert but after extensive observations about cooking (mostly standing next to my girlfriend and asking repeatedly “Is it ready yet?” every 30 seconds much to her annoyance ) it appears that cooking is a series of techniques that make food warm utilising convection, conduction and irradiation.

However the full process may involve many steps from turning the raw foodstuffs into cooked foodstuffs. Peeling, mashing, mixing, chopping and many other processes can be utilised to change the texture of the food. Sometimes this can be done using a sort of written procedure called a “Recipe” and other times the woman doing the cooking thing can do so without any guidance.

I’ve never seen the appeal but have often wondered if one could invent a cooking machine (no doubt if it was men that cooked this would have been automated years ago).

* Or for money in the case of that man who shouts a lot on the TV.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

garfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Cooking is something girlfriends/partners/wives do for boyfriends/partners/husbands* (respectively). I’m no expert but after extensive observations about cooking (mostly standing next to my girlfriend and asking repeatedly “Is it ready yet?” every 30 seconds much to her annoyance ) it appears that cooking is a series of techniques that make food warm utilising convection, conduction and irradiation.

However the full process may involve many steps from turning the raw foodstuffs into cooked foodstuffs. Peeling, mashing, mixing, chopping and many other processes can be utilised to change the texture of the food. Sometimes this can be done using a sort of written procedure called a “Recipe” and other times the woman doing the cooking thing can do so without any guidance.

I’ve never seen the appeal but have often wondered if one could invent a cooking machine (no doubt if it was men that cooked this would have been automated years ago).

* Or for money in the case of that man who shouts a lot on the TV.
Haaa but we mere men do cook................. hence the BBQ, male domain in many circumstances
Not quite automated I know but none the less.................
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 12:23 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't until I started reading this site that I had any idea 'everyone' did BBQs and especially BBQ on the beach in this country!

Nobody I knew did. Cold meats & salads yes. BBQ - not so much. Although, I do know people who over the last couple of years have decided to BBQ some foods.

Recent thing though.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 12:24 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, most of my Christmases have been what Carolineshewan describes.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

You know when I started this thread I never thought it would end up containing the phrase

"beer in the butt chicken"

HAHAHA! Thanks for the great ideas though everyone. We've been in Auckland 4 days now and loving it. Only stopping in a serviced apartment in the centre until after the holidays and will then look to get somewhere perm in one of the suburbs.

Thanks for the tips on public transport over xmas. Will have a look where we can get to a beach with that.

Thinking now we will end up trying to do a small turkey in the oven in the apartment. After spending 6 months living in a small campervan in Oz, the novelty of having an oven is just too good to pass up. Plus we brought a Pavlova base today so that'll go down nice too!
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=AndyR;8190801]You know when I started this thread I never thought it would end up containing the phrase

"beer in the butt chicken"

QUOTE]

Asked my cuzzy about this, he'd never heard of it! I googled it and found loads of receipe ideas!